uberchris

P3 arm wing unzip

so i have a brand spankin new phantom3 that ive only put about 10 jumps on......
yesterday during the flight and during gear checks it was zipped and rigged up properly, but im assuming that i forgot to really tighten the little velcro tab that holds the zipper in place, and at some point (probably under canopy), the zipper completely unzipped itself and opened up (im talking about the zipper where you attach your rig to your WS)......
it kind of freaked me out but it was non eventful..........

anyone had this problem? i hope my description made sense.
gravity brings me down.........

When you state "the zipper completely unzipped itself and opened up" do you mean the entire zipper or part of the zipper. It's not uncommon for part of the zipper to open up during opening when you transition to sitting in the saddle.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I had a problem with my P2 last year which resembles your description: no issues during flight but would find that one of the shoulder zippers would open whilst under canopy.

I assumed the weak zipper would open when crimped under canopy, whatever the problem was I sent it back to Robi and he replaced both zippers and put a velcro tab on them (my model predates this practice). Never again had any issues.

O

Somewhat on topic... I noticed on my G3 that the velcro tabs on the shoulder zips (not present on my previous PF suit) are at the "bottom end" of the zipper... i.e. the end where you first assemble the zipper when zipping it up. So they don't actually prevent the zippers from coming "slightly undone" somewhere over the course of plane ride, freefall, deployment, etc. Not that the slight unzip really bothers me that much... if anything it is probably a good thing to allow it to unzip a bit when stressed, rather than stress a seam somewhere. If harness fit is not perfect, this is kind of equivalent to "skipping two tabs" on an older style suit.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

So they don't actually prevent the zippers from coming "slightly undone" somewhere over the course of plane ride, freefall, deployment, etc.

Thats by design. The zippers are intended to have the ability to slightly open up to allow the rig to ride up on deloyment or on sitting etc.
If the zipper would be locked, and the rig would push against it jump after jump, the load the zipper will take over time can start to damage the suit or MLW itself. So its intended to 'give' a little if needed on the backside.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thats by design. The zippers are intended to have the ability to slightly open up to allow the rig to ride up on deloyment or on sitting etc.
If the zipper would be locked, and the rig would push against it jump after jump, the load the zipper will take over time can start to damage the suit or MLW itself. So its intended to 'give' a little if needed on the backside.

That's the same conclusion I came to. :)

So its intended to 'give' a little if needed on the backside.

Just like a pony? :o
www.WingsuitPhotos.com