johooz

LODI wingsuit ban

WickedWingsuits

It's a good point. We did have a nasty flare gun injury so maybe the signs don't work....

I am curious why you are against structured teaching/instruction, yet started promoting/running your own brand affiliated teaching program at the same time as you where protesting the USPA one.

As its seems like you sacrifice actual control by an organisation to have personal control. Yet control thats not in any way binding when it comes to whats taught.

And step by step, DZ's now step in with their own variations of rules, that often end up way more strict or even completely retared compared to anything the USPA would have been pushing forward.

As to stickers 'working'. Ever been in a plane with those 'no farting' stickers?
Did those seem in any way effective?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

parachutist

In the not-too-distant past... maybe 3 months ago... you stopped by our DZ and you didn't like our WS rules. One of the most basic rules: You must have a log book. You were made aware of these rules before you even drove to our DZ, but you didn't produce a log book. We also require personal approval from the DZO. He asks you some questions, checks you out to make him confident you won't wreck the airplane, etc. Our DZO was out of town that day.

You filmed a video on your way home, saying you'd been wrongly discriminated against as a wingsuiter, and you shared that with FB. Because you had been made aware of these rules before you came here, and you didn't bother to schedule an appointment with the DZO or bring a log book, I don't believe a word you're saying about trying to convince Lodi to use strict rules.

Let me enlighten you:

3 Months agoPI went to your dropzone. Few days prior to go to your DZ I call your dropzone and asked about the WS rules. I was informed to come a little early because I would have to be pre-approved.

I show up, I was receive by the DZ Manager who called the DZO to come and inspect me he was out of the DZ.

I filling up a regular waiver, show my licence and certifications, show my packing card, I was request to show my AAD, I was Request to turn on my AAD, I was request to show that my AAD was not a faulty unit (service Bulletin). After this I was force to proved that I was capable of flying a wing suit.

When we got to the logbook I had forgotten my physical logbook, but I keep an electronic logbook in my computer, also I showed my Protrack and Alti track (Their dates match I had jumped a few days ago) I also show a dated video to prove that I was current, also all my licences and ratings where up to date.

After doing all this and waiting already for 3 hours and a half for the DZO I decided to leave.

My question was simple, why would you have a manager if they can't make decisions?

Yes the situation in Lodi sucks, but when WS where allowed you didn't have to get bill to approve you, he had people to do so. ;)
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

medusa

Let me enlighten you:

I'm not feeling enlightened, Jhonathan. What I see is someone who's bewildered about the basics of going to a new DZ. You didn't have a real log book, so you tried to create new ways around it. Unfortunately electronic altimeters are in no way tied directly to you.

Next you're complaining about what we call a "Gear Check". If there's an SB out on part of your gear, yes we'll check to make sure your equipment complies.

In addition to that, you could have scheduled an appointment at a time when the DZO would be in town. Happenstance timing doesn't work so well.

medusa

My question was simple, why would you have a manager if they can't make decisions?

Once upon a time, a turbine aircraft was grounded for weeks after a tail strike by a WS. The owner of the aircraft decided the best way to protect his awesome plane was to verify any future Ws'ers himself. It's pretty simple.

What strict rules/regulations did you suggest to Bill?

I thought there Cypres service bulletin was to simply press the button before each load to see if it is still functioning. Then at the next service it would get updated.

Does your DZ require everyone to get the firmware updated?
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

parachutist

Once upon a time, a turbine aircraft was grounded for weeks after a tail strike by a WS. The owner of the aircraft decided the best way to protect his awesome plane was to verify any future Ws'ers himself. It's pretty simple.

What is interesting about that position is the person who hit the tail would have passed every step of the checklist you have in place.

All I am pointing out is even the most qualified guys make mistakes. I am not suggesting your rules are too imposing. Your dropzone, your rules.

I have to admit I don't travel with my paper logbook. I do have an electronic photocopy of the last jump I recorded in it and Parlog for the rest. To date nobody has ever asked for either of those, including West Side Skydivers where I just turned up to last Friday. They were awesome by the way, nice new DZ, great pilot and staff. No hassle but plenty of safety.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

medusa

In the not-too-distant past... maybe 3 months ago... you stopped by our DZ and you didn't like our WS rules. One of the most basic rules: You must have a log book. You were made aware of these rules before you even drove to our DZ, but you didn't produce a log book. We also require personal approval from the DZO. He asks you some questions, checks you out to make him confident you won't wreck the airplane, etc. Our DZO was out of town that day.

You filmed a video on your way home, saying you'd been wrongly discriminated against as a wingsuiter, and you shared that with FB. Because you had been made aware of these rules before you came here, and you didn't bother to schedule an appointment with the DZO or bring a log book, I don't believe a word you're saying about trying to convince Lodi to use strict rules.

Let me enlighten you:

3 Months agoPI went to your dropzone. Few days prior to go to your DZ I call your dropzone and asked about the WS rules. I was informed to come a little early because I would have to be pre-approved.

I show up, I was receive by the DZ Manager who called the DZO to come and inspect me he was out of the DZ.

I filling up a regular waiver, show my licence and certifications, show my packing card, I was request to show my AAD, I was Request to turn on my AAD, I was request to show that my AAD was not a faulty unit (service Bulletin). After this I was force to proved that I was capable of flying a wing suit.

When we got to the logbook I had forgotten my physical logbook, but I keep an electronic logbook in my computer, also I showed my Protrack and Alti track (Their dates match I had jumped a few days ago) I also show a dated video to prove that I was current, also all my licences and ratings where up to date.

