chiron

wing suit helmet innovation

Rather than a box stuck onto the helmet we need a smooth incorporated camera box as part of the helmet design, smooth flowing curves and it would be pretty snag resistant. Also having the impact foam up to impact standards like the protect and other snowboarding helmets would be awesome. currently helmets are more of audible mounts than protection devices. tear drop towards the back of the neck would help airlflow.

thanks

Implementation of dimples similar to those in golf balls therefore creating less drag/friction with the airflow. Even proven to save gas when used on a car (at least according to mythbusters) by a whopping 11%
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Implementation of dimples similar to those in golf balls therefore creating less drag/friction with the airflow. Even proven to save gas when used on a car (at least according to mythbusters) by a whopping 11%

Whether or not this works depends on whether or not the flow separates early. Early flow separation happens on smooth spheres, giving a lot of drag. The turbulence introduced by dimpling adds some friction drag but delays the flow separation and reduces overall drag.
Picture

The Taurus used by Mythbusters may benefit, but it doesn't mean that a better designed car would. Or, for that matter, a helmet or wingsuit wing.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

How about a full face helmet with a retractable visor that dosent fog easily, low profile, with a small flat top where you can mount things. decent sized audible pockets. A visor lock that works with one hand. Real impact protection, Rated for multiple impacts. Tinted visors (irridium antiglare coatings) good airflow inside the helmet. UNDER $400!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

How about a full face helmet with a retractable visor that dosent fog easily, low profile, with a small flat top where you can mount things. decent sized audible pockets. A visor lock that works with one hand. Real impact protection, Rated for multiple impacts. Tinted visors (irridium antiglare coatings) good airflow inside the helmet. UNDER $400!

+1

thanks guys the info has been really helpfull so far, as a conceptual thing would a helmet with a small scren built in to relay weather conditions / air pressure type things be helpfull, mainly directed to those of you who jump around cliffs where changes in pressure can be detrimental

thanks guys the info has been really helpfull so far, as a conceptual thing would a helmet with a small scren built in to relay weather conditions / air pressure type things be helpfull, mainly directed to those of you who jump around cliffs where changes in pressure can be detrimental

If you are flying so close to a cliff that the air pressure matters, the last thing you need is to be focusing on something which is not the cliff.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

a while ago I was thinking of the same idea and started this thread

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4349698;page=unread#unread

also photoshop'd the attached pic. the top helmet is a speed skiing or speed skateboard helmet and the other is a cycling helmet.

i'm going to work with my fiberglass guy and see what we can come up with.

Helmets that snag lines and break your neck on opening sound like a bad idea.
For most people the 1% decrease in drag will result in a smaller performance gain than a good 100 or more jumps of training will give you.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

agree that the snag factor is huge problem. with a correct design such as having the helmet taper straight back and end with a square point might work. my point with these kind of helmets is not for the average flyer but for the competitors. At some point an advanced flyers skill set will get to a point where they'll look at other ways to increase performance.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/kask-crono-tt-helmet-first-look-33310/1/ (sorry If i didn't so the link they properly. Suitable for wing suits but super expensive (produced/engineered by the secret squirrel labs of british cycling and not really publicly available). Full impact protection (all cycling helmets must meet or exceed euro crash standards to be raced) but good luck getting one, even though all products used in the pro tour must be publicly available they really aren't ...

hello everyone i am training to be an industrial designer and was wondering whether you as a community could help me and possibly yourselves in the future by sharing any and all problems you find with currently available helmets.

The problems I've had so far is not finding one pink enough :(

Do you think you could help design a really pink one?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

How about having a device like Fly Sight built into the helmet. It could be designed for better GPS signal reception and have a built in audible and or visual feedback for vertical/horizontal speeds and glide ratios...Same with commonly used cameras.

So I stopped by my fiberglass guy today to check up on my fiberglass race truck body and stated talking to him about an aerodynamic tracking/wingsuit helmet. He just designed a new Harley front faring which he placed on my head to get some ideas. With a lot of adjustment I think we'll get it dialed in.

Helmet will be set up so you can wear goggles equipped with Recon, flush mounted Fly-Sight, snag proof GoPro mounts, & internal audible pocket.

Might try and add in motorcycle helmet intercom headset & microphone.

FYI, I'm not going be flying this helmet, it's being built for a friend of mine who's attempting to break a wingsuit record.

This helmet will be designed and build by

http://www.motortrex.com/channels.php?channel=16

Let it rip...