Para5-0

Wingsuit Instructor/Coach Rating Input Needed.

Just a friendly suggestion to all. The dialogue has been very helpful all the way around. Like I have said before it is important to get all views on the topic because it is considered a monumental move or non move.

I am just mentioning because this thread is very useful for me personally and I know other BOD members are following it as well, although from silent keyboards.

Rich

Awesome!

Just a quick question then in regards to why the questionaire was put forth here on DZ.com, which has limited participation by the whole wingsuiting community. Versus sending the questionaire out to all members of the USPA, say like in the form of an email. And is it still possible to do that?

No one can say they were not aware, or were not notified. Maybe even include links to the compelling data presented to the sub-committee. That way all individuals can participate in the questionaire and if they want by contacting their representative BOD directly.

The current method might leave some to believe things are happening behind closed doors,without their knowledge and involvement. The burden of the final vote would still fall on the entire BOD but they would have the benefit of a broader dialogue.

So you're justifying a competing solution that is virtually the same...that makes no sense at all.
You say so in your post even:

The incentive was to spread the knowledge and encourage people to seek training instead of just jumping in a suit.

Just how is adding another rating a revenue generator?
It's one single fee for all instructional ratings.
Unless the USPA is charging YOU more anyway....it's one flat fee on mine. This isn't about money.
From my perspective, it's a "my idea is better than your idea" issue. That's just silly.

The USPA IS or governing body. This is the perfect place to apply a standard basic tool to teach and learn by.

Very well put Scott. I have been jumping for many years, since 2004 only Wingsuit. Initially, I expected that we would have to see a constant flow of incidents, like collisions, scary stuff and so on. That have clearly not been the case. Instead we ended up with good safety overall, mainly due to a educational program from Bird-man quite early on, and a culture of people seeking advice and instruction from experienced instructors and flyers. In France education continues on a regular basis past the FFC, learning flocking, then more advanced flocking as you "graduate". IMO Wingsuit do not lack behind other diciplins in safety nor education (well, if you seek it and get it from the true experts) and the instructor rating we have today from Bird-man, PF, FYB (and TS?) do the job nicely for the time being I think. I am neutral if it would be advantageous right now, to have a standardized instructor/coach rating programme. It reminds me of the early tandem (TI) days. We had to travel to the US to get educated/certified on the Vector Tandem system. Then Tandem became "normal" and more common on DZ's here in my country, and so now we have our own TI examiners and instructor/rating programs for Tandem. Maybe wingsuit will eventually go this route as well, depending on how widespread the dicipline gets. I believe so.

As different as the gear is, as different as the jump is, as much of a danger a wingsuit is to the area of flight it takes, it is not absurd.

So we should shorten our Pro ratings training and certification programs. Why not??

Apples and oranges. So obvious as not to need an explanation. You are grasping at straws.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Given the tightness of the required accuracy for Pro rating vs. wingsuiting......seriously?

You may have a 10 mile radius of landing area in a wingsuit.
Significant risk compared to Pro rating.

I've yet to have an off landing on a Pro jump. How's the wingsuit record for off landings?
Might need to focus some training on the FNG's for making it back to the DZ.
I know the golf course in Sebastian is none too pleased when the emergency vehicles roll onto the greens for multiple wingies with broken ankles.....:P Multiple = two.

I don't like straws, so no, I'm not grasping.

Given the tightness of the required accuracy for Pro rating vs. wingsuiting......seriously?

You may have a 10 mile radius of landing area in a wingsuit.
Significant risk compared to Pro rating.

I've yet to have an off landing on a Pro jump. How's the wingsuit record for off landings?
Might need to focus some training on the FNG's for making it back to the DZ.
I know the golf course in Sebastian is none too pleased when the emergency vehicles roll onto the greens for multiple wingies with broken ankles.....:P Multiple = two.

Perhaps you'll lobby USPA for a "PRO rating instructor" rating, then. However, this thread is about wingsuit flying.

Good thing that is what was presented to the USPA then.
Wingsuiting stuff.
:P

Stop feeling threatened as an instructor. Plenty of people can do it and do it well.

Oh, you mean plenty of people are teaching wingsuiting and they're not even "USPA certified WSIs".....and yea, they are doing it well....:P

Hello,

Okay the BOD meeting is scheduled in approx 2 weeks or so. We are no longer accepting questionnaires. To those that have taken the time to assist us, I thank you.

At this juncture we are compiling the data and working on discussing all input received from members.

At the BOD meeting the sub-committee will make a recommendation to the Safety and Training committee. The data compiled will be presented.

As always, I am available for any comments or questions.

Thank You Again,
Rich Winstock

Hello,

Okay the BOD meeting is scheduled in approx 2 weeks or so. We are no longer accepting questionnaires. To those that have taken the time to assist us, I thank you.

At this juncture we are compiling the data and working on discussing all input received from members.

At the BOD meeting the sub-committee will make a recommendation to the Safety and Training committee. The data compiled will be presented.

As always, I am available for any comments or questions.

Thank You Again,
Rich Winstock

Any way you can record the meeting where you discuss wingsuiting and make it available to us to review???

That is a great idea, and I personally would have no problem at all with it. I heard rumblings of some other BOD members wanting to do it. At min. I can post updates as the meeting goes on. Or email me, I will try to respond.

Get back to you on this one. I would have to check our govern manual to see if it is even allowed, which I dont see why not.

That is a great idea, and I personally would have no problem at all with it. I heard rumblings of some other BOD members wanting to do it. At min. I can post updates as the meeting goes on. Or email me, I will try to respond.

Get back to you on this one. I would have to check our govern manual to see if it is even allowed, which I dont see why not.

I have filmed/posted the BOD meetings from Orlando and Phoenix; it's a lot of work but it does let the membership see/hear what's happening out there (even if it is post-event).
The governance manual doesn't say anything about it one way or another.

I believe that arrangements have been made to take video of the open session and post it to the web as has been done in the past.

Any feedback, Rich?

Here you go:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zTiEs8rT1o_xqsrMqBvaYu_p85WaAARjBOfDMhdMRRk/edit

It has been wrongfully reported that I protested the withdrawal of the wingsuit proposal.
Withdrawal was at my desire, and my effort.

Many thanks to Rich Winstock, Merriah Eakins, Sherry Butcher, Tony Thacker, and Randy Allison for doing their best to make this a transparent process.

Any feedback, Rich?

Here you go:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zTiEs8rT1o_xqsrMqBvaYu_p85WaAARjBOfDMhdMRRk/edit

It has been wrongfully reported that I protested the withdrawal of the wingsuit proposal.
Withdrawal was at my desire, and my effort.

Many thanks to Rich Winstock, Merriah Eakins, Sherry Butcher, Tony Thacker, and Randy Allison for doing their best to make this a transparent process.

Thanks.