hjumper33

Squirrel Suits

Grippers (as they call them) aren't anything new to wingsuits. (I have them in my old Tonysuit S-bird and X-bird.) The difference here is that they're carbon fiber rods and not thin wooden dowels.

I think even they are saying that they don't do anything different except shave a few grams off of total weight. Personally, I'm torn on the issue. I've busted gripper dowels, and easily replaced them. If I shattered a carbon fiber gripper tube, I'd probably replace it with a wooden one.

I think your missing the point here, they are not talking about a dozen of centimeters grip, this are old news, we all know.

Glider designers know that the essential way to gain more Glide Ratio and less Sink Rate is to increase the Aspect Ratio, but as we have short arms the next best option seems to be longer carbon fiber rods, the guys from Squirrel are trying and test it to extend the wingspan a little bit, or as you may prefer to call it "long grippers".
Lauren Martins - www.youtube.com/user/gisellemartins20

Awwwwwww please done ruin this thread. And if you want to reply and have any real point to make, please dont copy the previous 11 replies, just respond. If you look at the grippers on many recent suits, they are up to 25+ cm long, this has been happening for years. To my knowledge, they have no plans to make meter long grippers or anything like that.

From what I understand though, if we do add longer grippers, we can just dive and then gain altitude so be able to fly forever without any thermals!

Guess what, they're doing what I said to do years ago ... they're adding wings between the arms and legs. I told you so. I told everyone so. Wait, what? They were already doing that. No. It's different, this is different. Trust me, I'm a genius. Sure I've never done it but I've read and watched stuff on the subject. They're definitely doing something new, something I said to do years ago.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

No you didn't miss read it, maybe you can't understand it but the carbon fiber rods or "Grippers" as you wish to call it does expand the wing area and wingspan of the suit.

Like I said, you must be looking at a different suit. Care to share?

Otherwise I'm not exactly sure how you see the change from a wooden dowl/plastic rod to a carbon fibre tube as such a seismic development
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Glider designers know that the essential way to gain more Glide Ratio and less Sink Rate is to increase the Aspect Ratio, but as we have short arms the next best option seems to be longer carbon fiber rods, the guys from Squirrel are trying and test it to extend the wingspan a little bit, or as you may prefer to call it "long grippers".

But Giselle, I'm confused:o

6 months ago you said that extended arm frames have been significantly increasing the aspect ratio of wingsuits for the past few years.

Now you are saying that Squirrel suits and Luc Armant are bringing revolutionary new ideas to the wingsuit industry and will start the practice of using rigid grippers to extend aspect ratio. Which claim would you like to stick by?

(Hint: whichever one you choose, you'll still be wrong;))

But Giselle, I'm confused:o

You are always confused, you have issues lol

6 months ago you said that extended arm frames have been significantly increasing the aspect ratio of wingsuits for the past few years.

Yes I did, not much but significantly yes. Now do you even know what Aspect Ratio is?

Now you are saying that Squirrel suits and Luc Armant are bringing revolutionary new ideas to the wingsuit industry and will start the practice of using rigid grippers to extend aspect ratio. Which claim would you like to stick by?
(Hint: whichever one you choose, you'll still be wrong;))

You must also have reading issue, I didn't said they are bringing revolutionary new ideas, I dont even know if Luc is serious engaged on this, what i said is if he get into it, he is mostly like to create ideas about extended arms to increase wingspan and A.R. I heard they are testing something in this path.

Now let me go out, on heels and dress, discussing this matter with you is a no go Jake. :D

Yes I did, not much but significantly yes.

So everyone's been stealing your ideas! In spite of the fact that wingtip grippers have been around for much longer than you've been posting. Cunning buggers, these wingsuit designers.

Now do you even know what Aspect Ratio is?

Of course: but here is a test to see if you do.

The biggest wing tip grippers on any suit today probably belong to the Apache Rebel - does that suit have a greater or smaller aspect ratio than a gripperless Birdman Classic?

Yes I did, not much but significantly yes.

So everyone's been stealing your ideas! In spite of the fact that wingtip grippers have been around for much longer than you've been posting. Cunning buggers, these wingsuit designers.

Now do you even know what Aspect Ratio is?

Of course: but here is a test to see if you do.

The biggest wing tip grippers on any suit today probably belong to the Apache Rebel - does that suit have a greater or smaller aspect ratio than a gripperless Birdman Classic?

Jake your such a t***, You love saying things others never said.

Firstly to calculate the AR its needed the wingspan and the wingarea of the wing, as fair as I know there is no data of the Rebel or the Classic available.

But playing your unknowable guessing game, the classic may have higher AR due its short chord. The Rebel has bigger wingspan but due its fat chord its AR may be lower. no real data for real facts here.

Lastly I never said anyone is stealing my ideas, as a self taught designer and pilot when I saw a wingsuit many years ago I already had an idea of how the development would take place, if anyone else thought today same as I did years ago and start working it, its not stealing. The guys from Squirrel are trying to work with longer carbon fiber rods, not tiny little wood wingtip grippers like we have today. Get your facts right stop being a little twat saying things others never said.

. The guys from Squirrel are trying to work with longer carbon fiber rods, not tiny little wood wingtip grippers like we have today.

You mean as large as than the ones in the attached picture, as just one example of one of the "tiny little wood" grippers that are currently on the market now? (And there are larger ones currently out there, such as the Tonysuits "Pimple", but I don't have a picture available. By the way, a question to Tony, what the Hell were you smoking when you came up with that name, and can I have some?)

If that's what you mean, then yes, you're right. That's never been done before. Revo-fucking-lutionary. :P

Get your facts right.

Man, irony can be pretty ironic... Particularly since one of the jumpers "in the know" with respect to these suits posted above that the grippers aren't expected to be materially larger than those currently on the market...

But let's get back to the topic at hand, here or on the other thread. I, for one, welcome new wingsuit manufacturers, and I'm looking forward to checking out one of these suits, if only because the name is just perfect.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

But let's get back to the topic at hand, here or on the other thread. I, for one, welcome new wingsuit manufacturers, and I'm looking forward to checking out one of these suits, if only because the name is just perfect.

Apart from the spelling

Guess what, they're doing what I said to do years ago ... they're adding wings between the arms and legs. I told you so. I told everyone so. Wait, what? They were already doing that. No. It's different, this is different. Trust me, I'm a genius. Sure I've never done it but I've read and watched stuff on the subject. They're definitely doing something new, something I said to do years ago.

:D:D

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You mean as large as than the ones in the attached picture, as just one example of one of the "tiny little wood" grippers that are currently on the market now? (And there are larger ones currently out there, such as the Tonysuits "Pimple", but I don't have a picture available. By the way, a question to Tony, what the Hell were you smoking when you came up with that name, and can I have some?)

If that's what you mean, then yes, you're right. That's never been done before. Revo-fucking-lutionary. :P

The problem is when the jumper is standing with the wing open the grippers from tony are pointed downwards in a vertical direction, the grippers should be more in a horizontal direction, that would give more wing area and less vortex. something similar to the vampire4.

why tony still using totally square wingtips over more pointed ones is beyond my understanding. Pointed tips generate far less vortex gaining in performance and maneuverability.

Yes I agree with you, Pimple? maybe Tony wasn't inspired..lol

Post a pic of the pimple when possible :)

The problem is when the jumper is standing with the wing open the grippers from tony are pointed downwards in a vertical direction, the grippers should be more in a horizontal direction, that would give more wing area and less vortex. something similar to the vampire4.

why tony still using totally square wingtips over more pointed ones is beyond my understanding. Pointed tips generate far less vortex gaining in performance and maneuverability.

Yes I agree with you, Pimple? maybe Tony wasn't inspired..lol

Must be why Tonysuits do so poorly in performance competitions.:|

NOT.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Firstly to calculate the AR its needed the wingspan and the wingarea of the wing, as fair as I know there is no data of the Rebel or the Classic available.

But playing your unknowable guessing game, the classic may have higher AR due its short chord. The Rebel has bigger wingspan but due its fat chord its AR may be lower. no real data for real facts here.

Well done.

Problem is though, how do you then justify your adamant claim that wingsuits have been increasing in aspect ratio over the last few years if you're now saying that the aspect ratio of a wingsuit is a) 'unknowable' and b) lower now than 10 years ago?

Lastly I never said anyone is stealing my ideas,

"Seems Like Luc Armant copied my idea..."

The guys from Squirrel are trying to work with longer carbon fiber rods, not tiny little wood wingtip grippers like we have today.

It seems to be a recurring theme that you have no concept of scale.

The grippers on that Colugo are no longer than those on top line Tony or PF suits that are already on the market.

