DSE

A learning video

Not sure if this came from the internet but alot of folks up here are disconnecting RSLs when jumping wingsuits and it sparked a big debate... Could it be that Europeans (mainly the French) do it? This was the origins with the discussion, I was told in France you CAN'T jump a wingsuit with an RSL! I thought that was a pretty stupid statement but when you don't have much experience people tend to not put much value in what you have to say so...

Use of the RSL is a personal choice, depends on main canopy, deployment altitudes etc - from a fast spinning mal with a big suit I would want time to get stable before pulling my reserve.

I agree with you James, except on the "getting stable" part... I limit my "getting stable" to getting sunny side up
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Agreed, a personal choice.
Having +/- 50 videos both outside and in, where the pilot is spinning, head down, upside down, rolling...and in every case, they've had a reasonably good canopy (if not perfect) above their head when the reserve comes out (much like this one, where the RSL would have given him greater working altitude).

Personal opinion aside, would you recommend that people missing the very high number of technical jumps that you have, keep their RSL connected until they're as experienced and instinctive as you are?

Have you had a cutaway where an RSL made the situation worse?

I see little sense in the argument against RSLs for wingsuiting, nor in general skydiving (CRW & oil rig style camera setups aside). They repeatedly solve more problems than they cause yet some people still seem to think they're designed to kill them.

I've had 2 W/S cutaways, one with skyhook, the other with just RSL and would recommend both to anyone (preferrably skyhook). If you have enough canopy above your head to make you spin unrecoverably, then when you get off it, you are thrown away from the centre feet first. The sooner another canopy is above your head, the more chance it has of opening cleanly. Delaying it just means your legwing will flip you over and you will end up head first travelling along the same radius (transitioning to straight down) trying to get stable whilst dizzy.

In this instance if he had a skyhook then he would have been even better off as he would probably only have to buy one new handle and may have also saved on a pair of pants too. :)

This is a great case against soft reserve handles. Here you have a 'less than' ideal situation, and if you watch the method in which he ends up getting the reaserve handle out, I would be surprised if he could have done that with a soft handle.

Agreed. Quite happy with my metal handle, even though I've never used the one on this rig.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

ive only got 25 wingies now and im routinely pulling BY 4k after waveoff........
after watching this video, it embaresses me to say that in my brand spanking new P3, i have only gone through pretending to pull my wing releases. im now going to make a habit of it on the ground, it takes only 2 fucking minutes to hook it back up.

and i suppose there would be nothing wrong with pulling my wing releases under a good canopy at sufficient altitude as well, just to get a feel for it, no?

this video really is a fucking AWESOME showcase and i thank the source for helping put noobs and wingers in check............
gravity brings me down.........

It's good to know how to use wing cut aways. But there was no reason this jumper needed to cut away or even unzip his wings. Chopping your main can be performed with wings fully zipped/connected. The only time I ever needed to use the cut away was for a broken arm zipper.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

from a fast spinning mal with a big suit I would want time to get stable before pulling my reserve.

Having witnessed a few big suit cutaways, the most stable moment they had was usually the first 2 seconds after the cutaway. When they picked up speed, they usually seem to start an end over end tumble.

I agree its a personal choice, but with big suits mine would be with an RSL/Skyhook.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

It's good to know how to use wing cut aways. But there was no reason this jumper needed to cut away or even unzip his wings. Chopping your main can be performed with wings fully zipped/connected. The only time I ever needed to use the cut away was for a broken arm zipper.

+111

Any decent FFC teaches you that if your canopy is not flyable, you cut it away just like you would without a wingsuit. The wing cutaways never come into play until you are ready to grab some toggle.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

It depends on the situation. On at least 2 or 3 occasions I've unzipped my arms and managed to wrestle my way out of a spinning 'malfunction' that I probably wouldn't have been able to do whilst zipped up. One of these was deep over a wood full of bears where chopping was the absolute last resort :) Generally I have at least one arm out before the canopy is even deployed fully anyhow.

It depends on the situation. On at least 2 or 3 occasions I've unzipped my arms and managed to wrestle my way out of a spinning 'malfunction' that I probably wouldn't have been able to do whilst zipped up. One of these was deep over a wood full of bears where chopping was the absolute last resort :) Generally I have at least one arm out before the canopy is even deployed fully anyhow.

At this point we are second-guessing what was in the jumper's head. I think Monkey's point was that assuming the jumper had no intentions of trying to untwist the canopy (and the video seems to support this), then he had no reason to unzip. We're all in agreement: the only reason you unzip is if you plan on flying the canopy above your head.

The reason it was noteworthy in this video was because he wasted a LOT of valuable time/altitude unzipping, and then never did even attempt to untwist the lines. He could have saved all that time and chopped while still zipped.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Thank you to the pilot for posting this video!

One thing that I wanted to mention is the legwing. Keep the legwing closed until you are under a good canopy. This should be trained in our EP drills we do.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

For comparison a Vid from last week at empuria.

The throw is not included in the vid - just the right turn when something starts to go wrong....

When it opened my head was forced forward by the risers - watching the vid I'm surprised how long it took to unzip the arms

Pulled at 4k - chopped at 2k when I realised I was going to run out of time before kicking the twists out. Lovely fast reserve deployment with the skyhook and no twists.

Interesting to note that after just 15 odd seconds of spinning how dizzy I was under the reserve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpOC8vze6o

Oh - and if anyone finds my watch I'd quite like it back.
Jump more, post less.

that's pretty well how all of them I've seen have gone with RSL or Skyhook.
I have a vid where a guy did cause linetwists in his reserve, no RSL, and he couldn't find his reserve handle. He'd packed himself a step-through (can't find the link just now). An RSL or Skyhook would have been better for him, too.

The throw is not included in the vid - just the right turn when something starts to go wrong....

So you threw before the video starts? Am I correct that at 0:06 when your feet swing up that was the end of your deployment? Seems like an awful long snivel... longer than 6 seconds by some unspecified amount?

Good clean chop. If I didn't jump cameras I would be all over a Skyhook.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

If I didn't jump cameras I would be all over a Skyhook.

Hey Matt... I am pretty sure I looked at your set up before, but I forget: do you use any other kind of RSL?

As you know, I jump a stupid large camera helmet (like you) but I decided to go with a Skyhook. For what it's worth, I've adjusted my EPs slightly as a result of that fact, though, for both entanglement malfunctions and non-entanglement malfunctions.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork