5.samadhi

Full Flight Deployment vs collapsing wings

Me in white:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/481896_3324439762335_794695543_n.jpg

B|
I guess that's what I get for being 115lbs and flocking in an X :D

... for flying with people who appear to be arched with knees bent and hanging on their arm wings.
can I add a +1 to that ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Do you guys not like hanging out with other people?

I get amused by the whole "if you're not legs out you're not flying!!!1!!" line of thinking. It shows up pretty predictably once every 3 or 4 months here on dropzone.com.

If you're flying base and have a big/fast forward suit on, you can (i) fly at max flight, at Ludicrous Speed, and scream away from everyone else, or (ii) adjust your flight to not move as fast as possible to allow other people to get into the flock as well. Other people in the flock (the two guys on the side in this picture) might have to adjust as well. Could the three dudes collectively go faster? Sure. But maybe they didn't want to leave the rest of the flock in the dust...

Case in point - this weekend, on one jump we put together a small flock with Rick Hough, Andreea Olea and two inexperienced guys. The goal was to help them learn how to approach a flock. Rick could have gone full flight in his suit, and Andreea and I could have kept up and we would have had sexy, straight legs. But you know who wouldn't? The two n00bs in the Intro suits...

Sure, it's nicer to fly legs out, but that only works well if you have a flock of people with appropriate suits/weights/skills, which doesn't always happen.

Wingsuiting is like sex - doing it alone isn't as fun.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Sure, it's nicer to fly legs out, but that only works well if you have a flock of people with appropriate suits/weights/skills, which doesn't always happen.

That sums it up. For the record, I'm not complaining about flying folded up. I had a friggin blast on the flock.
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.

Do you guys not like hanging out with other people?

There aren't a lot of other people to hang out with around here.

If you're flying base and have a big/fast forward suit on ...

Either don't have the person with the big/fast forward suit fly base or have them fly as fast as the smallest/slowest forward suit. In other words, at least one person should be flying almost all out.

Agreed, it works better with appropriate suits/weights/skills. Although making people work or get left behind can help improve skills.

Wingsuiting is like sex - doing it alone isn't as fun.

Is doing it with others fun? Yes. Is doing it alone fun? Yes. If you're not having fun doing it alone, you're doing it wrong ... :P
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

So what exactly is full flight?

Well, that is the point of my observation.

If I were to be the authority on definitions, it would be wings open, unstalled, unflaired, steady state gliding flight. Rather like we fly in a flock.

Please do me a favor, if you're going to argue semantics ...

I'm not arguing, you are.

I just asked for a definition so we're all on the same page.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Your previous response served no purpose other than to argue that my description of pulling in full flight was incorrect according to your opinion of full flight ...

IMO flairing and bleeding off most of your horizontal speed doesn't count as "full flight", any more than flying a canopy in brakes counts as "full flight".

... and now you're playing the it's not me, it's you game. Childish. :S
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I am curious what people consider full flight. I feel like you can be in full flight without being in max glide. I can fly around, all wings open, legs out, arms down but just flying in a level or slightly head high position and I would still consider that full flight and pull from that flight mode no problem. I wouldn't want to do it head low with tons of forward drive going on though.
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.

I am curious what people consider full flight. I feel like you can be in full flight without being in max glide. I can fly around, all wings open, legs out, arms down but just flying in a level or slightly head high position and I would still consider that full flight and pull from that flight mode no problem. I wouldn't want to do it head low with tons of forward drive going on though.

From the title of this post, one clear definition of full flight would be "wings not collapsed" (since it is the alternative given "____ vs collapsing wings"). When I sink out my deployments, I collapse my wings which is quite different from sweeping them back. By collapse, I mean this:
Arms: folded/crossed in front of body (think coffin pose)
Legs: knee bones and ankles touching (some suits make this challenging)

During a skydive I will never assume that exact position except maybe on exit, so it cannot be called full flight IMO. When diving fast I will collapse the arm wings but not the leg. The only time I collapse both is exit or deployment.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I think you got the semantics right The111, at least what I was meaning!

thanks for the enlightening conversation. i believe I will keep pulling in "full flight" or at least during a flare (which appears semantically to mean the same I guess?!).

I hope to get more 2 ways (at least!) going with people to learn more....last 4 times I've been at the DZ nobody has been wingsuiting ahhhh, solos are fun but i love 2 ways.

Rather like we fly in a flock.

In quite a few cases thats actually arms swooped back, body arched and legs up:P;)

Me in white:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/481896_3324439762335_794695543_n.jpg

B|
I guess that's what I get for being 115lbs and flocking in an X :D

I don't consider that full flight. Though I use the term "full flight" loosely like some others do.

Is that the typical American full flight? ;)

I am curious what people consider full flight.

Me too, which is why I brought up the topic. Maybe you will avoid getting slammed for it.

Without an agreed upon definition we get nowhere.

Your previous response served no purpose other than to argue that my description of pulling in full flight was incorrect according to your opinion of full flight ...

IMO flairing and bleeding off most of your horizontal speed doesn't count as "full flight", any more than flying a canopy in brakes counts as "full flight".

How about we just agree among ourselves on what is meant without your getting all pissy about it?