uberchris

big suit progression question

a wise man, who happened to be my FFC instructor, once told me that its not necessarily about the number of wingsuit jumps you have on your suit (my current one being a P3 which i plan to skydive with for a long time...), but wether or not you have been in the complete shits before, IE severe flat spins, really nasty cutaways, etc., and dealt with it like a pro in your current suit......

how many of you that are jumping apaches, x-birds, colugos, etc. have really been in the shits, and how many of you have simply gotten a shitload of wingsuit jumps and moved up to the flying carpets?

just curious
thanks
gravity brings me down.........

I did both.
Got years in on Birdman Gti and S-6, didn't get in real trouble till the S-6, handled it ok but butched the reserve landing something wicked, (ICU for the night wicked), end of following year moved up to S-bird, 2 years on that, moved up to Apache XRW by which time I'd worked my way up to freeflying the thing headdown.

The thing to do is to get used to dominating your smaller suit. Get comfy with it, then get radical, do acro, or rough and tumble burbley flocks with your mates... flip and spin till you can recover from anything in a half-twist. Keep at it and you'll get quicker and quicker on the recovery. This makes you essentially flatspin-proof... things start to rotate you just flip over and stop it whenever you want. Then you're ready for the big suit and when it gets you, it might take another flip or two for you to catch and tame it, but you'll have the tools, tricks and skills to do so, it'll be just like what you mastered in the little suit only more so.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

re: the rough and tumble burble flocks you mention...

It's very interesting to watch those happen with new flyers vs very experienced flyers. When a new flyer hits a burble, he collides with the burble's owner, and then goes into a 1000 foot tumble which he later calls a terrifying flat spin.

When a very experienced flyer hits a burble, he bumps into the burble's owner, smiles/laughs and pushes off, and keeps flying straight.

When you can do the latter in a burble situation, then you can feel more confident in your "flat spin" handling abilities. :)

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Fully agree there. Dealing with unstable moments in flight the wrong way is not a flat spin. I personaly have never seen a person or video of someone in an actual flatspin. I have seen people adopt a shit (fetal/asymetrical) body position that results in tumbling turns.

When you can fly your wingsuit in any orientation, up, down left and right. Thats the moment you can progress to big suits. Or stay with the small ones and have fun.

My FlatSpins video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3OGvwrDDi0

You dont need nasty spins and cutaways to deal with big suits. You need flying skills, and you dont get those by spending money on nylon. You get those by spending money on jumps.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

re: the rough and tumble burble flocks you mention...

It's very interesting to watch those happen with new flyers vs very experienced flyers. When a new flyer hits a burble, he collides with the burble's owner, and then goes into a 1000 foot tumble which he later calls a terrifying flat spin.

When a very experienced flyer hits a burble, he bumps into the burble's owner, smiles/laughs and pushes off flys a bit dirty, but keeps flying straight.

When you can do the latter in a burble situation, then you can feel more confident in your "flat spin" handling abilities. :)

There, I fixed it for you ;)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

You dont need nasty spins and cutaways to deal with big suits. You need flying skills, and you dont get those by spending money on nylon. You get those by spending money on jumps.

That's the absolute truth. And that does not mean going out by yourself and just flying on your damn belly for a minute from five grand. It means being as comfortable flying on your back as your are on your belly. It means being able to do sequential docks and acrobatic moves. Being able to float along stable on your bellly in your Phantom does not qualify you in any way to borrow your buddy's mega tarp. Even if you do get away with it, you'll definitely suck at it.

Chuck

Not sure I agree about the back flying. To me that's like saying to be on a serious belly jump you should have a good sit.

No doubt it makes you better, but it isn't for everyone and it has safety issues.

Respecting a good progression is as critical as it is in canopies. As we see over and over again that often goes out the window.

Also, not everyone needs the goal of a huge suit. The bigger the suit the less you can actually do with it. I still think a good all around suit is an R-Bird/Ghost kind of size.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

When I get into a new suit, I think it's good practice to try and get unstable on purpose. That way, when it happens when you aren't expecting it, you know what to do to get stable again.

Basically what others have said, fly the hell out of the suit you have, any way you can. Experience can never hurt.

Once you "own" a suit....once you feel naked if you don't have it on....once it is part of you...once you own the spot with it....you might be ready to upsize.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com