roam82

FFC with new canopy

roam82

Hi there,

I'm going from a sabre2 150 to a sabre2 135 ( loaded @ 1.25) and I was wondering how much experience on the new canopy would be recommended before trying a ws for the first time?

thanks!

F

Good for you for not wanting to do more than one thing at a time.
Being very familiar with the canopy is a good idea. nearly 1.3 at 200 jumps might be a tad aggressive depending on where you live, so I'd suggest considering that variable. If you can do the FFC on the lower wingloading, I'd recommend it.
Contrary to the other post, you certainly don't need a 7 cell for WS. :S

Depends on the line twists. Should fly generally straight in twists, but if you wind up with really asymmetrical risers, then it can spin you into the ground like crazy. Youll be pulling quite high on your first few wingsuit jumps anyway, should have time to deal with problems should they occur.

roam82

Hi there,

I'm going from a sabre2 150 to a sabre2 135 ( loaded @ 1.25) and I was wondering how much experience on the new canopy would be recommended before trying a ws for the first time?

thanks!

F

I would wait until you no longer consider the 135 to be "new". Just like skydiving in general it is best not to stack too much "new" into a single jump. If you are in a hurry to bang out an FFC then stick with the 150.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Don't forget the snivel on opening with a 9 cell high performance canopy cuz if ur worried about lines twist also think about the 800 - 1000 feet you loose on opening.. Getting use to my Katana 150 from a Sabre 150 was a big difference. It is recommend to go for a PD Storm 7 cell or something like that which i may be doing in the future, but the flight characteristics of the Katana are addictive.. Double edged sword lowered more predictable opening with a Storm or open high and hang on with a Katana.. :S

I think the 9 cell vs 7 cells in wingusiting is simply because many BASE jumpers prefer to always be on a 7 cell platform. If you have no interest in BASE or don't care about switching platforms then it is irrelevant.

I had just as many good and bad experiences on my Pilot as I do my Storm.

WickedWingsuits

I think the 9 cell vs 7 cells in wingusiting is simply because many BASE jumpers prefer to always be on a 7 cell platform. If you have no interest in BASE or don't care about switching platforms then it is irrelevant.

simon i usually agree with you, but on this topic i dont fully agree. a doscile 9 cell (mostly square) is acceptable, but when you start delving into the fully eliptical 9 cells i cant agree with that train of thought at all. they do spin up faster, no question about it. if the pilot is very current under the wing i might somewhat agree with your train of thought, but a person with a new canopy should err on the side of caution, specifically with a new eliptical canopy
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

roostnureye

simon i usually agree with you, but on this topic i dont fully agree. a doscile 9 cell (mostly square) is acceptable, but when you start delving into the fully eliptical 9 cells i cant agree with that train of thought at all. they do spin up faster, no question about it. if the pilot is very current under the wing i might somewhat agree with your train of thought, but a person with a new canopy should err on the side of caution, specifically with a new eliptical canopy

Sure, I wasn't saying anything about elliptical. All I am saying is I think this "7 cell for wingsuiting" is rooted in some wingsuiters always wanting to be on a 7 cell platform.

I don't have any experience with elliptical canopies myself so I always ask my new students to stick to a semi-elliptical\square until they understand the opening sequence enough to make their own choices.

roostnureye

It's a Sabre2 135 not a Katana. OP I'd keep your 150 for a while until you get used to wingsuiting OR put some jumps on your 135 to get the hang of it. I recently made that move at a higher wingloading and the 135 is significantly more responsive to any input.

If you know how to use your wings you can get out of linetwists fairly easy.
Just gotta use the relative "wind" against your wings to spin you out of them.
There is a how-to video floating around somewhere...can't seem to find it atm.

Shredex

If you know how to use your wings you can get out of linetwists fairly easy.
Just gotta use the relative "wind" against your wings to spin you out of them.
There is a how-to video floating around somewhere...can't seem to find it atm.

A-not something that should be taught on a proper FFC
B-for someone on their FFC, they run a 50/50 chance of putting out the wrong wing.

pattersd

C- for someone on their 1000th wingsuit jump, the odds are still only 70-30 you stick out the right wing.

I was trying to avoid giving the stoners anything to argue about. after all "How hard can it be?":P