miconar

Aircraft Emergencies and students

Hi everyone!

I was wondering what current and active instructors/coaches out there are teaching with respect to aircraft emergencies, if at all.

I have my students board zipped up completely but the sleeves. I have had an experienced (not active) instructor tell me he always had his students zip up only at an altitude they are comfortable getting out in an emergency. The thinking is that with the suit on in an emergency there is a bigger chance for a rushed unstable exit by the student, and by going out unzipped they will have an easier time getting out stable and pull. Im not sure I agree. Im not sure how stable an unzipped student would be. Im pretty sure the main at least would be very difficult to locate.

So this got me thinking, and I dont remember every hearing any FFC dealing with AC emergencies.

I currently think that the right thing to do would be board zipped up and teach on the ground a faster emergency exit (pivot exit) with the wings closed, clear and pull reserve/main, before teaching the other emergency stuff, and making sure to practice the regular exit several times before and after to keep the most likely exit fresh.

I would really like to hear what other people think about teaching emergency exits to students.

Thank you!

I believe it is better to exit having control of the fabric.
Early on in my wingsuit career I had the choice of exiting the aircraft at 3500 agl or ride the plane down. I exited zipped in tracked off and pulled no problem. A friend just a while later was presented with the same choice he left unzipped. Once off the plane he began to pull but one of his arm wings inflated and his pilot chute bridle wraped around his arm. He pulled his reserve and luckly it cleared the horseshoe mal.
I explain this to any beginning wingsuiter
Kirk
He's dead Jim

They are not students. They are experienced skydivers with several hundred jumps. Give them your opinion and let them decide for themselves.

Sorry. But I've to disagree. It's a nice quote but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.
This is the first time for them and for them it's very hard to make the choice without experience.
That's why we have a FFC to tell them what we have learned. And of course you expect that the student does what you told him/her.

I think we have figured this out: "Fully suited up and ready to exit upon takeoff. " like Normiss said.
"The 'perfect' parachute jump was thought to be one where the opening shock and touchdown were simultaneous" -Lyle Cameron, ~1965
---
Falling-With-Style.com

Agreed on zipped up. I still think a fast emergency exit should be also be part of the ground school. I'd hate to have a student (or whatever you want to call them, I think students) unprepared in that situation.

The motivation to be zipped up is clearly that they can still get a 1 minute flight from a low altitude emergency exit!
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

have you ever done an exit with the wings unzipped? Highly recommended, especially for coaches. It's not the big deal some make it out to be.
Some thoughts to ponder;
Unzipped wings leave wingparts to catch on tandems, other parts of aircraft. Hurrying to a door might amplify the concern. Unzipped wings may impede access to handles, too.
Zipped wings mean restriction of movement. This might be an issue in a small aircraft such as a 182/206.
Zipped wings at boarding are never a good idea.

How many have had actual aircraft emergencies where an exit in a wingsuit was required? I have one from a 182, two from an Otter.
How does your DZ load wingsuits? Some load all tandems on one side, wings/AFF/fun jumpers on the other, while some simply put wings after tandems.

I've got my own experiences and opinions on the subject (discussed in a FB thread you participated in?) and interested in hearing thoughts.