justincolebriss

The Book of Wingsuit Formations

I recently got my hands on this book and gave it the once over and was pleasantly surprised. After going through the first pages I was surprised at the actual REAL content that was included. Great information about each step to successfully enjoy each flight. What I liked even more was the little helpful reminders that are spread out throughout the book. Those little bits of knowledge actually tell a great story about all the little tricks and safety reminders to keep you steadily improving different aspects of your flight.

All in all I think this is a must have for all wingsuiters and DZs because of the amount of knowledge and safety tools that everyone can be reminded of.

What did you guys think?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Wingsuit-Formations-ebook/dp/B00BNHQ9U4/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1363667383&sr=1-1&keywords=wingsuit+formations
Do you know GARY LUCAS? He represents, or used to be Karnage Krew aka KKrew Skydiving Pty Ltd. I am looking for him, please contact me if you know his whereabouts.

I'm kinda surprised anyone around here noticed it. :)
Although there are 1200 formations in the book, it's really the safety/organizing/briefing sections that were the most fun.
And to say it again to all the pro's that contributed tips in the book, "Thanks!"

I'd love to see a paper version of this book ;)

So would I. The book has to be printed in color, and for the limited number of runs (there just aren't that many wingsuiters), the book cost would be over 100.00. I just can't see making that sort of investment. :|

While I was writing, I did do a couple color prints; one at Kinkos (cost me 167.00) and one on my printer (cost me 96.00 in replacement carts).

I really did look hard at finding a way to print. It is available to purchasers to print via Lulu (and soon other sites), but the cost will still be in the mid 100.00 range.
A very secondary reason for avoiding paper is that the book is being updated even now, and will be updated a couple times a year. I'm not thrilled with how many 3D formations are found in the book, and want to see those expand. There are plenty of belly, back, hybrid, and verticals in the book, but 3D isn't nearly as robust as it could be.

Thanks for being interested.:)

I want to slip in a question related to a statement in the book.

"When flocking, the smart jumper will fly the smaller suit at 70% of its performance level, rather than the big suit awkwardly at 30%. This will give you more options in your flying. You can fly comfortably and cleanly without over exertion, but still have power in reserve for when you need it."

The terms "small" and "large" are relative.
I am 6'1" 165lb and plan to fly an R-bird when I get up to a suitable skill level. Would an R-bird put me in that 70% perfornance range with a group of average type flock birds? I know you could see groups that were weighted one way or the other and you really need to fit the group. The question is "in general....."
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I am 175 and the R Bird is by far my favorite suit for flocking. It certainly isn't a big suit.

One thing to remember when going for a "small" suit is holding your slot in the formation is only a third of the flight. You have to get there, possibly recovering from a baulked exit. Then you have to get out of town when the time comes.

At the opposite end a "large" suit is not only a nightmare for the person flying it but is the worst thing to try and hold a slot around. It feels like you will get taken out every second of the flock...and then it happens now and again. Big suits can create big waves. A good pilot however can control a suit on either end and picks the right tool for the job.

It isn't just size, some suits are just not designed for slower flocking speeds. Just like a dragster isn't going to handle a NASCAR track so well.

I totally agree that one mans large is another mans small! Just like canopies.

Just as your quote says it is about %'s and that % changes as you get to know the parameters of a suit.

Know your tools and dress for success!
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

The Rbird is a great suit for most flocking, and at any experience level, is a great suit to learn and do some acrobatics in. If you stay in it long enough, you'll become a very good wingsuit pilot when you reach the point that you can not only flock, but do acro with dynamic transitions.
All in all, large/small aren't that relative, it's wingloading. Overall, smaller suits allow for better performance in dynamic flocks.
Don't worry about a bigger suit (at all) for the first couple hundred jumps. We recently saw the result of a last man-out-chasing a flock scenario; someone died trying too hard to catch a flock....(you have the photo in the book). His was a fairly "small" suit. You'll dig the Rbird for a while.

Thanks both of you. It seems to be a good middle of the road fit. Just wanted some feedback in light of that comment. I like to get stuff and stick with it. I am still on my first canopy. The R-bird will be "it" for a good while.

Hey so how does this work exactly? I download the file on my laptop but then can I transfer it to any iOS/Android/eReader device or will I have to select a specific version for any device? What file type will I be downloading?

Hey so how does this work exactly? I download the file on my laptop but then can I transfer it to any iOS/Android/eReader device or will I have to select a specific version for any device? What file type will I be downloading?

When you buy the book from Amazon, you'll want to do it via a Kindle reader or an application that is kindle-compatible.

It lives in the Amazon cloud, so as long as you have an amazon account and a device/app that will display the book, you can read anywhere.
The primary idea for the book is to have it available on a tablet at the DZ or in planning a formation.
There is a free app for pc and Apple systems, and the book will open on the Linux systems using Amazon Cloud Reader.
The file format is a .mobi file wrapped in Amazon Kindle security.

When you buy the book from Amazon, you'll want to do it via a Kindle reader or an application that is kindle-compatible.

It lives in the Amazon cloud, so as long as you have an amazon account and a device/app that will display the book, you can read anywhere.
The primary idea for the book is to have it available on a tablet at the DZ or in planning a formation.
There is a free app for pc and Apple systems, and the book will open on the Linux systems using Amazon Cloud Reader.
The file format is a .mobi file wrapped in Amazon Kindle security.

Thank you sir!

There are companies that print the Kindle books.
With all the color, the cost of a print is a couple hundred bucks.
In quantity, the best price i could get the book printed would cause an end price of around 85.00. I dunno about you, but I wouldn't pay 85.00 for most any book.:P

Hey so when you say "it lives in the Amazon cloud" does that mean I need internet to access it every time or I can download it and read it in the subway/car/airplane?

I downloaded it to my PC and I think that is where it is viewing from. I can pull the network cable and check it to be sure.

I did notice a feature on the Amazon page where I can loan the book out. I am guessing the rights I have to view it would be transfered for a period to my friend who I might loan to. That would suggest moving of the rights.

Hey so when you say "it lives in the Amazon cloud" does that mean I need internet to access it every time or I can download it and read it in the subway/car/airplane?

Yes to all of the above. You can locally download, and read it locally, or read it from the cloud. Or travel, realize you forgot to download it, and read it on the cloud or download to any device you have authorized on your Amazon account.
If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can loan the book to a friend for a period of time

I did notice a feature on the Amazon page where I can loan the book out. I am guessing the rights I have to view it would be transfered for a period to my friend who I might loan to. That would suggest moving of the rights.

The loan program is great. You can lend the book to a friend for 14 days, during which you won't be able to read the book yourself, no different than lending an analog book to a friend (you can't read it while they have it).
I didn't realize I couldn't read it, loaned my copy to a friend, and then found I couldn't read it on my cell any longer (even though it was a local copy).

LOL Just when I thought I had it figured out... So if you lend the cloud version to a friend you no longer have access to your copy on your device?

That's correct. Just like if you have a physical book and lend it to a friend, you cannot read it while he has it.

I am just confused about the fact that if it is physically on your tablet and you can access even when there is no internet connection how will it know if a friend has borrowed access to the cloud? Doesn't it have to connect to know?

I am just confused about the fact that if it is physically on your tablet and you can access even when there is no internet connection how will it know if a friend has borrowed access to the cloud? Doesn't it have to connect to know?

Simple. The "borrow" transaction probably only works if you both have internet access at that moment... or you have access at one point in time and give up your access (phase 1), and he has access at a later point in time and gains access (phase 2).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

no different than lending an analog book to a friend (you can't read it while they have it).
I didn't realize I couldn't read it, loaned my copy to

"analog book"...that is a new one on me. I know what you mean.

no different than lending an analog book to a friend (you can't read it while they have it).

You know... the one you play in an analog book deck. B|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

You know... the one you play in an analog book deck. B|

Like your lap top?