jeb

Recon HUD for wing-suits

Its reasons like these I tend to sit and wait awhile.

Incredibly annoying usability issues there are usually no way for the user to correct. I'd like to be able to set one of these things up, put it on, wake it up with a single button, (or a 2-button sequence so its resistant to accidental buttonpresses) shut it down the same way, come back a week later and use it the same way without having to reenter half the settings or discover, like my garmin, that the developers "helpfully" made it so that it cannot actually be turned off and now its dead.

My CX-100 is annoying enough- dumps its autofocus settings every 12 hours... forget to set it to manual before every jumping day, get fuzzy shifting video. I'm sure they set it that way just in case general population users forget they left it on Manual and wonder why the autofocus seems broken, but it'd be nice to be able to get at the firmware and fix it, and like most appliances, you can't.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Bear in mind that this is beta product from the outset, kind of like Google Goggles, but much cheaper. The success of this product depends on the feedback we provide and how responsive Recon Instruments is in implementing changes.

On the ski-goggle side of their business, there's still work to be done, but they've come a long way since the original Recon Transcend. Unlike the Transcend, Flight HUD is not even a final product.

it's great that 616 people paid full price to be part of the R&D team. I wouldn't even consider this to be a first generation consumer electronic.

They should just have an option to purchase the screen ex goggles. Probably would reduce the cost by 100$ or more.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

i've had the same but only a difference of 19ft above or below lol.so it;s not a lot of button pushing for me to zero it lol
so does the recon automatically start recording your trip when it senses your in the air i.e. exiting the aircraft or do we have to do something before hand?
All seems so simple and in that lies the difficulty lol
how a manual would be handy now, so we can all shout RTFM lol

it's great that 616 people paid full price to be part of the R&D team. I wouldn't even consider this to be a first generation consumer electronic.

They should just have an option to purchase the screen ex goggles. Probably would reduce the cost by 100$ or more.

I agree -- that would have been nice. Some people already own Recon-ready goggles or would prefer to hack their own solution. The overall price wasn't bad, though.

Cost of:
  • Flight HUD (first 250 orders): $299

• Flight HUD (all other orders, except bulk purchases): $349

• Uvex G. GL 9 + MOD (non-Flight HUD) bundle: $349

• Uvex G. GL 9 goggle only: $180 MSRP; $105 Amazon

• MOD (non-Flight HUD): $299

• MOD Live (Android based HUD): $399

• Recon Instruments didn't call this a first generation consumer product. As a Recon Labs project, this is a prototype, although it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the $1,500 Google Glass prototype.

I put a pair of these on the other day. All thru these posts I thought these goggles had true HUD ( the image projected onto the lens from another source into your normal line of sight ), but all you get here is to look down into the bottom of the goggles at a small display device.....[:/]

Life is short ... jump often.

I did a couple of speed runs yesterday and found them fun and somewhat useful. I liked how altitude is coming from a barometer. There is a neat feature that flashs new personal records as you break them such as fastest speed.

I am more upset about the engage website used for viewing the tracks. They can't be shared, exported or barely analyzed. I can't remove\identify the canopy flight. At least that is just about how to view it and could easily be improved.

Tomorrow is snow trials!
    Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

If I ever get some free time, maybe I will write a converter that does not rely on the lousy engage website to extract the data. Yes, it has some nice features, but the whole browser plug-in thing is less than stable, even when you use a supported OS. I still can't wait to jump the thing - where is the "make it sunny" button?

I put a pair of these on the other day. All thru these posts I thought these goggles had true HUD ( the image projected onto the lens from another source into your normal line of sight ), but all you get here is to look down into the bottom of the goggles at a small display device.....[:/]

Yeah, that is true. HUD looks like what I have in my car (attached) or the google glasses. Recon just a computer with a small screen near your eye. albeit, still useful, but has it's limitations and safety considerations for both solo and group jumps. What do you expect? People like their toys.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I'm pretty disappointed with Recon. I pre-ordered my goggles before the end of november and therefore i was supposed to get the damn thing before the end of december...then was pushed to January. But that's not the worst, now everyone seems to be getting their goggles lately but not me. Instead i got an email from Recon saying that they just realized that when i pre-ordered the Flight HUD they somehow didn't charge me tax causing a delay in the shipment of the package for an additional 2 weeks!!!!

