hjumper33

Squirrel Suit Colugo Review

Background: 3 skydives on my suit so far. It's my first apache class suit. Flew an S-bird and V4 before this suit

Flight: The suit was very easy to fly right out of the box. It has a ton of range. From steep diving flight to slow float, it does both exceptionally well. Just through the shoulder position you can dive the suit, no sweeping of the arms necessary. Small body position changes produce big outputs while not making the suit twitchy. Very stable, intuitive and effortless to fly at either extreme of the spectrum while still retaining crisp control and optimal pressurization.

Pressurization: Good luck collapsing your wings with even just a hair dryer blowing into your vents.

Pull: Ridiculously easy for such a flying carpet. It just doesn't stop flying....even when you (try to) drop your knees and stall this thing out before pitching (in fact you really can't). The pull is awesome. You can flock with phantoms with your hands in the pull position and still outfloat them and be more maneuverable. The arced cut of the arm wing makes it so that your hand is always resting on top of the wing. That combined with the high pressurization means that your wing does not start following your hand to the BOC but rather stays an inflated and functioning wing.

The sleeves: I have only worn a tshirt thus far so I don't know how well the system works with a bunch of layers. With that being said, I can easily collapse my slider without unzipping the arm wing. Works like a charm.

Love the suit

My suit just arrived and I will hopefully jump it this weekend if the weather clears up.

Since I can't give flight info yet, I can say the customer service and overall quality of this suit is exceptional. The suit fits great and looks even better. The ordering experience was a breeze and every detail of the delivery and packaging was well thought out. They even took the time to provide detailed tips and instructions for maintaining and flying the suit. Based on the experience thus far, I would highly recommend this company.

I will provide further information and photos soon.

bigbearfng

Any comparisons to TS SM1 yet?
Had to attach a pic of the original Colugo.....awesome little fliers!

You can't really compare those two suits because the SM1 is an old design that doesn't have nearly the same amount of surface area. The closest thing you can compare it to is the Apache or the Viper.

Shredex

***Any comparisons to TS SM1 yet?

You can't really compare those two suits because the SM1 is an old design that doesn't have nearly the same amount of surface area. The closest thing you can compare it to is the Apache or the Viper.

from everyone ive spoken with about the colugo they all claim its in the x1-x2 size range. mine will be here this week!!! ill report back my opinionwhen i get it!:)
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Shredex

***Any comparisons to TS SM1 yet?

Yes I realize I'm still flyin my old SM1....kids in college tend to limit your fun dollars!
I would like to know if anyone could give me an idea of the difference it would be from my old SM1. I just can't buy a new suit every 6 months when a new one comes out!

roostnureye

from everyone ive spoken with about the colugo they all claim its in the x1-x2 size range. mine will be here this week!!! ill report back my opinionwhen i get it!:)

Yup. We had Scotty lay his Colugo over his Apache XRW? suit in for a size comparison. Very similiar in size. Colugo beat it by having the grips point out to the side more which actually makes it much easier to hold then the TS version which points straight back. Some other minor stuff like how the tail inflated about 5 inches thicker

I had my arm inside the sleeves of both suits on the ground for test inflation, and the difference was that it felt like I was having my blood pressure checked on the Colugo vs the XRW lol

bigbearfng

I would like to know if anyone could give me an idea of the difference it would be from my old SM1.

From what I've heard about the mach1 while in an actual discussion about the Colugo, is that the Colugo is much easier to fly then the mach. This is second hand info though.

Shredex

Yup. We had Scotty lay his Colugo over his Apache XRW? suit in for a size comparison. Very similiar in size. Colugo beat it by having the grips point out to the side more which actually makes it much easier to hold then the TS version which points straight back. Some other minor stuff like how the tail inflated about 5 inches thicker

I had my arm inside the sleeves of both suits on the ground for test inflation, and the difference was that it felt like I was having my blood pressure checked on the Colugo vs the XRW lol

bigbearfng

I would like to know if anyone could give me an idea of the difference it would be from my old SM1.

From what I've heard about the mach1 while in an actual discussion about the Colugo, is that the Colugo is much easier to fly then the mach. This is second hand info though.

and scottys colugo still has the old style bootie/leg wing attachment, so the newer tail should be a little bigger
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Thank you!!!
I'm at the point that I can afford a new WS, but whatever I get I'll be flyin for a long time so would like to get one I won't regret or be disappointed with.

I've had a handful of jumps on my squirrel. I don't have experience with other large suits so as for flying characteristics I will leave those comparisons to others. I did want to mention, however, that the customer service was of an entirely different level than my last purchase. Every promise they made was met or exceeded and they reached out to me to see if I was having any fit issues. A+ service makes me happy that I chose Squirrel.

Just to add my 2 cents...flying my squirrel has made me fall in love with skydiving all over again. It's an amazing suit with a short learning curve. It likes to go REALLY fast, dives and carves like a dream, and is just an amazing suit. It's so much fun to fly and once you have it dialed in its like its flying on rails. It has a HUGE range of motion as well. You can dive at a tandem, carve around them, then flare it out big time and get it flying really slow while waving at the tandem pax :P

I initially had a concern with the leg wing pressure. Once it's pressurized that's it there is no collapsing it. Forget trying to shut it down to open I can't even manage to click my feet together to signal breakoff. Now instead of collapsing the wings at pull time i just bring my arms back to full flight (without the grippers) while "sitting up" to flare the suit as the canopy extracts and my openings have been fairly solid. (On a crossfire no less.) That being said it's really no problem if you're used to wingsuit base deployments anyway.

The only larger suit we have laid it out on/next to so far is an SX2. The leg wing is almost identical (X2 leg) but you can see the grippers and arm wing extend a few inches longer and there is an additional 1.5-2 inches of wing down the side as well.

Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

Day of relaxing in the middle of a long base trip to add some more thoughts. Ive been flying my colugo all over europe, and I can honestly without and bias say that this is the best wingsuit ive ever flown without a doubt. Ease of use, amazing agility for size, great glide (tip, try pushing your grippers slightly forward and see what happens). Id say im a pretty average wingsuit pilot, and ive been having so much fun its unreal. I also am really liking flaring out before pull, and then slightly dripping my knees to slow the suit a lot and then pitching.