hjumper33

Squirrel Suits

[/url]http://www.squirrel.ws/[url]

So it looks like a couple of the more well known BASE wingsuit pilots around are starting a new wingsuit company. Im going to be very interested to see what comes out of this company as I know and highly respect the guys involved.

Because if you know the people involved, its going to be good, and lots of people in the wingsuit community are going to buzz over it, including me.

Being an athlete and being a manufacturer are two very different things. The one advantage of the athlete is he knows what he needs.

In some cases they happen to align successfully. See Robi Pecnik. This is not necessarily the norm though, or a guarantee as you seem to imply. The leading parachute manufacturer is not managed by the leading parachute pilots... though it does employ them as athletes.

I'm interested to see what comes out of it though, and I wish the best. Sidenote: the words "aerodynamic research" have a very specific and substantial meaning. I hope those words aren't just intended to generate buzz. ;)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Being an athlete and being a manufacturer are two very different things. The one advantage of the athlete is he knows what he needs.
I'm interested to see what comes out of it though, and I wish the best. Sidenote: the words "aerodynamic research" have a very specific and substantial meaning. I hope those words aren't just intended to generate buzz. ;)

www.squirrel.ws/
do a quick search about the 3rd guy, Luc Armant ;)

From Matt's FAcebook, the targeted market would be more for BASEjumpers, and that they are not planning on trying to rule the World.

Wish them all the best, hope they bring us great new ideas :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

It seems they put a lot of thought into their suits, really nice. I am a little bit torn about the Mylar though. Love that Luc's supporting them.
Doesn't Robi also have a background in aerospace engineering?

Where is the mylar in the suits? If it's supporting the ribs then I can tell you with 100% certainty that it's going to be problematic. Both BirdMan and PF played with mylar and there was simply no way you could keep it straight and not crack all to hell. Many, MANY of us had to deal with this problem back in the day.

Chuck

I think the mylar fabric in the flexible woven part you see just above the vents, not the stiffeners that we still see in the v series suits that do seem to cause issues from time to time.

Chuck- still have to deal with it with the V4 and putting it away very very very carefully not to bend or break it

As a natural sceptic (ok, miserable bastard) I didn't think I was going to be particularly interested in this. Now, I'm actually quite excited.

3 good people at the top, website refreshingly light on outrageous performance claims and heavy on design detail and manufacturing by a company as experienced as Ozone. Looking forward to seeing one in action:)

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I think the mylar fabric in the flexible woven part you see just above the vents, not the stiffeners that we still see in the v series suits that do seem to cause issues from time to time.

Chuck- still have to deal with it with the V4 and putting it away very very very carefully not to bend or break it

I hear you, brother. As for the "leading edge reinforcement": that's like an old BM Blade then. That shit didn't work at all. Same problems with not maintaining it's form after you packed it up in it's bag. I prefer the foam stiffener that Tony uses to maintain a strong leading edge. Still, these new Squirrel suits DO look fantastic.

Chuck

... I prefer the foam stiffener that Tony uses to maintain a strong leading edge. Still, these new Squirrel suits DO look fantastic.

Chuck

Have you had experience with the poured/molded foam Robi has put in the leading edge of the newer suits? Doesn't break down like the foam that both Robi and Tony have used in the past. So far, the only drawback to it that I've found is that it is warmer on the skin in the summer months, but appreciable in the cooler months. Has a different feel in-flight, too.

I have paid for and personally own ten PF suits which are currently hanging on my rack at my school in TX. While it's great the have other "more advanced" suits for your own use, I'm cool with the "older" PF suits that I have for student/ intermediate use. Never mind the three GS-1s, the two S-Fly suits I still have, or the three Tony suits I have. Oddly, I still even have a Nitro Rigging Flockus. Ultimately, I'm not aligned AT ALL with any one particular manufacturer. That's the benefit for being an independent Instructor, Trainer, and Salesman for everyone who chooses to support your school.

Chuck
PFC/E, BMCI, AFFI, TMI, SLI, PRO, S&TA, D-12501

Seems Like Luc Armant copied my idea from 5 years ago of expanding the wingspan of the suits with carbon fiber rods ;)

I knew when glider designers start working with wingsuits the the first thing they would do is to introduce carbon fiber rods to expand the wingspan, Luc Armant is a glider designer and expert in fluid dynamics, this is the first time I heard a glider designer get involved with wingsuits, Tonysuits better get prepared because if Luc really get involved in the project tony will have some serious wingsuits to compete with and we will be soaring on wingsuits soon:P

Just in case... ozone has the factory, the money, Luc is an expert and the wingsuit market is exploding..

Oh now I wish I had the money to start working on my crazy carbon fiber wing expandable wingsuit project from 5 years ago, oh well too late.... go for it Luc :)

Lauren G Martins

Lauren Martins - www.youtube.com/user/gisellemartins20

expanding the wingspan of the suits with carbon fiber rods ;)

Huh? The one I'm looking at on their website has carbon fiber grippers (as opposed to, for example, the wooden grippers that have been used in Tonysuits').

Are they offering a suit that uses carbon fiber rods to expand the span of the wing as well, or did you just mis-read their page?
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Huh? The one I'm looking at on their website has carbon fiber grippers (as opposed to, for example, the wooden grippers that have been used in Tonysuits').

Are they offering a suit that uses carbon fiber rods to expand the span of the wing as well, or did you just mis-read their page?

No you didn't miss read it, maybe you can't understand it but the carbon fiber rods or "Grippers" as you wish to call it does expand the wing area and wingspan of the suit.

From what I heard they are trying different protos, with longer carbon rods extended wings to rigid suits.

Good luck for the team.

Lauren
Lauren Martins - www.youtube.com/user/gisellemartins20

No you didn't miss read it, maybe you can't understand it but the carbon fiber rods or "Grippers" as you wish to call it does expand the wing area and wingspan of the suit.

From what I heard they are trying different protos, with longer carbon rods extended wings to rigid suits.

Good luck for the team.

Lauren

Grippers (as they call them) aren't anything new to wingsuits. (I have them in my old Tonysuit S-bird and X-bird.) The difference here is that they're carbon fiber rods and not thin wooden dowels.

I think even they are saying that they don't do anything different except shave a few grams off of total weight. Personally, I'm torn on the issue. I've busted gripper dowels, and easily replaced them. If I shattered a carbon fiber gripper tube, I'd probably replace it with a wooden one.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork