snowcrash75

Crowded Helmet....discuss.

Anyone comfortably packing two audibles and a Flysight? My Rawa currently has a Prodytter on one side and a Protrack on the other, and I'd like to add a Flysight, but I don't think there is room to add motorcycle type helmet speakers (the flat external kind). My outer ear canals are abnormally small (laugh all you like, I probably won't hear you :ph34r:) so earbuds or anything that relies on a friction fit in the ear are out of the question.
I don't really want to displace an audible, although I'm sure 2 is overly cautious, I prefer it, and I'd rather keep them internal as I already lost one Protrack to a riser strike. Full face is not desirable either.
Too bad the Flysight is not an audible altimeter as well :( Is anyone aware why this isn't an option? I'd definately save scratch to upgrade to THAT.
Is anyone currently jumping a setup that they would recommend?

Replace one of your audibles with an Neptune N3Audio. It can tell you your altitude (or you could just use it as a standard audible) and plug the flysite output into the external audio port so you can hear that too. Then just put a motorcycle speaker the same side as the N3A - they velcro on so the audible goes in the pocket and the speaker next to your ear.

I'm just waiting for my N3A to do exactly that :)
Jump more, post less.

I had considered this, but $349 for the N3 plus the $249 for the Flysight is serious damage. Also, velcroing them in is out of the question. The room is just not there. Im thinking I may have to just cut circular holes in the liner in close proximity to my ears, maybe directly behind the audible pockets....the liner is about as thick as the helmet speakers, so that could be the ticket...

As far as echo from a camera box, it has been elimenated. The box, not the echo.

Got and audible in each ear, flysight on the back of the helmet.

I found the motorcycle speakers crap, couldnt hear them in freefall. Used dirt cheap inner ear headphones, in padding (both) next to one ear (not in my ear) to hear my flysight.

Works great!
Some dream of flying, i live the dream...

Got and audible in each ear, flysight on the back of the helmet.

I found the motorcycle speakers crap, couldnt hear them in freefall. Used dirt cheap inner ear headphones, in padding (both) next to one ear (not in my ear) to hear my flysight.

Works great!

This exactly what I use also, and I agree...works great. And I have tried many combinations to get to this.

I used to use an inner ear headphone but then made up a little speaker form a motorcycle intercom and it just velcros inside my helmet.

The speaker is very slim (the plug is thicker than the speaker) and it is easily audible even in an open face helmet as long as it is next to my ear.

I got the speaker from the same manufacturer as my motorcycle intercom (Autocom) and it is plenty loud. On the bike even with earplugs in I can hear the g/f on the back of the bike at over 155 mph (we have no speed limits here)

Co-incidentally I also have a Rawa helmet :)

Perhaps not all motorcycle intercom speakers are as good and I was just lucky to have a slim, loud speaker spare.
Jump more, post less.

One note on helmet speakers: They must have a stereo plug, as in MrCat's photo. Mono plugs (two silver conductors on the jack instead of three) won't play nicely with FlySight, which was designed with stereo plugs in mind.

Michael

Presumably a setup like the Autocom, which uses a stereo jack with a single speaker, is only using a single channel from the flysight output. It would be nice if both channels could be directed to a single speaker for greater volume.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

It would be nice if both channels could be directed to a single speaker for greater volume.

I don't think it would make much difference. The audio section on the FlySight slams the headphones about as hard as it can with the 3.3 V available. If you combined the left and right channels, you'd get more or less the same voltage levels at the earphones.

Michael

The autocom uses a 5 pin din (remember those??) to connect as there is a also a mike as well as stereo speakers.

The photo above was half on an autocom set that I split and wired up to 3.5mm stereo jacks. Although it is a stereo jack both channels are connected to the one wire. I seem to recall (when I looked at it) that the earth is carried by the sleeve so if you use a mono plug you will connect the earth to the left or right channel positive.

Does that sound about right??
Jump more, post less.

Makes perfect sense as long as the Flysight outputs are OK jumpered together.

No problem at all. The left and right channels are connected internally. For the curious, the schematic is available on the wiki:

http://flysight.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Schematics

MrCat is absolutely correct about the problem with mono plugs--they short the audio signal to ground.

Michael

It would be nice if both channels could be directed to a single speaker for greater volume.

I don't think it would make much difference. The audio section on the FlySight slams the headphones about as hard as it can with the 3.3 V available. If you combined the left and right channels, you'd get more or less the same voltage levels at the earphones.

Michael

I used a stereo plug with the channels wired in parallel, and have no problems.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Bit of an update.

My N3A arrived yesterday so I've been trying various ways to set it up in my rawa helmet.

The speaker I'm using for my flysite is very slim but it is still to thick to put the N3 the same side as it.

The Rawa liner is cut to allow an audible in it and it's cut in such a way that I tired to put the N3A above my ear but there wasn't quite enough room.

I then realised that I couldn't put it high enough as my Hypeye was stopping it from going higher in the lining.

I then reasoned that if there was enough space on one side of the helmet for the Hypeye switch then on the other side there should be enough space for the N3a - and there is.

I've just stuck a bit of foam against the helmet to protect the N3A and sandwiched it up against the liner.

Plenty of room.

So, in the left ear I have the speaker for the N3A and the flysight and in my right audible pocket my Optima II

Just got to test jump it now :)
Jump more, post less.