What's the point of pre-ordering as soon as the project started if their not even paying attention to the details. They had well over 3 months to catch on to this mistake.....

Not impressed!

Ah, scratch parts of that. Looks like I am off on parts of the format. Each file looks like it can store multiple "runs" and I think I've got the flags better figured out this time. I will know more once I can actually put some jumps on the thing to check my decoded data, but the new test data I do have looks more sane. If someone wants to send me a DAYxx.RIB file to try and decode, I'll see what I can do ;) Note that this file contains your location.

I got to spend a day on the slopes today. The battery struggled to go beyond lunch but it was 1f. The temp kept telling me it was 68f. On one hand I don't care but on the other it makes me question the other values.

Turns out the massive remote makes a lot of sense when you have it under huge jackets.

It was great to have a clock on hand ALL the time to save me getting my iPhone out, but obviously a very expensive solution...I just happens to notice that was useful.

I started out by getting annoyed thepat snow mode kept switching back to Wingsuit mode. The big difference is that shows GR instead of altitude in the main section. Only after a few runs I found having GR on the slopes to be a really cool way of understanding what lines might be possible. Interesting way of visualizing a glide.

I uploaded the day to Engage and still remain totally unimpressed with the ability to review the data. To me the capture and real time feedback is only half of the use. I also want to be able to seriously review the data after the fact and that isn't happening....yet.

What this pair of beta goggles is missing is a feedback program with Recon to make them better. I emaiiled them a few times but got nothing back. That is a bit disappointing to me.

My HUD is not able to dialogue with Engage sw on my Mac, it seems that the ReconUpLink plug doesn't work!

Any suggest?

Thanks
    Mario

Keep trying, I have mine working on a Mac with both Safari and Chrome. Assuming you installed the plug in it has the potential to work.

My HUD is not able to dialogue with Engage sw on my Mac, it seems that the ReconUpLink plug doesn't work!

Any suggest?

Thanks
    Mario

Keep trying, I have mine working on a Mac with both Safari and Chrome. Assuming you installed the plug in it has the potential to work.

Yes, I have installed the plug in from Recon site but Engage doesn't
    detect it!
    Try again to install the plug in more times but doesn't works:((((

Any suggest?

Thanks
    Mario

detect it!

I hate to say this as you have a Mac but did you try a reboot? :-)

Any suggest?

Thanks
    Mario

detect it!

Yes, rebooted my Mac 2 times:(((
    Today a guy has told me that his HUD is just in fail mode with locked dates :(((((

Thanks for your suggest;)
    M

Someone at the everglades boogie had their goggles knock off in freefall. Lost in an endless field of sugar cane. Hopefully Recon has a recovery gps system lol

who was it that lost their goggles at the boogie? i didnt hear of that happening, did they have video of the jump?
    Flock University FWC / ZFlock
    B.A.S.E. 1580
    Aussie BASE 121

Any suggest?

Thanks
    Mario

detect it!

Yes, rebooted my Mac 2 times:(((
    Today a guy has told me that his HUD is just in fail mode with locked dates :(((((

Thanks for your suggest;)
    M

If it makes you feel better the Engage website is crap so you would only be be in for a let down anyway. I think there will be some better options for reviewing the results soon.

I've got a GPX converter written and am told it outputs valid-looking results (it has been cloudy so I don't have my own data to convert yet). The converter is a straightforward C program and maybe I can put it into github soon, if I can ever get off work tonight ;)

Windows and Linux users should be fine, but.... How hard is it to compile from source on a Mac, if there are no dependencies and if POSIX C APIs are used? I might just quickly rewrite this thing in Java just for that whole cross-platform aspect, to keep things simple for everyone. Thoughts?

Edit: Yeah, I think I'll try to do a quick Java port, even though it is the only language I know of where 'byte' is a signed data type by default >:(

Edit more: Re-wrote the whole thing in Java today. It seems to work on my Windows VM, and on Linux. I tried to write a Mac OS launch file, which should work in theory, but I don't have a Mac to test it on. This needs a bit more testing, and I should be able to post it soon. Current output format is GPX but others should be doable as well.