tdog

Wingsuit tail strikes - lets build some incident reports

There is a thread discussing insurance concerns in skydiving, and specifically claiming "The Skydiving Industry had 11 wing suit aircraft tail strikes last year."

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4372794;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

This surprised the heck out of me... 11? I have not read or been told of them. Really, 11? This is apprently the number that resulted in insurance claims... How many were self-insured and not reported? 20 then?

Post here any facts or knowledge you have about a strike. Perhaps say the DZ name and approximate date so if others have info they can "quote" your post instead of making a new one, so it does not get confusing if it is the same or different strike...

Skydive Miami Two skydivers Exit from a Caravan for a Hop n Pop at approx 6000ft Jumper #1 (v3)has a skethy exit. Jumper #2 (v2) exits with wings wide open before even leaving aircraft. It is also noted that the jumper exits perpendicular to the aircraft. His left foot hits the rear side of the door and send the jumper into a spin where he also strikes a rib on the aircrafts tail. He then goes into a flat spin until he can recover and pull. The jumper had minor injuries to his left lower leg.

Enough Damage was caused that the DZ had to shut down that day and find a replacement aircraft until theirs was available again after repairs. (Repair costs that i have heard of were just rumors )

Here is a link to the Forum Post in the Incidents Forum

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4120107;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Measures have been taken to make sure this incident could never happen again. The drop zone has banned the use of wing suits altogether. Jumper #2 has now become an AFF and Tandem Instructor at the DZ.

Incidents like this are easily avoidable with proper training the jumper at the time has approx. 100 wing suit jumps and just under 1000 total jumps. Was a self proclaimed wing suit coach. Teaching newbies at the DZ

Video available here uploaded by the Jumper himself on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcb2L5GkNRM

Yea...like mine (skyhook) and most students that have one.
Aside from the usual RSL debate (not linked to wingsuit), on students and big suits especially Id even recommend getting one over potential instability after a cutaway with a longer delay (and arms on your chest).
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

TDog,

I am all for what you are doing and support it but I think there is a statistic that is alarming. Near tail strikes. and for God sakes dont make me define that like I had to in another thread. I have at least a dozen pictures that were sent to me from various locations that I would consider to be "Holy Shit" pictures. Any one of them could have ended not only in a fatality but others were definately in jeopardy.

?Why not open this up to near misses as well. If they have a picture or description then great. Keep in mind copy right issues and the possible embarassment of the ws'er. So permissions should be granted. I would estimate that the number of near misses would astonish all of you. I would not be surprised if every DZ in this country who is active with WS'ers could or would advise us of a near miss.

You see in my mind we do not need a confirmed tail strike to show it is a safety concern. Statistics are funny in that of course they can be manipulated. We are just trying to see if there is a trend and is it a serious safety concern.

and if so the fun part, "What do we do?"

Keep in mind the Insurance company already told us this. In my mind and I am sure in DZO minds we need no other proof. If rates are going to go up they must be basing it on something.

and if so the fun part, "What do we do?"

Mount a gopro in or on the aircraft, see who's doing it wrong. If somebody is coming too close, show them the video and instruct them on how to do it right.
Added benefit is proof that most of us are not a problem.
But what do I know?