Chris-Ottawa

Flysight vs Recon Instruments

General article on this stuff...

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/hitech-goggles-open-up-new-dimensions-in-vision-20130422-2i9nh.html

Therein lies the rub. Safety advocates say it is not possible, as seductive as it might sound, to take in simultaneously two streams of information: the real-life action, and the virtual performance data.
"You're effectively skiing blind; you're going to miss a mogul or hit somebody," said David Strayer, a neuroscientist at the University of Utah, in Salt Lake City, who for more than two decades has studied the science of attention and distraction. Even the briefest glance at the information takes over a skier's field of vision and focus, he said.

I am not an advocate of those goggles in any way. But consider the statement in the link, “Even the briefest glance at the information takes over a skier's field of vision and focus, he said.”, So I think, “What happens when we look in the rear view mirror of our car, while driving?” The same thing. Just saying.

Not really in my opinion.

Looking in the mirrors is something you have to do to be safe, I would say it would equal to changing radiostation or trying to find the sunglasses

I am not an advocate of those goggles in any way. But consider the statement in the link, “Even the briefest glance at the information takes over a skier's field of vision and focus, he said.”, So I think, “What happens when we look in the rear view mirror of our car, while driving?” The same thing. Just saying.

There is no aspect of driving a vehicle that would equate to shifting ocular focus while inhibiting peripheral vision.
Perhaps if you equated it to trying to inspect a piece of dirt in your eye in the rearview mirror while driving....
Rearview mirror doesn't occlude a large part of the windshield, doesn't affect peripheral vision, and doesn't require the eye to refocus.
All that, without managing the data acquisition/processing.

There is no aspect of driving a vehicle that would equate to shifting ocular focus while inhibiting peripheral vision.
Perhaps if you equated it to trying to inspect a piece of dirt in your eye in the rearview mirror while driving....
Rearview mirror doesn't occlude a large part of the windshield, doesn't affect peripheral vision, and doesn't require the eye to refocus.

While I completely agree with the blockage of peripheral vision, and that they shouldn't be used on flocks, your comparison is absurd. Last time I checked, the Recon didn't dig into your eye and occupy one or two hands to hold it there ("dig it out").

The comparison of looking at your radio or GPS in your car would be more accurate. Your eyes are removed from the road, you glance at the radio/gps screen, acquire the info you were after (time, speed, odometer, track, station etc), and you return your eyes to the road. Let's not make this Recon thing a personal vendetta to not see them in the wingsuit world.

If someone goes on a jump and stares at it to improve their speed/glide etc....yeah, in that case, it's no different than "digging something out of your eye", or putting makeup on, or reading your cell phone.

I still agree that the Recon seems like an inferior solution, but I do think it's very cool and would be useful for solo flights. I will almost certainly be buying a Flysight.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

While I completely agree with the blockage of peripheral vision, and that they shouldn't be used on flocks, your comparison is absurd. Last time I checked, the Recon didn't dig into your eye and occupy one or two hands to hold it there ("dig it out").

The comparison of looking at your radio or GPS in your car would be more accurate. Your eyes are removed from the road, you glance at the radio/gps screen, acquire the info you were after (time, speed, odometer, track, station etc), and you return your eyes to the road. Let's not make this Recon thing a personal vendetta to not see them in the wingsuit world.

If someone goes on a jump and stares at it to improve their speed/glide etc....yeah, in that case, it's no different than "digging something out of your eye", or putting makeup on, or reading your cell phone.

I still agree that the Recon seems like an inferior solution, but I do think it's very cool and would be useful for solo flights. I will almost certainly be buying a Flysight.

Agreed, the concept of using two hands is a little absurd.:P That wasn't my intent. However...

I'll continue to differ. Looking at a radio 24-30" away does not require refocus.
Although the psuedo hud is focused for the eye, it does require refocus, and does have an impact on peripheral vision.
All that, without considering the data comprehension/processing.

If I had the resources I would design one that is a lens that sits in front of my visor and shows the exact same HUD as jet fighters do. Of course the actually reading device would have to be strapped somewhere on your torso... But crap...wish NASA would become interested in wingsuits lol