LiborJanicek

Training for wingsuit

Last Sunday pumped out 4 coach jumps up at Parachute Center with Ed from West Coast Wingsuits.

Here's 3 out of 4 jumps

https://vimeo.com/44676505

Super pumped on the training with Ed and looking forward to strapping on the real thing except I have 68 more jumps to go. Got a tracking suit coming my way from Intrudair which is going to be a blast to fly.

I felt like body position was totally different to what I've been taught. It's kinda like going switch on a board.

All in all Fired Up

Niiice, I like! and you did a great job!
One observation thou. Probably Ed told you and you already know this, but in the video you are doing different.
When you go to close the leg wing, think about getting your knees together and not just clicking your heels. That way you make sure the wing is completely collapsed. That goes for the exit, wave-off, the actual pull, and all the time thru deployment till the slider is down. :)

HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Thanks for the tips. I guess it's not to bad since I just got current after leaving the sport in Sept. 1999 with 115 jumps. Since April I've been able to get 17 more jumps and up to 132. Flying a wingsuit is what got me back into the sport and doing what ever I can to make it happen.

congrats on "taking your time" and not rushing things.

but why not take full advantage of the "time and jumps" you have before getting there by develloping your "allround" skydiving ?

unblind yourself, and try not to become a 1 trick monkey :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

in reply to"but why not take full advantage of the "time and jumps" you have before getting there by develloping your "allround" skydiving ?

unblind yourself, and try not to become a 1 trick monkey "

:)
I tend to agree with you piifish, but a lot of newbie WS ers just don't want to put in the time to learn flatty skills , they just want to wingsuit and that is understandable.

My concern is that basic skills such as orientation, navigation, approach ( dive, flare, slot dock) are not learnt before these guys are putting on their wingsuits.

If these skills are practiced on tracking jumps , with progression to tracking pants before wingsuiting proper, then at least these one trick ponies ;) will have the smarts to be decent wingsuiters .

Most new wingsuiters I meet, see flat flying as a waste of time and money. They just want to wingsuit. By training themselves up in their 200 jumps specifically to improve translatable skills, then our whole community benefits.

If they spend all their time and money learning skils they dont' want or need then we all miss out as they get cheesed off before they become wingsuiters.

That said, having a broad skill level will generally make a skydiver a much better more rounded wingsuiter.

In response to Trae’s post on 8 Jul, You hit the nail on the head with your comments and what I am trying to figure out (what exactly to do?).

I started skydiving because I want to fly a wingsuit someday. My interest was peaked when I saw the movie, The Gypsy Moths, back in the late 70s. So, I have been waiting a while to get started.

I am working toward my B license and I am doing mostly RW jumps, trying to learn not to totally suck at RW. I want to be better and learn to be a good skydiver but there is no specific excitement in RW belly flying that I have found, yet. I am trying to keep an open mind.

I break it up and (for the entertainment value) about every 4th jump I will exit on my back and try to stay stable on my back, like a sitting position on your back. That often ends in a spinning contest, which is sort of entertaining.

I have been trying to get involved with people that can lead and coach me on tracking dives but at our small DZ the only person that might do that is busy working as an instructor or videographer most of the time. I visit a larger DZ from time to time and I hope to do some tracking dives there but that is also a good place to work on the RW jumps. So far RW has won out.

I don’t want to run out and rack up 200 jumps as fast as I can, learn next to nothing, and then say, “Bring on the wingsuit”. I want to be well rounded but also I want to start trying to learn the “translatable skills” related to flying a wingsuit.

So, here I am on this thread still scratching my head as to what to do and when to do it. Until I get over 100 jumps I plan to just stay on the same track that I am today, working on RW and trying to learn a few additions things as I go. But after that, what then? I would like to know the “what then” answers in order to best map out a plan. I like to know where I am going and why.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

So, here I am on this thread still scratching my head as to what to do and when to do it. Until I get over 100 jumps I plan to just stay on the same track that I am today, working on RW and trying to learn a few additions things as I go. But after that, what then? I would like to know the “what then” answers in order to best map out a plan. I like to know where I am going and why.

I went down the same path, got into RW to learn to fly my body AND to fly relative to others (this helps allot for wingsuiting too) I went to 4way camps and even a couple bigway camps and learned as much as I could and when the time was right I spoke with a wingsuit coach and sat in on some ground courses he was giving others and would hang around for the debrief and listened to any questions the students were asking. I did that a few times and he also gave me stuff to work on, like exiting and pulling as if I had a wingsuit on so when ever I went out for a hop and pop I pretended to have wings on. By the time I did my first flight course I was actually comfortable doing it and now after my first wingsuit bigway camp I realize how much it helped to learn RW skills (like diving to a formation and flying your slot)

I agree with you piisfish on that valuable skills are to be learned in belly flying. I try and very the types of jumps I do when ever possible. But I love the forward movement of tracking and with a wingsuit it'll just get better. I kinda feel that arching during belly flying hinders me when I'm tracking or training for wingsuit. I really need to de-arch, lock up the arms/legs and pump it out there. I've jump my Intrudair tracking suit 3 times now and I love it. Still getting the feel of it and haven't jumped it with the booties.

Another thing I've been doing is altering my gym work outs to strengthen up my core and upper body for better performance during flights.

So here's a video of my adventures a couple weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPE2Xtbace0&feature=plcp

Maybe I am becoming a 1 trick monkey. But the way I see it is if I can increase my flight time in a wingsuit, why would I ever want to go back to belly flying. The future looks bright for for performance wingsuit flying and I want to experience it.