5.samadhi

futuristic wingsuit swoop - video (not mine!)

hey check out the 'swoop' around 3:15 in the video...I have never seen a video like this before, if I didnt know what was going on I'd guess he was under a velocity canopy loaded at 3:1+++

its a balls out swoop with a wingsuit (apache I believe).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udpmpyD46sI&feature=related

Anyways not a lot of point to this, but just to comment about this as what seems to be futuristic imagination from the pilot. I have never seen so much commitment, even in the flight through the crack or Jeb's proximity flights.

is this where wingsuit proximity flying is going??? To swoop features and planeout like canopy pilots would do on speedflying runs??

its not a swoop, its making a turn and diving the suit to stay inside the valley. its just proximity flying.

Your comment is like me calling a cat a cat and then disagreeing with me and saying "its just an animal" (you're RIGHT of course that its an animal!)

heh and what exactly is the initiation of a swoop if not "making a turn and diving"? :P We do that with our canopies (a front riser dive) and planeout (recovery arc + toggles).

Why are you hesitant to agree that a wingsuit can swoop? Hell they basically are canopies that we fly for all intents and purposes, highly highly loaded canopies!

Same idea a speedflyer would do here just different tool: banking the suit increases (temporarily) the downward velocity which is then converted into horizontal velocity during the LONG planeout the pilot COMMITS to.

Would you say a canopy pilot did not initiate a 90 degree hookturn (note thats the degree rotation this pilot did) and use the toggles to swoop the terrain during a speedflying run over the same terrain?

Do wingsuit pilots have to literally drag their toe across the dirt before you'd say they are swooping (maybe not far off!?)??

the wingsuit pilot is diving the suit and generating speed which he is converting for a long planeout (ie what most would not hesitate to call swoop...I think most wouldnt hesitate to at least, your semantic input is noted though)

that is my understanding of the physics and semantics here...feel free to comment if I am misunderstanding the proximity dive/planeout thing pilot is doing...

The word swoop does indeed mean many things and I agree that arguing over that is not productive.

Same idea a speedflyer would do here just different tool: banking the suit increases (temporarily) the downward velocity which is then converted into horizontal velocity during the LONG planeout the pilot COMMITS to.

However, you are way off on this one. That is not a planeout... it's steady state flight. He could hug that slope at that angle all day. The turn he did was not to "generate speed for a planeout." It was to point himself where he wanted to go.

To generate speed in a wingsuit, for a planeout, you need to dive VERY steeply (like right at the ground) for an extended amount of time. Doing this in a BASE/proximity environment is clearly insane, and is clearly not what is happening in the video.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

so The111 is there a magical point where a dive can generate a 'swoop' and before that it does not effect the subsequent GR during a flare at all?:D

I think your theory is off but eh i dunno

i think any extra speed from a small dive will help subsequent flare and GR of the flight compared to initiating flare/planeout from no dive (steay state flight as you call it).

so The111 is there a magical point where a dive can generate a 'swoop' and before that it does not effect the subsequent GR during a flare at all?:D

The pilot in the video you are watching is flying way below his potential GR. If there is any doubt in your mind about this, watch how he rapidly and easily climbs at the end of the gravel road. All he is doing there is adjusting to a glide ratio closer to (but still below, probably) his potential. If anything, you could call that move a planeout, but most likely he is just transitioning to a new steady state flight (though there is surely some dynamic lift available in the transition phase).

Flying way UNDER your potential GR is a key feature of proximity flight. The point of a flare/planeout is to achieve something GREATER than your normal glide ratio. It is ludicrous to say somebody is flaring or planing out when he is below max steady state glide. It doesn't get any more black and white than that.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

i think any extra speed from a small dive will help subsequent flare and GR of the flight compared to initiating flare/planeout from no dive (steay state flight as you call it).

My god are you dumb and convinced that you know everything about everything.

Given the massive WL of a wingsuit, and the shit aerodynamics, what sort of duration would you expect the effects of a 'small dive' to last? One second? Two? Half a second? Would there even be a tangible result in terms of GR?

Get over yourself, and go sit with the other 'average Joe' types who think that proxy flying is anything but an average WS flight next to a very steep mountain. Here's a hint for the next time you watch a proxy video on Youtube (which I can only assume will be within the next hour), look at the trees, and their angle relative to path of the WS pilot. Trees always grow straight up, so the angle of the trees to the ground will show you the truth of the matter.

The wingsuit pilot is diving the suit and generating speed which he is converting for a long planeout (ie what most would not hesitate to call swoop...)

IMO what you describe is more commenly know as a "flare", which is, I think, mainly done in the skydive environment during performance competitions to get a boost in distance when entering your competition/working altitude. Everybody I know calls it a "flare" and I know no-one who calls this a swoop.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

My god are you dumb and convinced that you know everything about everything.

Given the massive WL of a wingsuit, and the shit aerodynamics, what sort of duration would you expect the effects of a 'small dive' to last? One second? Two? Half a second? Would there even be a tangible result in terms of GR?

Get over yourself, and go sit with the other 'average Joe' types who think that proxy flying is anything but an average WS flight next to a very steep mountain. Here's a hint for the next time you watch a proxy video on Youtube (which I can only assume will be within the next hour), look at the trees, and their angle relative to path of the WS pilot. Trees always grow straight up, so the angle of the trees to the ground will show you the truth of the matter.

holy shit man do you have a stick up your ass!

:D

holy shit man do you have a stick up your ass!

I'm sure it's just me. You're fine in thinking that you can dive and 'swoop' a wingsuit along level ground for what had to be 1000's of feet, but I'm the one with the problem when I get ticked that you won't even listen to the correct, common sense answers that you're given.

I don't live in a bubble, and I remember all the other posts where you have 'your reasons' the skydivign desicions you make, and most of them had something to do with, 'I intend to BASE jump with a wingsuit one day, so everything I do now is aimed at getting me ready for that'. Even then, when the error of your ways was pointed out then, you stuck to your gins that even if skydiving and proxy flying were two different things, you were going to follow the proxy flying protocols while skydiving because you thought it was 'getting you ready'.

You're not special or unique, and puds like you come and go all day long. You get so focused on what you think you want to be, that you forget what you really are today. You're not a BASE jumper, wingsuit BASE jumper, big wall jumper or proxy flyer, you're a skydiver with a hint of wingsuit experience with a suit that's way too big for you, and an inflated self image that's too big for just about anyone.

You think I have a stick up my ass? Great, I'll look at your track record for being right about shit, and consider the source of the remark. Truth is, if anything I said had even a hint of being incorrect, or even poorly worded, any one of 20 guys would have been all over it and corrected me, both in thread and via PM. Happens all the time, and I do it to others all the time. Some of it is in the interest of maintaining correct info on the board, and some of it is just busting the other guy's balls. In either case, I said what I said, and you know I heard in response (aside from your genius remark)? Zippo.

well I was psyched to talk about what seemed cool to me and I never claimed to be an expert.

but whatever guys!

enjoy your life ;)

From reading other replies, the problem isn't your talking, it's your listening. ;)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Sangi had a swooping accident half a year ago, and is on a long road to recovery from a broken back and being paralized from the waist down. He still reads dz.com every once in a while and knows he sadly learnt lessons in life the hard way.

He was much more better at the trolling thing than this guy though;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?