fastkite

Wingsuit HUD next generation

I have been busy all winter developing a system of collecting data used to measure performance of aircraft and apply it to Wingsuiting and Canopy flight. I've recently assembled a couple prototypes upon which the technology is being proven out. So far the results are very encouraging for collecting and relaying information to a canopy pilot. The next goal is to translate this technology to the Wingsuit pilot.

One of main problems with the FlightHUD is most of the information is GPS based with a low sample rate and resolution. The result is wind, and descent rate skew the speed information reported back to you making it difficult to fine tune your flight performance for optimal glide, minimum descent rate, maximum speed, or minimum speed for example.

The goal is to create the same type of instrumentation a pilot uses to fly an airplane and make them available to a wingsuit pilot through the HUD. See the attached image of the current prototype.

The first and most important step was made possibly by Recon Instruments by creating an affordable HUD which fits nicely inside a skydiving helmet (Cookie G3 helmet with an add-on). In the future perhaps the Google Glass will open this capabilities of this technology further.

The second step was to create a small, light, battery operated air data probe which could collect data and delver it wirelessly to a mobile device. I created two versions, one flying version intended for canopy performance testing, one helmet mounted version intended for wingsuit and canopy flying. Although the first prototype was created in less than a week, it took 5 months before a functional prototype was test flown as part of a skydive.

The forth step was to create a mobile platform upon which the data can be collected, and studied. So far I've created apps for iPhone and Android for this function. I tried chest mounting these with limited success due mainly to the reflections caused by the phone case I was using. It does however offer an alternative to using a HUD.

The fifth step was to transfer this information to a HUD. Recon Instruments released the MOD Live which allows custom programming (unlike the MOD or FlightHUD). Unfortunately there is no FlightHUD software for the MOD Live so I started by re-writing portions of this software and making some improvements. I am looking forward to adding some features and hearing about features you may like to see.

- Airspeed
- Altitude
- Descent Rate
- Glide Angle
- Distance to DZ
- DZ Elevation settable & saveable instead of pressing the remote for 1m increments so you can turn off your flight HUD and turn it back on without having to reset the field elevation
- DZ location settable
- Relative Bearing to the DZ (graphical representation of where the DZ is including a backfly mode)
- Warning if glide won't return you to the DZ with set safety altitude
- Remove the 'max speed' pop-ups
- Log your flight data for later review

fastkite

I have thought about making it rotate into the relative air flow, though I haven't figured out a clean way to do that.

And yes, I do believe sporting one of these will make you popular with the ladies! LOL

You could try using a balls bearing with angle's limiter to avoid the complete rotations and blind angle.
Just to give you an idea on EuroFighter there are mobile ADT (air data transducers) below the nose and they rotate (with a limitated angles) in the relative wind.
Just my 0,0001cent
M