verticalflyer

The next big step

Unlike getting in a tunnel and generating hundreds if hours for other disciplines its very hard to do this with wingsuits so we will just have to commit to those exploratory jumps.

Next big thing...Wingsuit wind tunnel
Lets build it, can't be that hard.
Landing a WS took some boxes and two huge brass balls.
Maybe the megaramp money can be used for a tunnel?
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

Go look again, buddy. Best with S bird was some 76 seconds, and max of about 3.4km. Best with Rebel, 85.7 seconds, max distance 3.88 km. Manners, fail. Reading comprehension, fail. Positive contribution to discussion, fail. You specialize in hassling us and you can't even get THAT right. How's your flying, anyway?
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Now that I take another look at it, maybe you're telling us the next big step in the sport will continue to be petty bickering instead of growth. I disagree, I think that's a pessimistic outlook. Relentless positivity has a way of breaking down barriers and getting things done. I think we're going to see increasingly spectacular performances from the Acro crowd in the next couple of seasons largely because it IS a working together sort of thing, and enthusiastic people egging each other on can inspire all kinds of impossibly skilled mayhem. Might even dust off my old S-6 and try to get in on it myself. I'm not much of an acro bird, but I can learn.
-B

If you have to bend your legs AT ALL up front in a big suit, then your's wasting your time. I'd MUCH rather stick my legs out in a smaller suit and kick the shit out of the perpetrators in air mattresses. I'd like to jump a Rebel, Lurch, but only with people who can actually skydive.

Mine will fit ya chuck, if you put a pillow in your shirt~ :)
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography

Great links lurch any explanation for why your best distance and speed results have come from your sbird keeping in mind that no matter how holier than thau you and your friends think you are, you are still bound by the same laws of physics as the rest of us mere mortals.

Just felt the need to add my 2 cents when I smelled BS..

Yes, we are all bound by the same laws of physics, and suggesting that others think their not, is also silly, Kinda like you taking Matt's comment of "what planet are you from" and literally explain to us that Australia was, in fact on planet earth. No one here thinks they are "Holier than Thou", we are all mere mortals, only here for a short time. In that short time we have, there are many of us that enjoy, and are passionate about sharing what knowledge we have acquired over time, and do it for the love of the evolution of human flight, and for others that share a similar passion and desire to learn. If you'd like a short fat guy who's a pilot and has a very firm grasp on aerodynamics & the different factors that loading on a wingsuit produce, and performance differences for different people due to this, Sorry, im not going to waste my time further than I currently have to share with those whom dont care to listen.

Its hard to imagine, that the space of this thread, one can find a way to attempt to insult so many people who have been a huge part of the history in this sport, even if some of us came up together thru the "toddler years" of wingsuiting, seeing suits becoming more of an airfoil than not a hell of a lot more than a camera suit with a tailwing, does not mean anyone you reference thinks they are better than anyone else.

Instead of mocking, or suggesting that many of us dont understand a basic level of physics, why not realize that maybe there are things to learn from what is being shared, even for those outside the "bubble", by someone who's character, ability, or experience have never been questioned. Maybe some difference in terminology, but him having taken the time to attempt to explain something that is on the cutting edge of performance of our discipline says a lot about what kinda guy Lurch is. And if you dont personally know him, I'll tell you he's one of the finest, true to earth, yet oddest guys you'll meet. Im glad to call him my friend, and I'd be your wingman anytime Lurch~
B|

The one thing I have come to realize, is trolls suck. Nothing ever positive comes from any of their input, hence, why a vast majority of those with experience or lives, avoid this place like the plague, and rightly should. To take the time to try to share your experience and opinions, then to have to defend yourself against those who just enjoy causing trouble, just takes more effort than its worth, and simply takes information out of the hands of future wingsuiters who may actually be able to learn something from one of these opinions.

Its unfortunate that the value of this forum is mainly for comedic release these days, and has become the type of environment where being honest and sharing experience is merely fodder for those with nothing better to do than find something to bitch about, whatever it may be.

Hope you enjoy jumping your wingsuit in Australia, us rednecks in the US have been completely oblivious to anything regarding wingsuiting, which must appear obvious to everyone outside the bubble... but the good news is, It appears your live outside the bubble. So if you dont like it so much why try to be in it so badly? I believe you would do yourself, as well as the rest of us, a great justice to stay outside the bubble. We mere mortals care to live without Trolls anyways. There's enough BS drama in our sport at the moment without any added help. Attacking the character of good people has got to stop, from many parties; and I believe we're all about done wasting what little time we have on this planet, (which Australia is located on) trying to explain aerodynamic theory, and much more obvious things in this and plenty of other threads, dealing with trolls and dishonest individuals. Cant people just grow up? I know I've got my own kids to raise, and students to teach, and I've wasted more than enough time on people of this nature. Just not worth it. Lots more positive things to focus energy on.

