NeonLights

Proximity BASE

I was given it free with a V3. It was unwittingly written in crayon on the back of an air freshner that smells suspiciously of bubblegum. In layman's terms - use a credit card on a mirror and don't make them too big, otherwise your nose explodes.

I am using a length of string. I am only approved for traditional yarn right now but I am hoping to upgrade to twine soon

In 2013 we will be renting beginner and intermediate string.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Slinkies. I have it on good authority that it is calculated by the path produced by a Virtual Euclidean Ideal Slinky, simulated on 3d google maps.

Step sizes roughly analog to wing size can produce pinpoint accurate path rendering with some tuning of coil diameter, mass and step rate. So working up a path for a V4 might need a 200 kilo Ideal Slinky with a 6 foot coil diameter and a 30 step per second stepping rate, and for a Rebel you might start with the 266 kilo range slinky, 7 footer. Bit slower, maxes out around 24, maybe 24.5 steps/sec, but with the increased mass and stride length, does top the scoreboards for distance, steps a bit shallower, and can clear some talus slopes and trees the lighter, faster slinky might not.

Your mileage may vary of course.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Of course for night proximity flying there is always the spotlight method as pioneered by 617 Squadron. One maglight on your helmet looking down and another on your foot. To calibrate them, stand a distance away from a wall exactly equal to your carefully calculated balloon string length. Then adjust the maglights until the lights converge. Go hard & get video!

I could not find anything in my search so i appologize if this was covered before. How are lines calculated? Some look very very tricky to calculate successfully. Any info would be great, just curious.

I always thought everyone just asked GiselleMartins, since she's a paraglider pilot and fashion designer. :)
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

To calculate the line you must use the algorithm. Here is all we know about the algorithm

We did not invent the algorithm.
The algorithm consistently finds Jesus.
The algorithm killed Jeeves.
The algorithm is Banned In China.
The algorithm is from Jersey.
The algorithm constantly finds Jesus.
This is not the algorithm. This is close.
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

I always thought everyone just asked GiselleMartins, since she's a paraglider pilot and fashion designer. :)

And with that comment, the thread goes from humorous to hysterically hilarious.:D

So, she's the one in 5:10 of the new PF-Video??? Already thought this was a fake by Jarno and Need4Speed...

It is! More fun, although I dunno, the string method may actually be more flexible, depends on your training and skill, I mean, its easy now with yarn but when you step up to twine its a whole different story.

As for the slinky method, here's a small one I found training for the real deal.

Epic. Slinky. March. Hooah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=711bZ_pLusQ

This is one determined slinky lemme tellya.

When it grows up to full Ideal Slinky size it'll be set loose down an untested line in switzerland where hopefully it will march on to eternal glory. Rumor has it Tony has a bigger one in the development lab right now with a GPS based guidance system. Its a bit glitchy so far and has a tendency to entangle bystanders and knock down the occasional tree when it stumbles or goes off course, but he's making progress and we expect a preproduction prototype to be available for the most experienced users soon.

Just imagine this one 7 feet wide, weighing a good quarter ton stomping down a mountainside at 24 steps/sec! The debris cloud alone will be more awesome than anything anyone has EVER seen! I've already got my order in... I can't wait. Delivery does take time. You can't ship something this dangerous by any legal method so for now the plan is to set it loose with instructions and a map and have it march all the way from the plant in Florida to the user's place. So if you're driving someday and you see one of these things marching down the road, leave it alone... its just trying to get home, and there's some bird somewhere sitting at home watching the front step, eagerly awaiting its arrival and hoping against all odds that it makes it.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.