WickedWingsuits

Wingsuit Speed Diamonds at Dirty3Some

Going to be testing a new competition (to us) at Skydive the Farm for the Dirty3Some boogie. Top prize is $100 and second and third get some cashola too.

It is basically Speed Star meets Wingsuiting and I have no idea how it will turn out.

Ashley will also be running some FFC (signup in advance) for those that want to play next time!

Signup (free) for Speed Diamond

http://dirty3somespeeddiamond.eventbrite.com

Dirty3Some:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4379110;page=unread#unread
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Seems like an invitation to a tail strike. According to the rules, the jumpers will be behind a line in the plane, and the clock starts when the first jumper crosses the line. So now you have 4 jumpers, still in the plane, with the clock running. Does rushing exits seem like a good idea with the current tail strike 'problem' going on?

The better solution is to start the clock when the last jumper leaves the door, not the first. In this way, there's no rush to the exits.

A GoPro ahead of the door isn't a bad idea either, and you could disqualify any team who has a jumper that exits without their wings closed.

In 'theory' it's a fun idea, but given the problem with tailstrikes, it needs some work.

Seems like an invitation to a tail strike. Does rushing exits seem like a good idea with the current tail strike 'problem' going on?

I don't see it as a bad idea. Then again I don't think "rushed" exits are any more dangerous ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Seems like an invitation to a tail strike. According to the rules, the jumpers will be behind a line in the plane, and the clock starts when the first jumper crosses the line. So now you have 4 jumpers, still in the plane, with the clock running. Does rushing exits seem like a good idea with the current tail strike 'problem' going on?

The better solution is to start the clock when the last jumper leaves the door, not the first. In this way, there's no rush to the exits.

A GoPro ahead of the door isn't a bad idea either, and you could disqualify any team who has a jumper that exits without their wings closed.

In 'theory' it's a fun idea, but given the problem with tailstrikes, it needs some work.

I will take this into consideration with the participants at the event and the aircraft we us. However the argument seems illogical to me. We regulaly empty a plane full of wingsuiters. Are you saying those in the back of the group have a better chance of hitting the tail than those in the front of the group?

I just finished up at the big way where I was last out every time and you get bet I was in a rush. I am glad to report I didn't hit the tail even once...AND it was a high speed exit. I use this trick where I keep my wings closed on exit.

I just finished up at the big way where I was last out every time and you get bet I was in a rush. I am glad to report I didn't hit the tail even once...AND it was a high speed exit. I use this trick where I keep my wings closed on exit.

In the case of a bigway, you don't need to be in a rush to fly because the base is low and getting away from you. There's no penalty to tucking up out of the door and even holding that tuck for a few seconds.

If the whole point is to get the 4-way together fast, the first two out of the door want to fall as slow as possible, with the last two doing the opposite, and then meeting in the middle ASAP. It's how a no-show no-grip exit works. Floaters out first to float, sinkers out last to sink.

In the case of a bigway, you don't need to be in a rush to fly because the base is low and getting away from you. There's no penalty to tucking up out of the door and even holding that tuck for a few seconds.

If the whole point is to get the 4-way together fast, the first two out of the door want to fall as slow as possible, with the last two doing the opposite, and then meeting in the middle ASAP. It's how a no-show no-grip exit works. Floaters out first to float, sinkers out last to sink.

Your profile doesn't indicate any wingsuit experience so I will assume none. A wingsuit group, anything from a 6 way to a 20 way to a 100 way has floaters and divers just like FS does. Floaters get out and watch the plane as the base gets out and then divers follow. Divers have plenty of pressure to get out and dive to the base, remember the plane is still moving. The base is also flying away from you so you can bet you have to fly. Crunching into a ball doesn't get you across the ground to the base.

I can't think of anytime I was told not to get out fast. I also can't think of anytime where I thought I needed to get out so fast it would be ok to hit the tail.

I will make sure people are reminded not to hit the tail, each other (much) or the ground.

I expected to get shit about using a box (like a grid) but I forgot we moved on to tails this month.

Simon

Actually, on a wingsuit big-way, the base is getting away from you as it is tracking across the sky, not going straight down.

As to getting out of an aircraft fast, we have literally made thousands of jumps from Otters in the last week, the a full load of wingsuit jumpers getting out in around 7-8 seconds, without the pilots throttling back. Not that your idea is a bad one, simple care and attention can avoid the prospect of a wingsuit tail strike - they are not simply "accidents waiting to happen."
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Pendragon,
I think we had you beat in 2009 Elsinore Big Way when we emptied the plane (22 wingsuiters) in 6.5 seconds from the moment first person let go to the last one out!
I believe Matt has the video.
I agree with the rest :)

Actually, on a wingsuit big-way, the base is getting away from you as it is tracking across the sky, not going straight down.

As to getting out of an aircraft fast, we have literally made thousands of jumps from Otters in the last week, the a full load of wingsuit jumpers getting out in around 7-8 seconds, without the pilots throttling back. Not that your idea is a bad one, simple care and attention can avoid the prospect of a wingsuit tail strike - they are not simply "accidents waiting to happen."

Going to be testing a new competition (to us) at Skydive the Farm for the Dirty3Some boogie. Top prize is $100 and second and third get some cashola too.

It is basically Speed Star meets Wingsuiting and I have no idea how it will turn out.

Ashley will also be running some FFC (signup in advance) for those that want to play next time!

Dirty3Some:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4379110;page=unread#unread

Cool - where did you get that idea?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Dirty3Some:

Cool - where did you get that idea?

I sat next a mad professors a few times and he kept bragging about his teams speed star exit times.....12.9 seconds or something like that.