roostnureye

Wingsuits Banned at DZs

Can we get a list started of drop zones that Do Not allow wingsuiting?
I travel a fair amount and would appreciate anyone that has knowledge of any DZs not allowing wingsuiters to please add to the list.
this list is not about trying to blackball dzs.... its to get the knowledge out there of where we can and cant jump.

I'll start with the first one I know of to ban wingsuits

1.miami
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Maybe this is overly paranoid, but i think a list could get large enough that other dzo's feel more comfortable adding themselves to it. Frankly I'd rather not be giving them ideas...

I agree.
There are currently several DZ's that are currently not permitting WS. However, at least 3 of them are working on options and there is hope that we'll see them allow WS in the near future.
Some of us have spent hours on the phone and internet working with these DZ's. It's in no one's best interests to create a list, however well intended, of DZ's that aren't currently compatible with wingsuiting.

If you genuinely are concerned, how hard is it to pick up a phone, call the DZ and ask the question vs digging up a post on a website and hoping it's still accurate?

One call, that's all.

Whats the BIG secret? Check out the Dropzone link on thie website, it lists whether a dropzone allows hookturns. How is this list so different? Can we stop acting like wingsuiting should be allowed at every drop zone? It shouldn't so lets list where we can visit without having to run into a problem. Just how some dropzone can't stand to see a fun jumpersn because they run tandems. Share!

Let's get over this "power struggle save the wingsuit world" and just share some information for a change. Are we worried that maybe the list of wingsuit banned dropzones isn't actually long enough to justify a wingsuit instructor rating maybe???

So far I see 1 on the list...is that it? I bet $1000 to the national skydive museum that the list won't be a legitimate double digits within a week.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

1. miami
2. snohomish, wa

3.Tsunami Skydive at the Oceanside airport, San Diego, CA

(it's not that I want to reach the double digits, but the museum could do with your 1000$ :))
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Whats the BIG secret? Check out the Dropzone link on thie website, it lists whether a dropzone allows hookturns. How is this list so different? Can we stop acting like wingsuiting should be allowed at every drop zone? It shouldn't so lets list where we can visit without having to run into a problem. Just how some dropzone can't stand to see a fun jumpersn because they run tandems. Share!

Let's get over this "power struggle save the wingsuit world" and just share some information for a change. Are we worried that maybe the list of wingsuit banned dropzones isn't actually long enough to justify a wingsuit instructor rating maybe???

So far I see 1 on the list...is that it? I bet $1000 to the national skydive museum that the list won't be a legitimate double digits within a week.

Thank You Simon for having enough courage to say this^ i dont understand why some people feel the need to be secretive about things such as this. i mean we are one big family, why not treat eachother like one.

this discipline is the fastest growing discipline in the sport right now, we have to take care of eachother, let dzs realize if they dont allow wingsuits they are predetermining their own future as to where this discipline is headed.

the future of skydiving will have wingsuits in it, lets get everyone on board and try to make things safer so this list dosent get out of hand.

wingsuits are the future, get on board or get left behind.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

On 7/28/12 - there is no goal for Fanta Wild Cherry - but you do want us to sample this on Saturday, right? If so, what is the goal count?

On 7/28/12 - there is no goal for big sweeps - if we have any in storage, do you want us to hand these out on Saturday, in addition to Friday and Sunday?? If so, what is the goal count?

If this is one big family, it is the most dysfunctional family I have ever witnessed. They should be on an episode of Jerry Springer. The WS community I have found out is extremely divided into many different cliques. Getting them to think alike, work together, or in some cases even talk has proven to be impossible. Not to mention if some of the time being used was put to coming up with solutions instead of crushing peoples integrity and motives maybe we would have a chance.

I have and am still under the belief that information (positive and negative) should be shared. Can I call a dropzone to find out? Yes. However, if I'm trying to determine the current state of dropzones and wingsuiting then I would have to call every dropzone.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Some of the integrity issues created a solid foundation of mistrust years ago. Some of it was outright illegal and criminal.

From previous conversations with you, Mark, I think I know the things that you're referring to in this quote, but I am pretty sure that "the community" was fractionalized, cliquey and ego-driven loooooooong before those events...
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Some of the integrity issues created a solid foundation of mistrust years ago. Some of it was outright illegal and criminal.

From previous conversations with you, Mark, I think I know the things that you're referring to in this quote, but I am pretty sure that "the community" was fractionalized, cliquey and ego-driven loooooooong before those events...

yeah, for sure, but normiss is strangely very biased in his views, his posts are always one sided

this community was screwed when I joined it in 2008... but even then it was nothing comparing to what's going on these days

people should just grow up, nobody is special

If there was a way to take the personalities out of the equation and concentrate on the issues it might help a bit. HAHA we know that cant really happen so we are left to sift through the BS and try to get to the core issues.

I was told that when AFF evolved in the beginning that similiar problems arose, if it helps to compare.

I do recognize the concern that arbitrary wingsuit rentals will be affected by dropzones that don't allow wingsuits.
On the other hand, if a DZO is on the fence and seeking information, he/she is reaching out and trying to make an informed decision, or at the least, trying to understand more about potential options.
Being on "the list" has already been identified as an instant non-starter for at least two DZO's, one of which has now allowed wingsuiting on a limited basis after conversations and emails with myself and another WS instructor.

"The List" may be intended as informational, but given the attitudes presented here, DZO's are right to be concerned that they'll become the target of mudslinging.

It doesn't matter if it's 5, 8, 10, or 20 DZ's; if the list vilifies DZO's, or acts as a divider amongst DZO's, then it's not a good thing for the discipline. I feel we should be trying to work together, not creating lists of "who is opposed to what we do."

Interesting to note tho, some want a "US standard" of who won't allow wingsuits on their DZ, but are opposed to a US standard of instruction.:S

+1
I would change the name of the list to Banned (by us) DZs. Places I would not go even for hop'n pops or freeflying. Thank God we still don't have this in Brazil and the discipline is growing
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

First I read Para5-0:

Not to mention if some of the time being used was put to coming up with solutions instead of crushing peoples integrity and motives maybe we would have a chance.

Then I read WickedWingsuits:

Are we worried that maybe the list of wingsuit banned dropzones isn't actually long enough to justify a wingsuit instructor rating maybe???

Then I read DSE:

I do recognize the concern that arbitrary wingsuit rentals will be affected by dropzones that don't allow wingsuits.

Then I LOL'ed. You guys all deserve each other...

Getting them to think alike, work together, or in some cases even talk has proven to be impossible. Not to mention if some of the time being used was put to coming up with solutions instead of crushing peoples integrity and motives maybe we would have a chance.

Guilty! ( holds hand up) of close quarter mud slinging, yup! But that is what happens in a mud slinging fight ( not that its a an excuse) . Do you really want us to think alike? Do all the other disciplines think alike? Don't we value diversity?

Here is a possible solution: Video articles with the proper way to do things, exits, navigation anything we are sensitive and possibly failing at as a dysfunctional family. Bring more function to the discipline. There is a lot of expert technique out there just waiting to grace us all.

Thinking along the lines of Brian Germain's video episodes and interviews. Wealth of knowledge I know I look forward to each one. Just don't feel we need to turn WS instruction upside down and involve the USPA is all. Why does it have to be all or nothing? Being completely serious and there you can't say I didn't offer solutions.:)
Back on this thread, I think it is a good idea as long as we don't engage in DZ slamming Not every venue or aircraft plays well with wingsuits.

If this is one big family, it is the most dysfunctional family I have ever witnessed.

That's an understatement if I've ever heard one. A lot of the dysfunction occurs online. Go to a boogie and everyone is smiles and jumps together and if you bring up an ongoing topic of discussion, all of a sudden there isn't an issue anymore, face to face conversations are entirely different than what is encountered online in my experience. It really is a shame IMO as there really is no reason there has to be this much drama all of the time. I cannot tell you how many times I've spoken to other skydivers and been told the reason they didn't fly or want to fly a wingsuit was due to all the drama they observed from the outside looking in. In all honesty, I can't blame them for feeling that way.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I cannot tell you how many times I've spoken to other skydivers and been told the reason they didn't fly or want to fly a wingsuit was due to all the drama they observed from the outside looking in. In all honesty, I can't blame them for feeling that way.

Not aimed at you, but thats about the most ridiculous thing I've heard this week. Couple of kids waving their dicks at each other, creating drama and people don't want to try an activity that is strictly a personal experience for them. The hell is wrong with people today?
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

LMAO,

This is being posted as a first post, and you happen to know all of us pretty well.

I have signed every post I have ever made on this site, and take responsibility for every word.

Does anyone see the hypocracy? I have no agenda other than to help your community have a voice. IF you must hide to say whats on your mind send me a PM or call me on my cell and tell me your thoughts. God knows I have asked for them enough times in the last 5 months.

No it won't. Banning wingsuits at some (2 so far) dropzones just means people will take their money somewhere else. Thats what people do in a free economy.

When Lodi banned wingsuiting did everyone just sell their suits and switch back to belly flying??? I don't think so.

You can try and make this about my business if you want...but actually it is just about my opinion. Don't confuse the two.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

You can try and make this about my business if you want...but actually it is just about my opinion. Don't confuse the two.

Are we worried that maybe the list of wingsuit banned dropzones isn't actually long enough to justify a wingsuit instructor rating maybe???

Ditto.