Fronius

Fly Sight housing safety issue?

I've been owning my fly sight for a while now, and I guess I'm just been lazy to mount it on the helmet. So here the other day I've got a perfect idea for a housing. Heres what I did:

At a local hardware store I bought a 400V contact, cut off the lid of the contact and had to grind off 3 places inside the lid so that fly sight would fit in. The result is tight fit with enough room for plugging in the speakers.

The glue/silicon I'm going to use for placing it on the helmet is pretty strong hold (30kg/cm^2), and the spring on the lid is strong enough to withstand the airspeed (although I'm thinking to secure it with a rubber band just in case). The helmet I'm going to place it on is a factory diver, and the plan was to place it on the back of it.

At this stage I'm starting having second thoughts on my "patent" since my body position at the deployment with a wingsuit is not consistent (1 out of 5 ends up in 5-6 line-twist, what a great view btw). The lid is about an inch in height and it is round, so I don't think the risers could snag on it. But I'm just curious if some of you who are flying with fly sights on the back of your head ever experience risers snagging on them?

Cheers

Outside of the FlySight housing.
I often see people complain about their openings, yet only spend the last 5 seconds of their jump working on it.
It only takes one or two jumps of doing long (10 second) practice pulls, all the way down from exit to deployment, to work out the issues.

Make sure you're not de-arching at the hips (a very common problem) and are pulling symetricly (not pushing one shoulder into your harness due to reaching your PC). Dont wait for issues like that to sort itself out over time, but just spend a day doing some solo's working it out before it bites you.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Outside of the FlySight housing.
I often see people complain about their openings, yet only spend the last 5 seconds of their jump working on it.
It only takes one or two jumps of doing long (10 second) practice pulls, all the way down from exit to deployment, to work out the issues.

Make sure you're not de-arching at the hips (a very common problem) and are pulling symetricly (not pushing one shoulder into your harness due to reaching your PC). Dont wait for issues like that to sort itself out over time, but just spend a day doing some solo's working it out before it bites you.

Appreciate the advice, got some good PM's as well on that issue. Difficult to dedicate a day on soloflying once you start flying in groups, but I'm definitely seeing that it has to be done.

Just curious, does your Flysight get satellite capture with the lid closed?

Don't know yet. But it's made out of plastic, so I don't think it would be a problem.

Why don't you just stick it to your helmet with velcro tape, enjoy it and add a simple 5 dollar headset?

I'm guessing it is the simple way of doing it, and then I'm starting to believe that I'm over-engineered it quite by far. I've seen a couple of ways people have mount flysight's on and didn't felt for those, but non with velcro. Does it hold well? I mean helmets are not perfectly flat, do you get enough velcro surface to grip on?

Difficult to dedicate a day on soloflying once you start flying in groups,

That would actually make it even more important to deal with.
On a group jump an off-heading opening or linetwist can send you flying into another person and potentialy hurt or kill someone.

It may seem like a heavy way of putting it, but first deal with the skills needed to fly in groups and don't base it on luck and 'Ill do it at some point'. Make the next wingsuit jump you make one where you deal with this.

Basic safety is more important than fun or gps gizmos.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Heavy duty Velcro works well, Home Depot or Lowe's carries it. Been jumping a setup with that since the Flysight came out. Use Riggers tape around it to make it more secure.

Sounds lot more easier then my way, think I'm gonna have to try it out, thanks.

Basic safety is more important than fun or gps gizmos.

To justify my behavior I always waive off at around 5K while the rest of the guys continue on, because of what you are saying. And I'm not planning on getting closer to the ground in pulling moment until I figure it out. But I'll do the solo day next time I'll get the chance.

Thanks for the replies guys, cheers

On a group jump an off-heading opening or linetwist can send you flying into another person and potentialy hurt or kill someone.

[ironic mode]like THAT could happen, you drama queen[/ironic mode]
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM