tikipaul1

Wingsuit Mod on Javelin Container

I am buying a new container and would like peoples comments on wingsuit modification on a javelin containers.

I have an old Javelin J1 and had a master rigger do the dynamic corner mod.

Works fine.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I have no mods what so ever have a standard PC and bridle and javelin odyssey. 1000 wingsuit jumps no issues, however if you like the mods go for them. At the end of the day a good throw and symetrical body position during pitch and throughout deployment will be key.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

I have no mods what so ever have a standard PC and bridle and javelin odyssey. 1000 wingsuit jumps no issues, however if you like the mods go for them. At the end of the day a good throw and symetrical body position during pitch and throughout deployment will be key.

What wingsuits do you fly, and how long is your "standard" bridle?

I agree that most mods are not needed... but a proper length bridle is essential, and a "standard length" bridle varies from manufacturer and even rig to rig... I've seen some that are 6' and some that are 7'. For many larger suits, either of those are too short, but the 6' is WAY too short. On a SM1 (not the largest suit anymore) I experienced significant delays for many jumps, with a 6' bridle. Changing to a 9' bridle fixed that immediately. I don't know what my PC was doing during those delays, but would not have been happy had it decided to land on my head after getting tired of burble dancing. At best, a too-short bridle is annoying, at worst, it is a recipe for PC in tow or worse.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

How is your fit on the main tray? I've jumped the very same canopy with 2 different container: VectorII loose fit and Javelin tight fit. It opened better and cleaner if I jumped with VectorII, because of the better fit.

I have had the mod done by the factory, and found it to be way too bulky, as they inserts they used were way too big, and they put stiffeners in both pieces.

I went ahead and took out the stiffener out of the inboard side, and cut the pieces down to a smaller size (and rebound them), that works much better and seems a lot cleaner.

Ditto to what's said above - Morpheus did the best looking mod, and that's exactly what I copied on my Jav.

I am attaching pictures. Both are RSK.1 containers, top with 90deg cut is factory, bottom with a rounded edge is non-factory.

I have had the mod done by the factory, and found it to be way too bulky, as they inserts they used were way too big, and they put stiffeners in both pieces.

I went ahead and took out the stiffener out of the inboard side, and cut the pieces down to a smaller size (and rebound them), that works much better and seems a lot cleaner.

Ditto to what's said above - Morpheus did the best looking mod, and that's exactly what I copied on my Jav.

I am attaching pictures. Both are RSK.1 containers, top with 90deg cut is factory, bottom with a rounded edge is non-factory.

Glad I didn't go for that mod! My rigger simply un-stitched the bottom packing tray sewing's about one inch, that is enough.

Simply cutting down the inside seam on Wings, Microns, Mirages, and any other "rounded corner" rigs is fine. You can't do that on Javs or any other "square corner" rigs because the lines hang out. The dynamic corner option, while bulky, gets the job done great and keeps the bottom of the rig tidy.

Chuck

What wingsuits do you fly, and how long is your "standard" bridle?

I agree that most mods are not needed... but a proper length bridle is essential, and a "standard length" bridle varies from manufacturer and even rig to rig... I've seen some that are 6' and some that are 7'. For many larger suits, either of those are too short, but the 6' is WAY too short. On a SM1 (not the largest suit anymore) I experienced significant delays for many jumps, with a 6' bridle. Changing to a 9' bridle fixed that immediately. I don't know what my PC was doing during those delays, but would not have been happy had it decided to land on my head after getting tired of burble dancing. At best, a too-short bridle is annoying, at worst, it is a recipe for PC in tow or worse.

Completely agree my bridle is 8ft with a 26" pc and I use a roll pack for all my pack jobs. As for suits I started with a Classic II then a Skyflyer about 500 jumps then a V1, GS1, X1, and currently a V4 and a Venom.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!
  • Like 1