piisfish

Wingsuits and round parachutes

did anyone in the "modern" era of wingsuiting jump a round parachute as a main ?

thoughts ? Ideas ?

That is a really strange idea. I don't think there would be a round system with BOC opening system.
Is there any benefit? I can't see any.
I did 9 round jumps, I'm not planing to have more.

Haven't done any ws-jumps with a round canopy yet, but did some jumps with rounds (T-10 & MC-1C) in the Army out of a C160 a decade ago.

The landing fall was quite hard, and to imagine I would have to unzip arm-and legzippers of a wingsuit and do a parachute landing fall which probably would not be the best for the material neither...-I can't see any benefit in it.

did anyone in the "modern" era of wingsuiting jump a round parachute as a main ?

Yes, I did in 2007. There's a post out there somewhere.

Who knows, others may well have done the same.
Back at the time I did learn that at least one round/wingsuit jump was done in BASE: Skyflyer wrote in 2002 on dz.com,

Regarding the round and wingsuit, I saw Bill Stampfle (sp.) wing-it from Smellvegan in Norway last year and land in the water with a round. Good opening and great jump.

As for my jump, Jari Kuosma of BirdMan hadn't heard of any other round/wingsuit skydives with his gear so appreciated the photos.

I had a ParaCommander, bag deployed, in a large modified piggyback rig with 3-rings & BOC, and a round reserve. With that rig, you know you are coming down on a round in any case. The suit was my trusty old BirdMan GTi.

Very convenient to have a wingsuit to fly oneself to a good opening point for the round. Big long rig also made for a very easy pilot chute reach. And few worries about line twists. The opening was nice, softer than normal, probably from a slower than terminal total velocity on the flight path, and the swing from the horizontal movement was smoothly damped out by the round canopy.

Still, I only made it back to the DZ parking lot in the lower evening winds, so had to land the PC on hard packed clay & gravel, and ended tripping and falling down since I had not bothered to undo the leg wing.

I want to do a wingsuit jump with a belly mount rig some day too. I know that's been done for a BaseR fore-and-aft rig, for example by Yuribase, but not sure if anyone has used vintage gear as I'd like to do.

(Photos: Two landing photos and dull ground video captures since I'm too far to see anything other than gray dots.)

As for comments about not seeing any point in it: Fair enough, but that's what others say about jumping out of airplanes in general.;)