jrouse

Learning to wing suit

Hey guys question on Wing suiting. I have almost 50 jumps and I'm aware that most suggest 200 jumps before learning to wing suit. My question is, is there anywhere in the northeast United States where to learn to wing suit or someone that could teach me that you wing suiters would suggest? I really don't have a home DZ as I travel for work. I have been saving money in the intent to get the number of jumps and to learn to wing suit this summer so money really won't be a problem. I live in Pennsylvania just an FYI. Any advice on this or a path to take to get there is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Lovin every second of it!

We're definitely around and would be happy to talk with you. Take a look at the calendar on the Northeast Bird School website. This year, we will be doing a lot more events out of Jumptown and CPI (those events are currently on the calendar), but we're planning on scheduling at least one or two weekends at Pepperell and the Ranch (we'll add those to the calendar when we nail those dates down).

We have a 200 jump minimum, but we also have a number of things that we suggest thinking about and practicing before you get to that magic number, ranging from tracking and body flight to canopy accuracy (helpful if you've screwed up and have to land out). However, most of those suggestions are for when you're closer to around 150 to 175 jumps. For now, focus on developing rock solid and safe skydiving habits. Email us if you want to talk more: [email protected]

EDITED TO ADD: One thing worth mentioning - the "200 minimum recommendation" is no longer a recommendation, at least in the US. As of a couple of years ago, the SIM was amended to make it a Basic Safety Requirement that skydivers have at least 200 skydives and a current USPA license before wingsuiting. (SIM 2-1(J)(6)) http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section2/tabid/164/Default.aspx#21j

We look forward to having you join the flock when you're ready! :)

Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

If your home DZ is really Pepperell, you are surrounded by wingsuit instructors! Talk to them.

Yes Pepperell is where I'm planning on jumping the most. I actually got my A license in Deland Florida. I will definitely talk to some people at Pepperell next month when I go up for Saftey day. Thanks

We're definitely around and would be happy to talk with you. Take a look at the calendar on the Northeast Bird School website. This year, we will be doing a lot more events out of Jumptown and CPI (those events are currently on the calendar), but we're planning on scheduling at least one or two weekends at Pepperell and the Ranch (we'll add those to the calendar when we nail those dates down).

We have a 200 jump minimum, but we also have a number of things that we suggest thinking about and practicing before you get to that magic number, ranging from tracking and body flight to canopy accuracy (helpful if you've screwed up and have to land out). However, most of those suggestions are for when you're closer to around 150 to 175 jumps. For now, focus on developing rock solid and safe skydiving habits. Email us if you want to talk more: [email protected]

EDITED TO ADD: One thing worth mentioning - the "200 minimum recommendation" is no longer a recommendation, at least in the US. As of a couple of years ago, the SIM was amended to make it a Basic Safety Requirement that skydivers have at least 200 skydives and a current USPA license before wingsuiting. (SIM 2-1(J)(6)) http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section2/tabid/164/Default.aspx#21j

We look forward to having you join the flock when you're ready! :)

Skwrl thanks for the great information! I'll look you guys up when you come to Pepperell, as well as when I get a little closer to the required jump numbers. Mean while I'll take your advice and practice basic safe skydiving skills. Thanks again!

As Skwrl said, we'll be around a bunch of dropzones in the northeast all season, including a few trips to points further south (mid-atlantic region) here and there, so keep an eye on our calendar and if you see any of us at the dropzone, come say hi, we don't bite (much)

In the meantime, enjoy every single one of those 150+ regular jumps first... there's a ton of fun stuff to explore in skydiving.
Focus on becoming a well-rounded skydiver, spend some time getting good on your belly, get very aware of what's going on around you when jumping with other people (from small groups to larger ones), practice safe separation at break-off, solid altitude awareness, learn how to spot well and know where you are by more than just looking at the red light turning green at exit... and when you're ready, we'll be more than happy to make you a part of the flock!
The best path is one of accumulating experience.

who knows, when you get to 100+ jumps, if you've shown to be a safe, heads up jumper, I might take ya on a wingsuit rodeo just for a little preview :)

Feel free to PM me with any questions

As Skwrl said, we'll be around a bunch of dropzones in the northeast all season, including a few trips to points further south (mid-atlantic region) here and there, so keep an eye on our calendar and if you see any of us at the dropzone, come say hi, we don't bite (much)

In the meantime, enjoy every single one of those 150+ regular jumps first... there's a ton of fun stuff to explore in skydiving.
Focus on becoming a well-rounded skydiver, spend some time getting good on your belly, get very aware of what's going on around you when jumping with other people (from small groups to larger ones), practice safe separation at break-off, solid altitude awareness, learn how to spot well and know where you are by more than just looking at the red light turning green at exit... and when you're ready, we'll be more than happy to make you a part of the flock!
The best path is one of accumulating experience.

who knows, when you get to 100+ jumps, if you've shown to be a safe, heads up jumper, I might take ya on a wingsuit rodeo just for a little preview :)

Feel free to PM me with any questions

I'm totally down for that!!:)