Titanium_Gecko

S-Fly Fury

Welcome to Fly Your Body's skydiving version of The Core called the FURY!

Did my first 3 jumps on Sataurday and feel like a novice again. As has been said before on here, Big/Mega Suit flying is a whole different ball game.

My intention is to add to this post over time as I learn more about the suit and myself, so to start with:

Exits felt easy out of my home Grand Caravan from being stood in the door, inside foot ahead of the outer for stability. I did make sure to deliberately tuck all the leg wing back and really wrap my arms back around my torso. Once the plane was ahead of me, opening up was as straight forward as normal and suit very stable and smooth. Leg stance is wider than I'm used to with my S-Fly Verso (I think) and toes more pointed out, but didn't feel abnormal and the tail wing has a lot of depth with its fast back equivalent. It is certainly easy to fly true and straight although my turns were a bit washy, but correctable, and need much more practice.

The BOC-type pouch in the top of the rear deflector was each to reach, to get used too, and did not get knocked or snagged in the plane. I'll try to describe the action in time. However, I was very mindful of the small loop of bridal left exposed but necessary to coup with clambering around on all fours in a Caravan. The leg wing pressurisation is immense - do not be fooled by the brand....lol....and is far, far, more that I have ever experienced. I didn't manage to collapse the wing by a long shot, rather break some of its pressurisation with my knees and work really hard to drive my entire torso upwards into an arch/pitch. Again, more practice required to be able to adequately describe the movement and sensations.

My terms of reference......
Excepy for 1 jump on Blade 1, Stealth 2, Ghost 3, Venom & V4 all my other flights have either been on an Access, Expert or my go-to Verson, bar a couple of T-Bird flights at FnD last year. Therefore, I read all I could find, poked and prodded what suits I could come across, mulled things over for a few months and started talking to a few folks - Massive thanks to Lurch. Then I begun preparing with a longer bridal (10ft) and a bigger pilot chute (28" F-111), reliable packing and openings and the odd in air drill such as "scrunching like my life depended on it" and leg/flat turns. So far so good.....

Brand Wars
Okay, so I'm an S-Fly Instructor and S-Fly pilot but that is for the love of teaching and the personnal challenge of how much I can get out out of the suit and myself. Yes, I get a discount - a massive thanks to Cathy, Zun et al. - but that's it and I'm a full time engineering consultant. There will always be a bigger, better, faster suit or person/pilot out there than me but I don't mind, I just want to fly with them all and learn something new.

Next Step
Easy, Perris in a couple of days time seeing as we haven't had much of a summer in the UK and flying my Verso with some of you guys. Then, once my bank balance has returned to cherry red rather than molten dedicating some time to my new toy.

Let the voyage to inifinity and beyond begin (or at least 3 minutes, first, and then 4 minutes, in my twilight years, to be able to call myself a Ninja)........

Ross Fury
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Hi B52,

If I can fit it in my luggage, then yes.

According to my protrack:
J1: 13,000ft to 4,100ft - AVS, 55mph - Time, 110s
J2: 12,000ft to 2,900ft - AVS, 47mp - Time, 134s
J3: 12,600ft to 3,900ft - AVS, 48mph - Time, 122s

I wouldn't hold much store in these values to start with, as there feels a lot more range left in the suit. I don't think I've got everthying out of my Verso (me) after 170 odd jumps.....

I did have a Fly Sight on J2 & 3 which is currently with a friend so will post as and when. I'd just be guessing at GR and forward speed.

Ross
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Having spoken to Lars at L&B before about SLO, if you exceed a value of X m/s for more than 3 seconds it thinks you've pulled - nothing you can do about it. I can't remember the exact figure. Altitrack has a lower speed setting by a few mph.

Material? More parapack than zp and quite different to the last 2 materials from S-Fly that I've flown. I'd have to asl Zun to be sure.
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Having spoken to Lars at L&B before about SLO, if you exceed a value of X m/s for more than 3 seconds it thinks you've pulled - nothing you can do about it. I can't remember the exact figure. Altitrack has a lower speed setting by a few mph.

Material? More parapack than zp and quite different to the last 2 materials from S-Fly that I've flown. I'd have to asl Zun to be sure.

Thx a lot dude!!! :)

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.
BASE #1075 / BMI #I-002 / PFI #042 / EGI #104

Subject: Using Protrack whilst Wingsuiting
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:00:22 +0200

Hello Ross!

The old Pro-Track in SLO stops recording at 15m/sec decent. So if you fly in that ranges for more than 3sec. it will believe it is deployment.

The old Pro-Track have max recording time 120 sec.

The VISO and the Alti-Track set to SLO have 12m/sec. deployment speed, but keep on recording until landing.

At high altitude (more than 17000 feet) the Pro-Track is les sensitive to slow falling right after exit. The Pro-Track also has a max altitude 20k--25k feet.

Hope this will help you.

Niels Brusgaard
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com