bshl

Spectre vs Triathlon

Check out the flight characteristics on the PD web site. http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Spectre-Flight-Char.pdf I have heard that it is not an elliptical canopy as was mentioned - it is slightly tapered. There is a difference. Having flown both, I have to say that the Spectre is a far nicer canopy to fly, and much easier to land. Of course I think the openings are some of the best that you can get on any canopy. The turns are flat, yet very quick. This canopy is still the choice of many cameraflyers because of the great openings, easy to land when loaded up with camera gear. I used PD's demo program. Send an email to Kolla at PD and she will get you hooked up! ;)

I have heard that it is not an elliptical canopy as was mentioned - it is slightly tapered. There is a difference.

"Slightly tapered" and "semi-elliptical" are both marketing terms and have absolutely no standardized meaning. One company's slightly tapered is another's semi-elliptical. In fact, no skydiving canopies even approach being true ellipses.

Hey there!

The best advice I can give you is to try both canopies and then go with the one you prefer.
Those two are definitely similar in many ways, but it's the subtle differences that might make the difference for you.... it's kinda like vanilla vs chocolate!

Most manufacturers send out demo canopies, and many DZ's or dealers have the Spectre available through their rental program.
To get a demo canopy from PD you can either go and fill out a form on our website (http://www.performancedesigns.com/support.asp - click on "Demo Request Form") or call us at 386 738 2224.

Best of luck finding your canopy!
Blue ones,

Kolla Kolbeinsdottir,
Performance Designs, Inc.
Blue Skies Magazine

CORRECTIONS;

"Mod 4 brake set mod (connection point locations changed to improve flair)".---Also control input forces

"tail lines lenghthened to improve flight characteristics (in front risers I believe)"...
Actually the inside control line(s) were lenthened with the model 4 brake modification.
D

Lots of good stuff has already been posted here, but I’ll give you my two cents’ worth anyway…

Years ago, when I was shopping for my initial rig and main canopy, I tried both a Spectre 150 and a Triathlon 160, and I felt very comfortable with both. The Spectre, being a shaped canopy and slightly smaller, was more maneuverable. I chose the Triathlon because its owner was asking for $400 less, and I didn’t think that the extra money I would pay for the Spectre would translate into that much better performance. Also, I had sought advice from lots of experienced folks at the DZ; one of them, a good buddy of mine who had close to 3000 jumps, was flying a Triathlon 135, and he swore by it and affectionately referred to it as “big pink.” I figured that if he was happy with the canopy after all his years, I would be too.

I put about 300 jumps on the Triathlon and was very happy with it. I now fly a Stiletto 135 and have several hundred jumps on it; I enjoy front riser swoops with the Stiletto, but I’m not an overly aggressive canopy pilot. Still, I have hung on to my Triathlon. Though the Tri and its container have been relegated to backup duty, I still enjoy flying them, especially for demos with tighter landing areas and during gusty or more turbulent conditions. Friends who have borrowed the rig to make the sunset load have all commented that they were surprised at what a nice canopy the Triathlon was.

A Triathlon may not turn quite as crisply or give you as decent a swoop / surf as a Spectre (but hey, we’re talking about seven cell canopies here, which won’t give you as good a swoop as a nine cell would), but it’s a solid performer that’s also very forgiving. For me, it has been a great initial canopy that kept me interested and entertained for hundreds of jumps.

Blue skies –

FunBobby

"Slightly tapered" and "semi-elliptical" are both marketing terms and have absolutely no standardized meaning. One company's slightly tapered is another's semi-elliptical. In fact, no skydiving canopies even approach being true ellipses.

True, but the closer a canopy is to an elipse, the more it will fly like one.

FunBobby

So do you guys have anything available for demos? I would be interesting in demoing an Icon and Triathlon, mabey a Pilot too... Plan on making decision on a new rig within the next month and so far the Aerodyne stuff has caught my eye more than any of the other stuff, just cant seem to find any to try out!

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I also wanted to demo a Triathlon, but from their site, I couldn't find that there were any demos available. If demos are available, I'd love to find out how to get one.

In the meantime, I requested a Spectre demo from PD's web site. So far, nobody has contacted me about it.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

In the meantime, I requested a Spectre demo from PD's web site. So far, nobody has contacted me about it.

That is pretty unusual for PD. Not sure how they're doing after the hurricane but I know a couple of times my email bounced back during this whole hurricane thing so they may never have gotten your request.

Try give them a call if you don't hear from them shortly.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hey!

Not sure when you submitted your request, but things have been a bit crazy the past few weeks with hurricanes :S

Odds are that your request never made it through to us. Anabel (our demo queen) is really good about getting back with people, so you might want to try to go back online and resubmit the request.
You can also get send her an e-mail at [email protected] :)
Hope that helps - good luck in finding the right canopy for you!

Blue ones,
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

Hi This is Anabel from Performance Designs

I just check to make sure I did not over look your request but I do not show where I have received one. Our Power was out for just under a week, and we just got phones service back Monday, and our internet started to come back up on Tuesday. Not sure when you sent it in, but if you could please fill out our online demo request, and resend it I will be more than happy to help you with it.

Cheers
Anabel

We do have Tri's to demo, the demos listed on our sight are demos owned by out distributors.

Send an email to Nick Bosco n.bosco AT aerodyne-int.com, he'll square you away. It is on risers, with a d-bag and pilot chute, do you just have to pop it into your rig, it is $30 for a weekend.

As for the Icon's we don't mail them out as demos, there are quite a few of our distributors who have them in their shops. Or you can catch up with us at one of our tour stops, check out the calendar on our website.

If you have any further questions about the icon, or want to just chat about it with one of us feel free to give us a ring. 813 891 6300

Take it easy-
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"