Skwrl

Wingsuit Fatalities - How Many / Who

Can you guys help me answer a question that was put to me:

How many people have died while wingsuit skydiving in the US in the past five years?

I'm aware of Dan Kulpa and Steve Harrington (both in 2009). I'm fairly certain that there was at least one other, but I don't recall that guy's name or any details. Who was he? Are there others?

For this purpose, I'm not counting wingsuit BASE or people from more than five years ago.

Thanks.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

How many people have died while wingsuit skydiving in the US in the past five years?

I'm aware of Dan Kulpa and Steve Harrington (both in 2009). I'm fairly certain that there was at least one other, but I don't recall that guy's name or any details. Who was he? Are there others?

For this purpose, I'm not counting wingsuit BASE or people from more than five years ago.

Thanks.

There was a fatality in Moab in around 2007. A guy with around 120 jumps flew his wingsuit into the ground with no obvious pull. I don't think he had an AAD.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2965379;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Edited to add link.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Thanks.

There was a fatality in Moab in around 2007. A guy with around 120 jumps flew his wingsuit into the ground with no obvious pull. I don't think he had an AAD.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2965379;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Edited to add link.

Thanks, Simon - that was the guy I was thinking of whose name I couldn't remember. Is anyone aware of anybody else?

Yes, apologies, I was looking for US only.

While obviously those fatalities are all hugely regrettable - they were all our friends and their mailing addresses and the passports they carried don't matter a damn bit to any of us. But the question that was put to me was "from the US" only.

And I share the sentiment about the thread being horribly depressing. I wanted my answer to be as correct and complete as it could be, though.

Thanks to all for your replies. Stay safe and have fun.

Thanks.

What is your reason for collecting this information? I am assuming it goes beyond curiosity and is statistical in nature? The USPA and the fatality data base will also be places you will want to research.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

My reason was exactly what I said it was - I wanted to answer the question "how many people flying a wingsuit have died in the last five years in the US?".

The reason I asked is because I know my memory is faulty and I'm not 100% perfect. (I know, you guys are all shocked.)

I remembered the identity and circumstances of two (Steve Harrington and Dan Kulpa) off the top of my head. A third (Race Price), I couldn't remember his name or exactly what had happened, but I remembered it had happened "out west" with a relatively inexperienced guy. I was on the jump with - and filmed - Pete Luter at F&D 7.0 (so I was embarrassed not to remember it, since Simon was on the same jump). I knew Kerry Lou Kirch from that same Flock & Dock, so it was particularly sad in light of what happened...

-Jeff

A couple of these were people wearing Wingsuits but the Wingsuit not being the primary cause. I guess it is like someone going in with camera wings on and then wondering if it was related or not. Does that come into your study?
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com