df8m1

Any interest in a Wing Suit Specific AAD??

I have been trying to get a feel for the different disciplines desires for an AAD other than what is already on the market.

I have poked around here and see that there might be a need for an AAD that is just for wing suit flyers, and I thought I would ask.

I am working on Military AADs that are intelligent which is what is really needed with a wing suit due to the very slow vertical speeds you can achieve.

I am not a wing suit flyer so I thought I would put it out there and see how much of a real need there is as apposed to just a desire.

Open to all feed back.

with wingsuits getting fallrates close to canopy speeds, how would the AAD make the difference ?

If you are out of control/unconcious your fallrate would be signigicantly higher (than "normal" flight)

I do not recall ever hearing about a Wing Suit flyer going in because of an AAD not firing, but I see posts expressing concern that with a current AAD, a flyer could fly to the ground and the AAD would never fire. I find it hard to imagine that, given the slow vertical speed, a flyer would not notice they are low, but again, I am not a flyer.

This is a prefect example of the difference between a need and a desire. If the only concern is a loss of consciousness, then the current AADs will do the trick, no need to put the effort into a new unit.

Is the only concern loss of consciousness?

with wingsuits getting fallrates close to canopy speeds, how would the AAD make the difference ?

If you are out of control/unconcious your fallrate would be signigicantly higher (than "normal" flight)

I do not recall ever hearing about a Wing Suit flyer going in because of an AAD not firing, but I see posts expressing concern that with a current AAD, a flyer could fly to the ground and the AAD would never fire. I find it hard to imagine that, given the slow vertical speed, a flyer would not notice they are low, but again, I am not a flyer.

This is a prefect example of the difference between a need and a desire. If the only concern is a loss of consciousness, then the current AADs will do the trick, no need to put the effort into a new unit.

Is the only concern loss of consciousness?

For me? Yes. I guess additionally I'm concerned about being physically unable to deploy either my main or reserve for some reason. But if I can't pull the PC or the ripcord handle then I'm probably not capable of flying the suit anymore either.

>>>Any interest in a Wing Suit Specific AAD??

no

in 15 years of wingsuiting existing as a discipline, there hasn't been any (at least, widely known) case where a "ws-specific aad" would have made a difference

swooping is where an intelligent aad would be a superhit

>>>Any interest in a Wing Suit Specific AAD??

no

in 15 years of wingsuiting existing as a discipline, there hasn't been any (at least, widely known) case where a "ws-specific aad" would have made a difference

swooping is where an intelligent aad would be a superhit

Thanks, that is exactly the kind in incite that I am looking for.

I equate swoopers to Kamikazes lol…..Probibly should not have said that :)

I think in the case of lost conciousness a wingsuit flyer would be likely to reach speeds sufficient to trigger a normal AAD.

We have at least one case where a tail strike resulted in the loss of consciousness but the AAD still fired successfully.

Can you give some details on this? I'm familiar with Steve Harrington's death in 2009 (Elsinore, at the 68 Way), where he struck the tail and the AAD did activate, but the ground he exited over was significantly higher than the DZ and he impacted the ground before the reserve fully extracted. (I don't know if we ever got a definitive autopsy indicating whether he was dead on impact with the tail or the ground impact killed Steve.) Is there another incident where it saved a life? Or are you referring to Steve's situation, where the AAD technically "fired successfully" but not at an altitude that would permit the reserve to, you know, work.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Sqwrl,
That same week in 2009 during the record we had a jumper on my load saved by his Cypres after freefall collision while approaching the formation.
He landed on the golf course unconscious but was back (but not jumping) the next day.

Thanks, Michal - I'm familiar with that one as well. I just asked because Electronaut referenced a tail strike, not a mid-flight collision.

I think in the case of lost conciousness a wingsuit flyer would be likely to reach speeds sufficient to trigger a normal AAD.

We have at least one case where a tail strike resulted in the loss of consciousness but the AAD still fired successfully.

Can you give some details on this? I'm familiar with Steve Harrington's death in 2009 (Elsinore, at the 68 Way), where he struck the tail and the AAD did activate, but the ground he exited over was significantly higher than the DZ and he impacted the ground before the reserve fully extracted. (I don't know if we ever got a definitive autopsy indicating whether he was dead on impact with the tail or the ground impact killed Steve.) Is there another incident where it saved a life? Or are you referring to Steve's situation, where the AAD technically "fired successfully" but not at an altitude that would permit the reserve to, you know, work.

Steve's is the one I'm talking about. Everything I've read showed it had fired in the correct parameters. Is this not correct?

Sqwrl,
That same week in 2009 during the record we had a jumper on my load saved by his Cypres after freefall collision while approaching the formation.
He landed on the golf course unconscious but was back (but not jumping) the next day.

Thanks, Michal - I'm familiar with that one as well. I just asked because Electronaut referenced a tail strike, not a mid-flight collision.

ahh, true - my misread B|

Steve's is the one I'm talking about. Everything I've read showed it had fired in the correct parameters. Is this not correct?

That's consistent with what I've heard, yes.