DSE

A learning video

hello
nice video :)i guess if you jump a small wingsuit and a big canopy, usually you dont have to cutaway and even if you do, you dont need a rsl, but as soon you find yourself in big wingsuit and small canopy, its like mccordia wrote, maybe better with a rsl...

This was a small wingsuit, and a 'big' canopy. An RSL would arguably been better in this situation.

an RSL or skyhook is a choice. but with the negatives mostly being based on 'I think that..' and the postives based on 'we've seen that...' I do know what I choose.

On my rig you see a connected RSL (skyhook) on every skydive I make.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

an RSL or skyhook is a choice. but with the negatives mostly being based on 'I think that..' and the postives based on 'we've seen that...' I do know what I choose.

On my rig you see a connected RSL (skyhook) on every skydive I make.

I'm in the pro-RSL (Skyhook specifically) camp as well.

There's one thing that people with large/tall camera set ups should be aware of when using the Skyhook... There's decent evidence that shows that if you have a low speed mal (i.e., line twists), the Skyhook changes the angle that the reserve comes out relative to the angle that it would come out if you are belly to Earth. (In other words, if you're belly to earth, it comes out more perpendicular to the jumper's body; if you're using a Skyhook and have a low speed mal, it comes out closer to parallel.) Most of the time, it's not going to be an issue, because if you are looking down at your cutaway handle, your chin is going to be tucked down and the tall/snaggy bits are going to be tilted away from the lanyard that connects the main and the reserve...

Despite that, I personally think the benefits outweigh the risks.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

First, you should always attempt to pull all handles in proper order during a malfunction. Second, if you don't use an RSL and have a malfunction in a wingsuit and decide to unzip your arm wings then make sure you have a handle in each hand as there have been occurrences of handles being covered by wings resulting in ... bad times.

PS: I just wanted to put this here because I've read it in other places where RSLs were being discussed. IF YOU HAVE AN RSL, DO NOT TRY TO BEAT IT!
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

PS: I just wanted to put this here because I've read it in other places where RSLs were being discussed. IF YOU HAVE AN RSL, DO NOT TRY TO BEAT YOUR IT!

Can you elaborate on that last sentence? I am not sure if there's a typo in there or what, but it makes no sense to me as written.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

PS: I just wanted to put this here because I've read it in other places where RSLs were being discussed. IF YOU HAVE AN RSL, DO NOT TRY TO BEAT IT!

Can you elaborate on that last sentence? I am not sure if there's a typo in there or what, but it makes no sense to me as written.

A while ago I read something along the lines of "after pulling my cut away the RSL pulled my reserve pin before I pulled my reserve handle but next time I have a malfunction I'm going to pull my reserve handle sooner to beat my RSL". They didn't understand why this was a bad idea (in most cases) ... :|
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

A while ago I read something along the lines of "after pulling my cut away the RSL pulled my reserve pin before I pulled my reserve handle but next time I have a malfunction I'm going to pull my reserve handle sooner to beat my RSL". They didn't understand why this was a bad idea (in most cases) ... :|

Your concern being that someone would be overzealous and release the reserve before fully cutting away?

I have not looked at a RSL up close in a long time, so I don't know precisely how they are implemented on most rigs, but I just looked at my wife's Wings with an RSL, and on that system, the handles can be pulled in either order with no problems (other than the obvious out of sequence cutaway/deployment). If the reserve pin has been pulled before the cutaway is complete, then the RSL will simply not pull it, but the main will continue to release as intended (again, ignoring the fact that you might be releasing it into a reserve due to the whole out of order thing).

What exactly are you referring to?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com