After doing all this and waiting already for 3 hours and a half for the DZO I decided to leave.

Yes the situation in Lodi sucks, but when WS where allowed you didn't have to get bill to approve you, he had people to do so. ;)

I stopped keeping a logbook in 2010. I guess I won't be going to Lodi. None of the other DZs I go to has ever asked for one.

Besides, a paper log book is not actual proof of anything at all.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

WickedWingsuits

I thought there Cypres service bulletin was to simply press the button before each load to see if it is still functioning. Then at the next service it would get updated.

Does your DZ require everyone to get the firmware updated?

No, they just need to know and follow the instructions in the SB. They could have also been checking to make sure the AAD got powered up at the DZ. We've had two cases of AADs firing because the owners jumped at one DZ, then drove up the coast to jump here without power cycling the AAD. Usually that won't happen with a Cypres because they'd probably be jumping different days, but it's a habit to check that when people drive here from out of town.

WickedWingsuits

What is interesting about that position is the person who hit the tail would have passed every step of the checklist you have in place.

I'm not sure he would've passed all those. Are you sure he went through a FFC? All I know is this jumper was local, jumping skyboards until he got those banned, then just started into WS. Also sitting exit has been required for all WS after this TS. The seated exit would've prevented it too.

WickedWingsuits

All I am pointing out is even the most qualified guys make mistakes.

Yep, everyone does sometimes.

WickedWingsuits

I have to admit I don't travel with my paper logbook. I do have an electronic photocopy of the last jump I recorded in it and Parlog for the rest. To date nobody has ever asked for either of those, including West Side Skydivers where I just turned up to last Friday. They were awesome by the way, nice new DZ, great pilot and staff. No hassle but plenty of safety.

I just call before going to a new DZ, asking what they'll require

normiss

^^^^^
THIS!!!!

Since having a D license....can someone enlighten me as to why I would need a paper log book?
Care to guess how many of those are works of fiction anyway?

AFFI course is first thing that comes to mind, aside from showing up at a new DZ where nobody knows you. Tandem rating too.

D
Coach
T-I
Pro
6300 jumps

I would be quite confused to not be able to jump at a new to me dz.

A paper logbook is worthless. In other words...if you really need me to produce one..."I uh ... left it in my car! Yea that's it" (come on man, we need our logbooks in the car)
10 minutes later, nice log book all filled out and signed.

:S:S:S

normiss

D
Coach
T-I
Pro
6300 jumps

A paper logbook is worthless. In other words...if you really need me to produce one..."I uh ... left it in my car! Yea that's it" (come on man, we need our logbooks in the car)

We can usually go around the lack of a log book by calling the last DZ you jumped at to verify you're current, instead of needing a log book. However add in a WS and more is required, like a personal interview. For all I know 5800 of your 6300 jumps could have been tandems. A log book would have your FFC signed and dated, as well as other details about your jumps.

No, it doesn't.
In fact very FEW of my log books have any detail beyond date and jump number unless it's memorable.
:S

If I need an interview with USPA credentials then I'm at the wrong DZ. Possibly confused over licensing needs as well.

Again, PAPER log books are WORTHLESS.

Note to self - on next trip to random dz, create a good log book on the way.
[:/]

parachutist

***D
Coach
T-I
Pro
6300 jumps

We can usually go around the lack of a log book by calling the last DZ you jumped at to verify you're current, instead of needing a log book. However add in a WS and more is required, like a personal interview. For all I know 5800 of your 6300 jumps could have been tandems. A log book would have your FFC signed and dated, as well as other details about your jumps.

To be honest it was quite entertaining, It felt like you guys where looking for excuses not to let me jump because I showed up with a WS.

The log book:
I showed a:
D
Coach
AFF Instructor
Pro

Two different digital altimeters and even dated video to prove that I was current.

I showed web pages where people referred to find Wing Suit instructors, I showed jumps I have participated on, a local WS jumper came to my help and toald the DZ manager and S&TA that I was qualify. The S&TA told that I had to exit while seated, wish I reply that I would be happy to do so.

At that point was when the Dz manager started literally crying, shaking and saying that she was going to lose her job.

So after waiting for almost 4 hours I decided I had better use of my time.
Medusa

Patent pending ATFK15456

normiss

No, it doesn't.
In fact very FEW of my log books have any detail beyond date and jump number unless it's memorable.

If I need an interview with USPA credentials then I'm at the wrong DZ. Possibly confused over licensing needs as well.

Is funny, next time you can go first to the gearshop, buy a logbook, filled up the first page and signed and this would be more valid to them :S
Medusa

Patent pending ATFK15456

normiss

No, it doesn't.

It's just funny that you're acting like log book is some new concept. Again, you have your opinion, and restating it in caps doesn't make it any more valid :p

correct me if im wrong but the whole ffc thing is a fairly new requirment no? what about people who were wingsuiting long before the bureaucracy tried to take control of wingsuiting? just trying to understand how that could even apply to folks that were doing it before there was even a consideration of a course to take?
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

medusa

To be honest it was quite entertaining, It felt like you guys where looking for excuses not to let me jump because I showed up with a WS.

The deal was you needed approval from one person who wasn't available. Nobody else was able to do it, even though they wanted to.

In your video blog you didn't seem very entertained. I was a little entertained because recently I'd seen your parody about the man crying over an untied shoe, and now it seemed you yourself were upset over something just as minor, and telling the world about how you'd been discriminated.

Oh well. In any case it's all on topic, because it's an indication that more DZs are putting up fences to screen out WS problems.

You never did elaborate about the strict rules you were suggesting to Bill. What would those be?