The problem is when the jumper is standing with the wing open the grippers from tony are pointed downwards in a vertical direction,

Which is different to the way Squirrel suits are doing it... in absolutely no way whatsever.

So that's nice.

Must be why Tonysuits do so poorly in performance competitions.:|

NOT.

Tony and Jeff make the largest and most streamlined wingsuits today imo, Tony is a great guy, open minded and creative. As I said, if there is something that can be improved on his suits is that massively square wingtips with grippers pointing downwards. Why he does it that way I don't understand.

Well done.

Problem is though, how do you then justify your adamant claim that wingsuits have been increasing in aspect ratio over the last few years if you're now saying that the aspect ratio of a wingsuit is a) 'unknowable' and b) lower now than 10 years ago?

I'm flattered of the "well done" coming from you Jake ;)

I should have made it simpler and clear for you to understand, the AR of suits haven't increased much in the past 10 years but the wing and tail area has. get it now? :)

Lastly I never said anyone is stealing my ideas,

"Seems Like Luc Armant copied my idea..."

I think saying copied with a joke and wink as it is in the original message is very different from accusing someone of stealing like you said.

The grippers on that Colugo are no longer than those on top line Tony or PF suits that are already on the market.

If you say so then maybe there is not much innovation with Squirrel at this moment, beside the carbon fiber grippers.

I should have made it simpler and clear for you to understand, the AR of suits haven't increased much in the past 10 years but the wing and tail area has. get it now? :)

So everytime you have claimed that wingsuit aspect ratios are increasing, what you actually meant was that wingsuit surface areas are increasing?

Why would you do that?

Today

I should have made it simpler and clear for you to understand, the AR of suits haven't increased much in the past 10 years but the wing and tail area has. get it now?

Now, let's fire up the time machine...

2012/01/22

the Aspect Ratio of wingsuits has increased a lot in the past few years

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Speaking of time machine...

Something stuff from the 1930's - pic 1 pic 2 pic 3 pic 4
Grabbed from a dz.com thread start of 2005 - pic 1 pic 2
Prototype from 2009 - pic 1 pic 2

All seem to slightly pre-date Giselle's 'invention' of grippers pointing out, and must (by actual FLYING) have figured out that it has something to do with lack of chest muscles and weak wrists and heavier build than birds, preventing us from actually keeping a wing like that tight and flying.

Flying a wingsuit is not about hanging stationary on a thermal. Its about something completely different, and unless one actually tries. One will never find out.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Speaking of time machine...

Something stuff from the 1930's - pic 1 pic 2 pic 3 pic 4
Grabbed from a dz.com thread start of 2005 - pic 1 pic 2
Prototype from 2009 - pic 1 pic 2

All seem to slightly pre-date Giselle's 'invention' of grippers pointing out, and must (by actual FLYING) have figured out that it has something to do with lack of chest muscles and weak wrists and heavier build than birds, preventing us from actually keeping a wing like that tight and flying.

Flying a wingsuit is not about hanging stationary on a thermal. Its about something completely different, and unless one actually tries. One will never find out.

Hi mccordia,

As i replied to you in private message, besides being a designer, a paraglider and hangglider pilot I'm also a Biologist graduated at UNIPAM - University of Patos de Minas - Brazil and my specialization is birds of prey.

I know humans have smaller chest muscles, I know birds have hollow bones, I know we are too heavy to hold our weight flying, I know what Da Vinci tried, I know adding wing span also adds drag.

The fact is, its not because of all limitations above that things are unreachable or because someone tried in the past and failed someone else can not succeed in the future.

Maybe you dont know but when add wingspan you also add lift not only drag, performance is gained in the compromise between the two, so increase the wingspan is vital for wingsuits to have better sink and glide, otherwise an albatross wouldn't be the highest performing bird on earth even tho it has huge wingspan, drag and lift all together.

Lastly with the advances in wingsuit ram air pressurization its being possible to fly extreme large suits with less effort, could this be the key for bigger wingspan suits in the future? Maybe or maybe other development with carbon rods reinforced on the back? I don't know how it will happen, I just know it will happen at some point.

How do I know it will happen? because of human geniusity and because its achievable.

Cheers
Lauren

I was more curious to your claims of inventing things that are already shown in pictures of the 1930'sB|:D

I didn't claim that I Invented anything yet, I suggested ideas of what I think the future suits development would look like.

When developments get further, things may look similar to da vinci and others in the past, just with different modern light materials, but essentially there will be 2 wings like 1930's.