kallend

Summerfest

In addition a new state record this was a really awesome event overall! Super leadership by Taya and Purple Mike, flawless video coverage by Skwrl and Hoover, and a really fun team to fly with. We also had a great learning environment with visible progress pretty much every jump. My thanks to all that made this event happen.

As a bonus, I was there for "Skwrl in tow" and Sherpa adventure dives that you really had to experience to fully appreciate...

The big way camp earlier this week was really fun and educational. Thanks to Taya and Mike for being great organizers!

We only have a couple days of Summerfest left, but we still have a big group of wingsuiters here doing big flocks, small flocks, rodeos, docking jumps, performance runs, and first flights.

The rest of the pics are now up at http://skwrl.smugmug.com/Skydiving/Summerfest-2012/24511381_JHbVDk#!i=2000827859&k=gnB8vcm

This event was a lot of fun for me; I really enjoyed seeing a lot of my wingsuiting friends and getting to check out the local marina.

As an aside, let me offer up the following observation: the revised grid requirement (the "27% grid") is fiendishly hard for a large formation to meet. You'll note a bunch of very, very pretty 36 way formations in my and Hoover's pictures that don't meet the 27% grid.

To be clear, I'm not arguing to alter - or not alter - the grid or to start a long conversation about whether the grid is the right method or whether we should use a lattice method, a complex algorithm, or some other method that requires non-Euclidean geometry, fractals, and CERN to measure. (I personally don't care, I just take the pictures.) But it's pretty obvious that the revised grid is a challenge to meet, particularly when you get to formations bigger than 20 or so.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Jeff, it's also interesting to note that some of my photos which I am fairly sure were taken at the exact same moment as yours (like the one on the last jump immediately before breakoff) fit into the grid slightly differently. This is probably due to (a) different barrel distortions in our lenses and (b) centering, or lack thereof, over the flock. I noticed for the whole event I was flying probably 20-30ft further forward than you when taking my "grid shots." So either I am forward too far, you are backward too far, or some combination of both. But it is really easy to see that moving back increases the apparent angle between the two leading edges of the diamond. If that angle (true measure) is less than 90, you can move back to a certain point where it will measure 90 on the photo (although at this point you're much nearer to the rear of the formation, so you've introduced other problems if perspective into the grid).

Like you, I don't really care, I just take the pictures. But the above observations may be useful for those who do care. :)

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Agreed with that 100%, Matt - there's definitely parallax, and I think you've diagnosed the sources of the problem pretty well.

Of course, that raises the tricky problem of "how do you know where the camera dork is precisely in the right spot when the record pic is taken?"

These are the some of the many questions that will be slugged out by those who get excited about these sorts of things...

To be clear, I'm not arguing to alter - or not alter - the grid or to start a long conversation about whether the grid is the right method or whether we should use a lattice method, a complex algorithm, or some other method that requires non-Euclidean geometry, fractals, and CERN to measure.

Spoilsport!

But it's pretty obvious that the revised grid is a challenge to meet, particularly when you get to formations bigger than 20 or so.

Indeed, you can fly a perfect, absolutely uniform diamond** with all the lines exactly straight and still not fit the grid if the apex angle is just a few degrees away from 90.

Maybe we should all carry protractors on the jumps.

** a diamond as seen on a playing card is not square, but the grid we use is square.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The big way camp earlier this week was really fun and educational. Thanks to Taya and Mike for being great organizers!

We only have a couple days of Summerfest left, but we still have a big group of wingsuiters here doing big flocks, small flocks, rodeos, docking jumps, performance runs, and first flights.

AND we got to watch the freeflyers complete a new head down world record!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

To be clear, I'm not arguing to alter - or not alter - the grid or to start a long conversation about whether the grid is the right method or whether we should use a lattice method, a complex algorithm, or some other method that requires non-Euclidean geometry, fractals, and CERN to measure.

Spoilsport!

But it's pretty obvious that the revised grid is a challenge to meet, particularly when you get to formations bigger than 20 or so.

Indeed, you can fly a perfect, absolutely uniform diamond** with all the lines exactly straight and still not fit the grid if the apex angle is just a few degrees away from 90.

Maybe we should all carry protractors on the jumps.

** a diamond as seen on a playing card is not square, but the grid we use is square.

These are concerns that I raised at a gathering a couple of years ago. Camera angle, lens distortion, etc... that were all essentially disregarded at the time ... :|
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

why the need for an objective measure (which is obviously almost impossible to meet due to technical reasons) ?
let's have a subjective validation of records :
everybody happy : record validated :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

For those of you who have not been caught by the Facebook trap (not to be confused with the Donohue trap), here are my photos from the event:

CLICKY

Thanks to Taya and Mike for safe and thorough organizing. Thanks to all the flyers for being there. It was great to see old friends and make some new ones.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Matt is going to be editing together a video. I still need to cull my video to get him my stuff; I am aiming to send him much of that tomorrow.

As an aside, let me offer up the following observation: the revised grid requirement (the "27% grid") is fiendishly hard for a large formation to meet. You'll note a bunch of very, very pretty 36 way formations in my and Hoover's pictures that don't meet the 27% grid.

not trying to start the old fight though I'm probably gonna get some bs going for saying this anyway... but can I remind you that something called a record is not supposed to be easy?
pretty sure that if all our wingsuit flyers had the same level of skill and jump numbers as the freeflyers on the head down record, we'd have an easier time fitting any grid.

that aside, interesting to see you guys get different results with pictures taken at slightly different positions/angles.
and kallend gets to say "told you so" for the millionth time...

whatever. all in all, it was an awesome boogie and the group of people there was a lot of fun to fly (and party) with. Both the bigger-ways and the fun acro and rodeos and other crazy shit from the second weekend.

we got some sick pictures and video, and some long lasting fun memories. that's all that matters.

that's all that matters.

Agreed. Goals should be hard, or else nobody will choose them as their goals. Nobody wants to aspire to the "most months of not sticking a Crayon up his nose" record. (Well, nobody except Skwrl, circa 1975. But those damn things just looked like they would fit! How can that kind of temptation be resisted, I ask?)

kallend gets to say "told you so" for the millionth time

I think you're low by an order of magnitude.