team_skyflash

Project for Backpack-Wingpack / Backpack-Airplane

Say it anyway you want, but the minimum controllable airspeed for that wing is going to be well into the range that could kill a pilot, especially given the orientation of the pilot on your 'aircraft'.

If you can come up with a way to flight test your wing without flying, maybe you could share that with us. If you can come up with a way to fly your aircraft with the risk of a take-off and landing (besides an aircraft based launch and parachute based landing), maybe share those details as well. Inquiring minds want to know..,

r those round sticks in aech wing from shovels? i want to copy your amazing technology and mass-produce jet backpack with wings
i just need to find cheap components
found this on alibaba - shovel sticks $0.20 each
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/450161413/wooden_shovel_stick.html
or sticks have to be the product of german engineering?

It's absolutely absurd. You really should abandon everything now and take whatever losses rather than invest more time and money. Honestly, I feel that you are foolish to do this and lack the basic understanding or engineering, sorry, but I am 100% sure you would die if you ever tried to fly that thing or anything similar.

I'm trying to be honest and do you a favour, nothing else.

I wouldn't worry too much. I did some calculations with the data he provides on the wing, engines, etc. and the drag he'd be having at the speeds necessary to get enough lift for take-off is higher than the thrust he's got available. [:/]

All said, even though that flying machine will never fly, he will still have enough speed and lift to go unstable and really hurt himself, so here is hoping for him seeing the light before it's too late.

All said, even though that flying machine will never fly, he will still have enough speed and lift to go unstable and really hurt himself

This is why I'm behind the concept of aircraft based launches and parachute based landings. If anything goes wrong, let it happen 1000's of feet from the planet with time/altitude to deploy a canopy.

Of course, the 'project leader' keeps talking about reaching 'hover speed' for testing, and I'm not eve sure what that is for a fixed wing craft. Technically, I guess if your airspeed matched the windspeed, you could hover, but the 'wing' in question is far from those types of flight speeds (or the planet is far from those types of wind speeds).

Based on his drawings, photos and data, i come up with a t-off speed of just under 100km/h, and a drag of roughly 60lbs.

Those engines have a combined power of just over 50lbf, so he can get fast enough for that wing to get lively for sure given a long enough runway.

I don't think there's much chance of lobbing that out of a plane in Europe though. Maybe he could take it to one of those 'junk' days out in the desert? :P

Why are there no information about the people behind the project and a way to contact them on the website? You do not want to be contacted?

It is not to difficult to find out who it is. His attempt of covering his identity is as amateurish as his believe in invulnerability. I think he knows at least that parts of his project are illegal without proper supervision.

Building windmills and building an aircraft (yes, it is an aircraft) might look similar, but it is different.

I think that having dreams is great...BUT... somehow if this whole thing is not a joke ,it looks dangereous....
Yves Rossy has been working
on his Jetman project since the 90ies. His number 1 priority has always been always safety. That´s why when he was trying new designs, he always jumped from a plane at high altitudes .
He has been out a control many times ,including flat spins.
Even with his background as jet fighter pilot, wingsuiter and skysurfer, the only thing that saved him in some cases, was the the extra altitude and the possibility to release the wing ( which has a recovery system ) and skydive back to safety. Even so , he ´s been lucky a few times.
Over the years, his wings have become very reliable, he can now fly in formation with other planes at different speeds, do loops, rolls and climb at more than 1000ft/min.
If anyone could take off with a jet powered wing today, it is probably Yves .
Why hasn´t he done it yet,...? because of his number 1 priority... safety. The risk is too big that if one of his engine quits at low altitude, he goes out of control.Remember these are RC engines, nowhere as reliable as real jet engines.

If you go to speeds fast enough to really lift your wing from the ground ( even only 2 feet high ), there´s enough energy there to flip the whole thing around into the ground in a split second ... Even with a ballistic emergency parachute, the pilot has no chance until he is higher than a few 100 feet off the ground.

check out Yves un-powered flights on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WAGx46KkkU
it gives you an idea of the speed these wing is going.

Your wing looks like a slower design, but still, you will have 120+kgs (250 + lbs) under a probably sub 3 sq. meter wing (less than 30 sq feet ), that´s a lot of wingloading...

If this project is not a joke, not sure what to say, except : try to be safe..

if this is a joke .... well done,better than those Dutch wingflappers ( but they were first......)
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com

So many pessimists... Where would we be if we didn't have crash test dummies pushing the boundaries of credibility every day?

I say keep it up. And if you get it off the ground put me in line for an early order!

Very big difference between pessimism and cautious realism. Note that these "pessimists" aren't saying the crazy project should be completely canceled... they're suggesting a smarter, safer way to go about it. If that's pessimistic, then I guess count me in.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Not saying I want anyone else hurt, but if we didn't have the people that put everything on the line to see if things could be done, we would never find out if they could be.

For those that are following, there are tried and tested ways of doing things. I'm all for safety when it comes to things that have been tested to breaking point. But for things that are new territory...

I really expected more from fellow wingsuiters... the freedom to fly the way we do is something we all wouldn't be able to enjoy if "pessimists" were the ones who were blazing the trails.

If only what was 'safe' was allowed to be tried, we wouldn't even be jumping wingsuits today. The hard core flat fliers would have us all turning points and only dreaming about the lines we could fly.

If this project isn't just a joke, and if everyone here is really as much of an expert as they make out, then why aren't there more real suggestions being put put as to how to make this project more feasible? But I guess i've answered my own question. Armchair experts spend more time complaining and whining about the ideas of others , and not enough time pondering what is possible and making their own dreams reality.

If only what was 'safe' was allowed to be tried, we wouldn't even be jumping wingsuits today. The hard core flat fliers would have us all turning points and only dreaming about the lines we could fly.

I'm one of the 'nay sayers', but just to be clear, there's nothing 'safe' about what I suggested.

I thought jumping it out of plane with a rig on was the best way to test the flight envelope, with no need for any 'flying' close to the ground.

I don't know about you, but when I think about tyring to get that thing in or out of a plane, and then freefalling with it, and then deploying with it, 'safe' is not the word that comes to mind.

It would be 'safer' than just trying to take off from ground level on flight #1, but still far from 'safe'.

If somebody is not pessimistic here, but realist, it would be Brokky. He has been around the sport for very long and has seen lots of the developments of variations of skydiving.
Also he has been following rather closely the evolution of the jetman project, even way before the jetwing existed he also has witnessed jumps on some crazy weird shaped stuff Yves has used.
Plus he did give the Wingpack project guys the best advice ever : play safe :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM