chiron

wing suit helmet innovation

Remember when you're thinking of surface treatments for helmets, consider what velocity range that helmet was built for. Golfballs have dimples, are operating at a high velocity, but optimized for a spinning sphere for control (control-ability or staying straight). Dimpled bike helmets are mostly marketing, if there were any real gains from the dimples all the TT helmets would be dimpled, not just one model from one manufacturer. Look at modern gliders or other applications that travel ~wingsuiter velocities. What do their surfaces look like?

So I stopped by my fiberglass guy today to check up on my fiberglass race truck body and stated talking to him about an aerodynamic tracking/wingsuit helmet. He just designed a new Harley front faring which he placed on my head to get some ideas. With a lot of adjustment I think we'll get it dialed in.

Helmet will be set up so you can wear goggles equipped with Recon, flush mounted Fly-Sight, snag proof GoPro mounts, & internal audible pocket.

Might try and add in motorcycle helmet intercom headset & microphone.

FYI, I'm not going be flying this helmet, it's being built for a friend of mine who's attempting to break a wingsuit record.

This helmet will be designed and build by

http://www.motortrex.com/channels.php?channel=16

Let it rip...

From the photos it looks like its designed for use in Australia.:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Remember when you're thinking of surface treatments for helmets, consider what velocity range that helmet was built for. Golfballs have dimples, are operating at a high velocity, but optimized for a spinning sphere for control (control-ability or staying straight). Dimpled bike helmets are mostly marketing, if there were any real gains from the dimples all the TT helmets would be dimpled, not just one model from one manufacturer. Look at modern gliders or other applications that travel ~wingsuiter velocities. What do their surfaces look like?

See post #9 of this thread.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

thanks guys the info has been really helpfull so far, as a conceptual thing would a helmet with a small scren built in to relay weather conditions / air pressure type things be helpfull, mainly directed to those of you who jump around cliffs where changes in pressure can be detrimental

i suspect most of us would prefer that you investigate the points already raised rather than "a small scren built in to relay weather conditions"
eyes, knowledge typically obviate the need for what you suggest.

Just took the first step of designing the helmet. We used cardboard templates to get a very rough design idea. Now I'll fine tune it to get a more exact design. In the rear of the helmet, we'll incorporate a flush mounted Flysight. In the ear area we'll place pockets for Flysight earphone and audible altimeter.

Looks familiar

GoPro housing?

Seriously tho...can you see a chest mount/mudflap mount altimeter?
If this is carbon or other hard material, what are the potential problems for hard openings where the chin is slammed against the chest?
How much additional performance do you expect to gain by streamlining these two areas?

Pretty cool to see the innovation/experimentation, but do wonder how much the cost/risk vs proposed gains differ.

As far as the GoPro's go, goal is to mount 1 looking forward and one looking back. Still trying to nail down the design but considering running a tunnel on top of the helmet. The camera's will be mounted inside and top areas of the front/rear will be notched out to access the top button.

Mudflap alti: We are looking at the design and seeing what our options are. The over all design is set up to run Recon HUD goggles so jump info can seen in the HUD. Also researching other small altimeter which will be place in the line of sight.

Until we get the design nailed down the helmet will be made out of fiber glass and then later on in carbon. The gap between the chin and the chest is a couple of inches. I'm looking at it as becoming a head/neck braces, kind a like motocross neck braces which limits the distance the helmet movement. (Let me know if I'm right or wrong on this concept)

As far as performance goes, not sure how much performance gain it'll have. Hopefully we'll get good results and the helmet can be incorporated into competition flying where seconds count.

Until we build it out of carbon fiber then there very little cost. We'll stat off making a clone of the blk helmet u see in the pic and then add on the aero parts of the helmet. I have 3 other people working with me on this projects and safety is highly looked at. I won't be jumping this helmet but a good friend of mine will test pilot the helmet.

Mike McQueen will be doing all the work once the mock-up design is done out of paper. Here's a video I did on Mike and his work.

http://www.motortrex.com/channels.php?channel=16

For what I know this helmet idea work or fall apart but we never now if we don't try.

Funny you to mention RUROC Helmets. I got one and did a jump with it and goggle flew off. Take a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TQrctU0lO4

Either I didn't have the goggle on tight enough or the wind entering under the chin forced the goggle to take off.

Here are thoughts on the helmet. The exterior of the helmet is rough so GoPro adhesive mounts don't work. I had to hard mount one one the helmet. The face mask is way to close to the face. Helmet looks cool but it didn't work for me.

cdnpilot

Ruroc helmets are garbage and their customer service is beyond terrible! Stay far away.

They are fun helmets but the peripheral vision is very restricted for our use.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

I'm not sure what the issue is here in reference to wing-suiting however hopefully you guys can clarify / give thought. Is it issue with Camera's or is the issue in reference to safety (which zip skydive helmets are) or both?

I would think wingsuiting / skydiving would be on par with motorcycle riding (sportsbikes, not cruisers) however i am yet too try wingsuiting but no doubt its a goal i am currently striving too.

Motorcycle - when in race position head is all the way back, chin resting on gas / fuel tank, when entering turns head is only slightly brought forward a few degree's you still have full vision where-ever your head direction goes.

wing-suiting - similar head position on exits and for direction of flight, similar viewing angle when looking around.

if its FOV then sorry i disagree and us riders are all blind bats :D
"Don't let the fear of what could happen, make nothing happen."

You need to be able to swivel head around all axis to clear airspace, during flight, deployment and post deployment, you need to be able to look down at chest mounts and up at deploying canopy, over shoulder etc pre deployment and in flight to be aware of other flyers . On top of this you may wish to look down to carryout emergency drills, you also may wish to be able to mount a camera, with as reduced a snag risk as possible, have decent protection from impacts and be light weight so as to reduce loading in flight and on deployment. You would also like it to be affordable.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

I appreciate your humor Jarno.

Yeah, they cost too much. I bought a Cookie G2 when they were pretty new for a little over $200. Made of carbon fiber with metal grills. The injection molded 20 cents of plastic ones are now $380, and have creeped up, from 340 to 360 to 380, nothing has changed, inflation has not increased 100% since 2010, and R&D should have been recouped by now, if not then they have a terrible business model. I even ordered a replacement liner and after the first wash all the seams came undone and I had to glue them back together.

The G2/G3 decent helmet but the liner is garbage, not designed to be removed, and the helmet is worth $200 at best.

Vanity pricing is a terribly annoying problem, but skydivers are retards so I don't see it going away any time soon.

More examples all from the last five years.

Viso2, $220 to $290 (roughly a 25% increase)

Altitrack $300 to $400 (33% increase)

Optimum $1,300 to $,1600 (roughly a 25% increase) But mains have stayed the same... weird...

Viso elastic wrist mount $10 to $30.

Power packing tool $10 to $20

If primadonna dumb asses would stop shelling out outrageous amounts of money for gear then manufacturers would have to stop inflating prices.