Ion01

Glide Ratio App

I will be buying a wingsuit soon and was looking at some gps apps to help me learn the performance of the suit. I did some searching here and elsewhere and found an app called baseline flight computer and was wondering if anyone here has used it?

It can work as an audible altimeter, glide ratio audible signals and such but I was also wondering if it does gps mapping which can be viewed later.

Also, what has been your experience in general with the app. It looks interesting!

Also, any thoughts on making a chest mount for a galaxy s3 so it can be seen while the app is running? Obviously I have no wingsuiting experience yet and will be learning from a wingsuit coach but would like others input on this as well.

I've used BASELINE (used to be called "Flight data". The engineer is from my DZ.
Yes, it does GPS mapping, although I occasionally have issues with exporting data.
It's a very good app, the author has put a lot into it.

Hey, I'm the author of BASEline. I've been working on this app ever since the Galaxy Nexus came out last year with a built in barometric altimeter, and I saw the opportunity to build an altimeter/GPS on my phone. I've been working on the project in my free time ever since.

BASEline Flight Computer

The app displays current altitude, fallrate, speed, polar plot, position on a map, etc. There is also a very programmable audible which can trigger alarms for breakoff, deployment, etc. You can also set an audio loop that is modified by your glide ratio like a FlySight. It also keeps a jump log of all altitude, gps, and accelerometer data which can be copied back to the computer. (The jump log is a little buggy in v1 right now, fixing that for v2 and adding Paralog support too... thanks Klaus!)

My goal was to make a tool for learning about glide ratio, fall rate etc. Also since I'm a programmer and a skydiver, I'm really stoked to be able to combine the two. It's still under active testing and development, and I'm working on releasing version 2 shortly. Would love to hear people's thoughts, and/or feature requests!
BASEline - Wingsuit Flight Computer

Leave all the gadgets on the ground. Have fun flying your wingsuit with others. Learn in the sky, then think about adding the distraction factor later.

Stay safe.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Hey, I'm the author of BASEline. I've been working on this app ever since the Galaxy Nexus came out last year with a built in barometric altimeter, and I saw the opportunity to build an altimeter/GPS on my phone. I've been working on the project in my free time ever since.

BASEline Flight Computer

The app displays current altitude, fallrate, speed, polar plot, position on a map, etc. There is also a very programmable audible which can trigger alarms for breakoff, deployment, etc. You can also set an audio loop that is modified by your glide ratio like a FlySight. It also keeps a jump log of all altitude, gps, and accelerometer data which can be copied back to the computer. (The jump log is a little buggy in v1 right now, fixing that for v2 and adding Paralog support too... thanks Klaus!)

My goal was to make a tool for learning about glide ratio, fall rate etc. Also since I'm a programmer and a skydiver, I'm really stoked to be able to combine the two. It's still under active testing and development, and I'm working on releasing version 2 shortly. Would love to hear people's thoughts, and/or feature requests!

A small request if I may? Swap out the sliders for text fields? Maybe it's my fat fingers but I find the sliders for setting altitudes to be a bit clumsy.

Great work man!

Also, any thoughts on making a chest mount for a galaxy s3 so it can be seen while the app is running?

I don't have any experience with the S3 in particular, but wanted to share a bit of GPS experience... With any GPS, it's critical that you give it as good a view of the sky as possible. GPS signals are incredibly weak, and something like a human body between the receiver and the satellites can make or break your ability to get a fix. I'd be quite surprised if it were possible to mount the S3 on your chest and still get a solid fix--though I'd be interested to hear the experience of anyone who has tried.

Michael

I've got a flysight and I was after some comparison GPS data so I tried using my phone (samsung galaxy) in the chest pocket on my P3 - it got a good lock in the plane but lost the lock shortly after exit and I didn't get a positional fix again until I was under canopy.

I tried it out on 6 flights with similar results.
Jump more, post less.