J-Rock

What wingsuit to buy after a 6 year break?

I have read a few articles and posts on the forums about wingsuits but Im having a hard time finding which suit to look for. I have 126 ws jumps and 630 jumps total, 5 jumps on a BM Classic, most on a BM Skyflyer 1 and a few on a Skyflyer 3, GTI etc. I took a 6 year break from flying a wingsuit and a 2 year break from skydiving all together. I want to start flying a wingsuit again and it seems as though things have changed since ive been gone.... theres a lot more to choose from and I dont want to get a suit I will be bored with in 5 jumps. I started jumping this year after a 2 year break and have made 60 jumps this year. Can anyone out there list a few models to look at and maybe some reasons as to why. Thanks in advance

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

I dont want to get a suit I will be bored with in 5 jumps.

If you're bored after five jumps it's you, not the suit. Look into the Shadow/Phantom or I-Bird/T-Bird.

I think this is bad advice. I started on an I-Bird and then transitioned to a Vampire 2 after a few jumps. The vampire 2 flew significantly further than the I-bird and was significantly easier to pilot.

Thanks for the advise, I may demo a few suits to see what I like. I just didn't want to get into a suit that is too much for me at first. Just looking for an intermediate suit that is easy to fly, I think I might go to Start and try a suit or two and start from there. On paper I think the Phantom or T-bird would be the suit or are these suits even comparable?

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

If you're bored after five jumps it's you, not the suit. Look into the Shadow/Phantom or I-Bird/T-Bird.

I think this is bad advice. I started on an I-Bird and then transitioned to a Vampire 2 after a few jumps. The vampire 2 flew significantly further than the I-bird and was significantly easier to pilot.

Absolutely, because you know everything better...:P

If you have a skinny or average built, all-around/acrobatic suits are the way to go.

I think this is bad advice. Before moving to the Vampire could you fly horizontal slots, vertical slots, take docks, backfly, etc...? It's not just about going faster or further.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Before moving to the Vampire could you fly horizontal slots, vertical slots, take docks, backfly, etc...? It's not just about going faster or further.

for some people it is, and then they realize they can not fly with others or join the cool stuff, and then they regret/quit
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Thanks for the advise, I may demo a few suits to see what I like. I just didn't want to get into a suit that is too much for me at first. Just looking for an intermediate suit that is easy to fly, I think I might go to Start and try a suit or two and start from there. On paper I think the Phantom or T-bird would be the suit or are these suits even comparable?

Borrow my old Ghost2

grab a phantom3.
stable and easy to fly enough that lots of us prefer them for first flight courses... yet with enough performance in it for the experienced flyer that lots of us still use it as our no.1 suit even after thousands of wingsuit jumps.

as with anything, try before you buy, if possible.

also, figure out what you want the suit to do for you... long, slow puffy surfs? agile aerobatics? flocking? docking?

I have read a few articles and posts on the forums about wingsuits but Im having a hard time finding which suit to look for. I have 126 ws jumps and 630 jumps total, 5 jumps on a BM Classic, most on a BM Skyflyer 1 and a few on a Skyflyer 3, GTI etc. I took a 6 year break from flying a wingsuit and a 2 year break from skydiving all together. I want to start flying a wingsuit again and it seems as though things have changed since ive been gone.... theres a lot more to choose from and I dont want to get a suit I will be bored with in 5 jumps. I started jumping this year after a 2 year break and have made 60 jumps this year. Can anyone out there list a few models to look at and maybe some reasons as to why. Thanks in advance

I would get back in the saddle with a T Bird and then try an R.....
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com