jeb

Recon HUD for wing-suits

OK, the time has come :) Those interested in getting the Recon Instruments HUD for wing-suit flying can now order them. But we need to get 250 orders within 30 days in order for recon to build them. We need to show them there is a big enough market to make it worth their while. Please order now so we can have this amazing technology develop... http://labs.reconinstruments.com/

if that were the case cars, aircraft and basically anything that moves would have audible gauges... Many companies are moving toward heads up displays and I believe military aircraft already do this? Often in environments far more complex and faster than ours...I am not saying I wan't a pair just saying what is happening is more inline with other displays for moving vehicles and a goggle display is prob better than looking down at the chest mount from time to time

Jeb,
Not to be a naysayer and thinking very much about joining the mass order, but what will be the difference between their of-the-shelf ski goggles and "Jeb Deluxe" version?
again, it is to make an educated decision on blowing $300
And if there is not much difference and the 250 orders don't come in - what precludes us from using the "generic" model?
Thanks!

Jeb,

You posted before that the Recon HUD was giving you much higher speed readings than your Flysight. Without digging up the thread I think you were saying 140MPH from the goggles and 125MPH from Flysight and your feeling was that the Flysight figure was probably the correct one. What was the cause of such a big discrepancy and how has it been fixed?

Could you describe the difference of what you are currently jumping from the standard goggles, and what further changes are they able to make, test and ship by the end of the year?

As they won't know for a while if they have the 250 orders, it seems like a very tight time frame for development and testing...

I'd be perfectly willing to order one IF, and ONLY IF, I received some assurance that the company is legit (never heard of it before) and that if the requisite 250 orders aren't received that my money will be promptly refunded, or that my credit card won't be charged until the order is shipped.

So??

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'd be perfectly willing to order one IF, and ONLY IF, I received some assurance that the company is legit (never heard of it before) and that if the requisite 250 orders aren't received that my money will be promptly refunded, or that my credit card won't be charged until the order is shipped.

So??

+1. I will be in at 300 (or maybe twice that - heck they say it can be done in time for a Christmas present), but they can also take $75000 from the first 250 suckers and be gone...
Why doesn't ParaGear step in and order 150?:)
Talk to us, Jeb. Seems that you have been a point man in this interface and know the company.

What will display show? What can it show at the same time (i.e. altitude + glide ratio? + horizontal speed? + vertical speed? Time of flight? )

Yes you can zero altitude :) And the next generation will have sound too telling you glide as you fly on top of having HUD :) They just need to know there is a market to spend the money in development...

Can you clarify that please? According to the site they are not planning on making any more than the first 250 and only if they get enough orders in time. Below is a quote from the site itself...

When will I be able to buy it in stores?

This custom package is a Recon Labs project and will only be available for a limited time on labs.reconinstruments.com if we meet the minimum of 250 units within 30 days. We have no plans for retail distribution.

I would have to read some reviews from others before I would spend the cash but if it's the real deal and can do what you said it can accurately then I can't see why they won't sell a ton of them.

So??

I know quite a few folks that have these goggles for skiing so I don't doubt they are legit. Also if you buy with a credit card you can likely claim it if they take your money and run. I wouldn't use a debit card.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

So??

+1. I will be in at 300 (or maybe twice that - heck they say it can be done in time for a Christmas present), but they can also take $75000 from the first 250 suckers and be gone...
Why doesn't ParaGear step in and order 150?:)
Talk to us, Jeb. Seems that you have been a point man in this interface and know the company.

What will display show? What can it show at the same time (i.e. altitude + glide ratio? + horizontal speed? + vertical speed? Time of flight? )

The company is legit. I've skied with the Recon Transcend and the MOD Live for the last couple of years. The battery life could be better (I get about 4-5 hours of continuous use in the cold with the screen on), but otherwise, it works as advertised. For the record, I ordered the MOD Live directly from the company; I didn't have any issues with billing/shipping/etc.

Just from browsing around their site it appears they already sell the hardware, which runs Android OS, and they've released their SDK publicly. So if they don't end up getting enough pre-orders, it wouldn't be that difficult to just code something up yourself...
Skydiving is serious business

The goggles use to measure 3D speed and now they measure ground speed. The goggles also give you real time glide ratio. So as you fly you can see your forward speed next to your glide. Great tool to fine tune your performance. It shows the number of your glide like 2.3 or 1.8 and so on and also colors. When you are in the 1 to 1 it's red, 2 to 1 is yellow and anything over 3 to 1 is green. They have been developed but not manufactured. They are different from the ski goggles. Recon just wants to make sure there is a demand before they build them. I have 2 working sets right now.

Which goggle frame do they plan on using? The ones I tried on in a ski shop would seem to leak. When I tried on yours, they seem to have a much better fit. Which lens are they using, and are they using a double lens? ( couldn't find this info on their website) Seems like a great product

The off the shelf recon HUD does not work with wing-suit flying. The hardware does not support the high speeds we obtain. Also the software shows 3D speed instead of ground speed and it does not have glide ratio. But the main difference is the ski goggles don't work and the flight goggles do for wing-suits...

Also the software shows 3D speed instead of ground speed

Really convincing. BTW What is 3D speed? :D

The magnitude of your velocity vector instead of the horizontal component.

Non-technical: How fast you're moving through the air, irrespective of direction
Skydiving is serious business