Keep on Killin it Lurch~ Don't pay the toll of the troll~ its hard sometimes, but they do show themselves to be, what they are before you know it. Just do the right thing, and no one can say you didn't. :)

That is all. Have a nice day :)

Blue Skies & Big Puffy Clouds

Scotty Burns
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography

Haha here is lurch the one who rudely criticized me when I said wingsuits would get bigger and soar one day, now he's here admitting bigger suits are possible. Lurch is a true contradiction walking on legs.

Lurch I've been in touch with Tony for a couple of years and I do believe you will lose your bet with me, I hope you don't forget the public apology on here in case I was right ;)

Lauren Giselle

Lauren Martins - www.youtube.com/user/gisellemartins20

Speaking of trolls, Scotty, get a load of this one. She's Baaack.

I know its silly to engage a troll but I feel like playing whack-a-mole. Almost nothing left in the forum but trolls anyway.

Maam, with all possible respect, you opened yourself up to ridicule and well earned humiliation the last time, by making loud, authoritative assertions about an art of which you know nothing.

You admit that you have never flown a wingsuit but then try to tell us, that you know far more than we do about the topic and that you, not us, know what and how we will be flying in the future. You're someone who doesn't even swim trying to tell a shipbuilder how to build his boat and you've never even BEEN in one.

You then followed it up by taking a condescending "silly little boys" attitude toward every actual wingsuit pilot who tried to explain to you why your notions of how we fly, make no sense.

Further, explaining to you that you do not, can not, and will not understand what you are talking about until and unless you become an actual wingsuit pilot did not work. You never understood that we don't take you seriously because you have no actual idea how a wingsuit is flown or how to fly one, let alone improve radically on their design.

When you can make suits and make them fly better than we can, then, we will listen to you.

The last time somebody tried to use my own words against me to discredit my report about a suit, I decided to stop wasting further time arguing with him and prove my assertions about the suit by mapping out the suit's performance with hard GPS data and winning an international competition with it, setting a new record for the event in the process.

Now if that wasn't an elegant demonstration I don't know what is.

But here you are, back for more.

Now, do you really want to engage me in an argument?

I mean you can try, but last time you came across like a senior citizen with alzheimers protesting pancakes.

Please. Tell me more about how we talk silly nonsense, don't know what we're talking about and soon we'll be flapping up to altitude because of some cartoon pictures you drew that prove it.

I'm sure Tony is falling all over himself waiting for you to tell him how he ought to be designing his suits.

You've got about 200 skydives and about 1000 wingsuit flights to go before you actually can begin to know what you're talking about and are capable of discussing wingsuit technical issues with us in an intelligent and informed manner. Get started. Have fun. Come back and talk when you actually know how to fly one. Till then you have nothing further to say to us but noise. We tried being polite and nice last time but you just kept at it as if you thought you were going to win somehow. If we can't have a serious discussion without people like you popping in, then we'll have a good laugh at your expense instead. And here, we... go.

*Chuck, where are ya buddy, we need ya, you used far fewer words to accomplish this same task and FAR more eloquently.
:)-B

Here lurch comes again with his endless vitriolic patronising arguments, saying 'we all wingsuiters' stop speaking for others, speak for yourself, you are the problem and many others pilots already disagreed with you here, stop saying 'we' and say 'I' as clearly not everyone thinks like you, no wonder why Tony don't listen to you. Last 2 topics ' soaring wingsuits' I think you should read the old topic again and see who's like a vitriolic non sense contradicting himself.

Feel sorry for you lurch :D

Lauren Martins - www.youtube.com/user/gisellemartins20

Hi there everyone,

So, after reading some of the more useful and accurate posts i would like to post myself, for the first time.

As lurch was saying, when you fly your suit at very high performance, at the limit were drag becomes a factor, having a smaller suit allows you to have less drag and more forward speed and added flight dynamics.

My thoughts are this, if the T bird can be flown the way it was flown next to an apache, would someone with my build really need an apache? or would it be a giant drag machine?

I had an X2 before, and the results were fantastic, i could float like a leaf, but i could definitely feel the execs wing material of the suit being affected by drag when we reached a high forward speed. I feel like when trying to reach ultimate performance in a wingsuit, the wing/size/ and wing load of a suit must match the qualities and build of the pilot. I am 6"1 157lbs and very very skinny, this is why i can make the T bird fly in high performance areas never to be thought possible for such a small suit.

What is the next big step? I think the next big step is to find a way to custom make suits to match ( more specifically ) the pilot profile, focusing on reducing drag in high performance flights and increasing the aerodynamical capabilities of the suit. This type of suit would allow most high performance pilots to really get in ninja mode.

Thanks for reading,

- V - B|

Oh, you'll never -need- an Apache, but I envy what I'll expect you to be able to do with one.

It -IS- a giant drag machine, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to fly it. I'm even lighter than you and I haven't been having any trouble keepin' up, right?
Its all in knowing how to load the thing.
It'll slow your forward speed some but you can compensate for that and it'll get you double lifty power in return. When you need them, I'll show you ninja tricks. You already saw some at Tiki, the folded wings flocking stuff. There's more. The suit's got a usable range of +178 to -29mph fallrate so far.

And I'm already thinking about modifying the thing over the winter. Just a little more material in the right places, maybe...
-B