BIRDDOCTOR

Nice Venom run by Martijn :)

No, not saying its better, which I will go ahead and say now though, but it just makes the most sense and a easy and reliable way to measure glide. Wind conditions will vary slightly, but no way as much as at 13k where you can have a 100mph wind in any direction. Youd need the same aircraft so everyone could pop up the same, the same upper wind speed which would be pretty much impossible to do. The comps are fun and its cool to look at glide, but in no way is it a real world measure. They dont let you get a flying start before they time your 100 meters at the olympics.

If "real world measure" counts, then any variation is a variation.
Winds at 100mph aloft is pretty extreme....and winds aloft at a comp are very rarely going to vary on a load. It's all relative. If everyone is jumping from the same plane at the same altitude at 7 second intervals, then the variation is as negligible as everyone leaving the same exit point with the same winds at 7 second intervals. It's all relative.

Comparing a BASE exit to a skydive, if the gates are the gates, and flying is flying into the gate...it's still equally all relative.

Here's where it gets interesting; At the Performance Cup, I received a few letters from BASE wingsuiters talking about how stupid and easy the comp would be compared to BASE jumping....yet not one of these bad-ass base jumpers showed up to compete and show their bad-ass skills compared to skydivers. Sure would be interesting to see how the skills stack up, because flying skill is flying skill, and once terminal is reached....it's reached, and skill factors are identical.
Regardless of the exit.
See you in November?:P

Within a competition at a dz on one day, it totally agree it should be fairly close. I meant more in the online world of paralog stuff. The variables seem less variable given cliff X vs. all that can go into a skydive on a given day in a given country.

Spot you should know that im a marginal wingsuit base pilot at best, and and even worse skydiver, so id never dream of trying to win one of these comps ;) But of course id love to fly with you again any time, if these damn patients would let me leave the hospital once in a while.