LouYoung

Hornets still sold?

Can Hornets be purchased new still or were they discontinued when PISA moved sport parachutes over to Aerodyne?

And while we're on the subject, I read the reviews and a lot of Hornet owners really like their canopies. Of course, it's hard to find someone give a bad review on a canopy they've spent their hard earned money on.

Anyone care to comment on how they really compare to a Sabre2? Or a Safire2?

What about the "special" South African ZP material?

I noticed the other day that Rigs & Things has Hornets listed on their 'Clearance Items' page. It might be worth dropping Roy an email to see whether they're still available.

Edited to add: if you actually follow the link it says "Only one 150 Hornet left!!!".

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

The Hornet was replaced by the Pilot when PISA was bought by Aerodyne. There are probably very few new Hornets left out there.

The Hornets were made with Gelvenor (I think that's what it was called). It is really easy to pack...not nearly as slippery as the other stuff.

I have not flown a Sabre 2 or a Safire, but I think if you do a search in this forum there are quite a few posts that compare them.

This isn't from personal experience at all. I purchased a new Sabre2 (the only canopy ive owned) and love it. I had the opportunity to buy a Hornet with the purchase of my rig. I turned it down because I was told South Africa ZP wears faster and easier than other ZP. However, I also heard that South African ZP has a smaller pack volume. I guess since it's a lighter material so that would make sense. Not sure if there is any truth to that.

.-.

Hey Hazz,

It's a common misconception that the SA fabric wears faster. It lasts just as long as the US equiv, it just feels like it wears faster because it's so easy to pack.

Stay safe and warm...they're talking snow on sat - dammit!

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Actually, I' ve seen both fabrics... Gelvanor (south African) and Performance Textiles Soar Coat (American) still going strong with over 3000 jumps each.

With respect to pack volume. The Soar coat packs considerably smaller... Nitro 120 (Gelvanor) 394 cu. in. vs. Nitron 120 (Perf-tex) 349 cu.in.

Chris

(The talk of premature wear on Gelvanor was started by a manufacturer that was using American fabric competing againts the S.A. built canopies. Not true from my experience... also a competitor of S.A. built canopies.)

I had a Hornet for a while, and it's actually now owned by another dz.commer.. I have jumped 5 or 6 different Hornets, at wingloadings from 1.1:1 to 1.8:1. IMO, they fly damn near exactly the same as the Sabre2, and better than the Safire. Openings on all the ones that I jumped were great, and pack volume is definitely smaller on the Hornet as opposed to a similar sized Sabre2 or Safire. Check out these threads..

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=42912;search_string=Hornet%20Sabre2;#42912

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=49520;search_string=Hornet%20Sabre2;#49520

I'm sure there are others, but those were the ones I found quickly when I searched.

You may want to check with SkyKat to see if they have any Hornets. They, along with Rigs&Things, were big dealers for the PISA line of mains.

Mike

My DZ loves "South African ZP" because it's not as slippery. I love it because I learned to pack on it and it's all I've flown - so it must fly great ;). I never heard that it wore faster. In fact, I heard it was just as good, but more user-friendly.

I've had, uh, one jump on a Hornet 190. Flew like a Triathlon 190 on well-greased bearings.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I've jumped all 3. The Hornet was overall the best performer, with the Saphire placing last on my list.

I'm sad to see mfg. of this canopy stopped.
I have heard Aerodynes replacements are are an upgrade though.

Call Rigs&Things and see if Roy can find you one.

total BS that Gelvanor wears faster.

I don't think Aerodyne ever came out with a formal statement as to why they are switching ZP fabric. Does anyone have a link on this?

This was also discussed on another thread. Without Aeordyne making a formal statement, I have to lean towards assuming that they themselves feel it's better, cheaper or easier to acquire.

I'm kind of disappointed with the move - easier packing is one of the main reasons I recommend Tris to students.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I noticed RWS still has hornet listed on their price list. They don't got Aerodyne listed, so it might just not been updated.

I heard Aerodyne dropped using gelvanor because of some enviromental production issues and US regulations.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

i have a 100 jumps on my Hornet 190 loaded at pretty much 1:1 and it's wonderful, cannot fault it. Packs much easier due to what others have said about the zp not being as slippery. Nice responsive canopy, wonderful natural feel to the flare and from what i can tell, made very well. Picked it up for all of $500 too, which helped ;)

If you can get your hands on one at a reasonable price, i wouldn't hesitate.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Hornets seem to be getting a little scarce even in South Africa.
However, I did recently notice a Hornet 170 (30 jumps) in a complete rig advertised for sale on a South African retailers website here. It's the 5th item on the list.
I do not know if the canopy can be purchased separately.

PS. Moderators feel free to nuke this post if it constitutes advertising. :P

Below is the reply I got from Aerodyne's sales director Arnold Collenteur, when I voiced my disagreement with their decision to change the fabric.
I love 7 cell canopies, and with the Gelvenor fabric my choice has so far been Tri's and Diablos. Without the Gelvenor fabric I don't see any reason why I should not consider one of the many other 7 cells on the market. I think Aerodyne has made a big mistake!

- Jacques

Arnold Collenteur - "Your opinion about the choice of zero-porosity fabric is highly appreciated, but I like to explain that there were many factors involved in our decision to adopt a different type of fabric. This has to do with quality assurance, available colours and longevity. We are confident that we made the best choice for our customers, making sure that we build canopies for them that will perform and last."

Hi Chris,

Would Precision then consider to offer its canopies with the Gelvenor fabric as an option?

- Jacques

Actually, I've seen both fabrics... Gelvanor (south African) and Performance Textiles Soar Coat (American) still going strong with over 3000 jumps each.

With respect to pack volume. The Soar coat packs considerably smaller... Nitro 120 (Gelvanor) 394 cu. in. vs. Nitron 120 (Perf-tex) 349 cu.in.

Chris

(The talk of premature wear on Gelvanor was started by a manufacturer that was using American fabric competing againts the S.A. built canopies. Not true from my experience... also a competitor of S.A. built canopies.)

I've had, uh, one jump on a Hornet 190. Flew like a Triathlon 190 on well-greased bearings.

Just to follow up my own post, I bought a new Hornet 190 with my first rig. Very nice ride. Opens so smooth it scared me on the first jump. Almost no trouble packing it even at 0 jumps!

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.