Prawn_Star

Ghost 3 or Phantom 3 ?

Hi guys,

I am thinking future wise here, in the not too distant future I will be looking at getting a wing suit.

I have looked around at a couple of manufacturers, I have some questions about Phoenix-fly verses some advice I have been given.

I told a mate at the DZ the Phantom 3 looks Ok because it is designed with newbies in mind, however my friend who is much more experienced than me said I might be better off buying the Ghost 3 IF I went down that path.

His reasons being, the Ghost is recommended for someone with around 80 Wing Suit jumps experience and you will generate that experience quite fast so you may aswell get an intermediate one strait up.

Is this logic Sound?

I haven't had the chance to ask one of the tutors at my home DZ yet as they haven't been around due to crappy weather.

Hi guys,

I am thinking future wise here, in the not too distant future I will be looking at getting a wing suit.

I have looked around at a couple of manufacturers, I have some questions about Phoenix-fly verses some advice I have been given.

I told a mate at the DZ the Phantom 3 looks Ok because it is designed with newbies in mind, however my friend who is much more experienced than me said I might be better off buying the Ghost 3 IF I went down that path.

His reasons being, the Ghost is recommended for someone with around 80 Wing Suit jumps experience and you will generate that experience quite fast so you may aswell get an intermediate one strait up.

Is this logic Sound?

No. You will generate the experience faster in a beginner suit than an intermediate (or advanced) suit and it will be safer for you and everyone else. Not to mention that you won't regret having a Phantom 3 even when you have have more experience ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

My logic was logical, I am a beginer so I got a suit for beginers (Phantom 2z)... Before it arrived I got to practice on a smaller suit (Firebird)! I am happy I got to practice on something smaller before getting the P2

When I will consider myself intermediate I will get an interediate suit!

In reality what is going to happen is everyone here will tell you to get a smaller suit but at the dropzone everyone will tell you to get a bigger suit... That (in my experience) is how wingsuiters are! Can't tell you how many times I asked for advice and sure enough "get a bigger suit" comes back every time.

I think you (and everyone else) should learn to fly a smaller suit like a fucking bad ass, at least thats what I am working on...

Hi guys,

Is this logic Sound?

I haven't had the chance to ask one of the tutors at my home DZ yet as they haven't been around due to crappy weather.

You friend is wrong.

Phantom3 is not a beginner suit. We don't know a thing about you, but you should not buy anything, but Shadow or Phantom3.

In reality what is going to happen is everyone here will tell you to get a smaller suit but at the dropzone everyone will tell you to get a bigger suit... That (in my experience) is how wingsuiters are! Can't tell you how many times I asked for advice and sure enough "get a bigger suit" comes back every time.

Not at my dropzone.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I watched a guy do his first 3 jumps in a GTI and then go to the brand new custom Ghost 3 his buddy had hooked him up with.... three jumps later he bought the GTI cos he had fallen out of the plane and scared the shit out of himself (think he may have gone for a spin or 3) ... food for thought

You friend is wrong. Phantom3 is not a beginner suit.

Unless you mean Ghost3 instead, your statement is incorrect.

The Phantom (1,2,3) and Shadow (1,2) have been used for flight courses conducted everywhere for quite a few years.
The suit is easy to fly, suitable for beginners, as well as a lasting suit te fly well into the 'experienced' realm. (At 1700 wingsuit jumps, its still what I fly on a daily basis).

Check the Phoenix-Fly website to see the recommendations for each suit. The Ghost 3 is advised only to more experienced wingsuit pilots due to the larger wing surface.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

You friend is wrong. Phantom3 is not a beginner suit.

Unless you mean Ghost3 instead, your statement is incorrect.

Unless you read the whole post. :P

Phantom3 is not for beginners only.

I don't believe in "THE FINAL" suit. It is bad buying a suit for the future or I would grow in............

I've just got a phantom 3 (to replace my phantom 2 which replaced my phantom) and it is an awesome suit.

First jump on the P3 and I peaked out at a 2.2 glide rate which given the fact that right now I'm about 2 stone heavier than I want to be is pretty good. That jump was also in my top ten lowest average fall rates and as it took me about a third of the flight to work out how it wanted to be flown it's just awesome to think how much more performance is in the suit.

I have a ghost 3 as well but I think I'll be putting that to one side for a little while and having a lot of fun with my P3.

You get a lot of bang for your buck with the P3.

And if you want another reason this vid is from my second jump on the Ghost 3 (at 90+ w/s jumps) Just one small mistake that I'd have got away with on the phantom and look what happens..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLqvCNkssFU
Jump more, post less.

Hey thanx for all the replys guys, everything you all have told me pretty much confirms what I thought, I will stick with getting a suit for a beginner for both my safety and the safety of everyone else. Last thing I want is to end up dead or fuck up others.

Cheers for the advice.

Phantom 3 is a great all round suit for beginners to advanced flyers. If you learn to fly a smaller wing at first you will have more success in a larger wing later. Make sure you are comfortable flying your first wing in full flight, flocking, docking, and acro( backflying, barrel rolls, front flips, ect). When it comes to wing size, it is the "Indian not the arrow". I know many wingsuit pilots that can fly with ws pilots flying the biggest wings because the skill set is in place to do so. The bigger the wing does not mean that the suit will allow you to do more. It mean that the suit will require you to fall back on a skill set that was created by flying smaller wings first. Good luck and safe flights.

Phantom 3 is a great all round suit for beginners to advanced flyers. If you learn to fly a smaller wing at first you will have more success in a larger wing later. Make sure you are comfortable flying your first wing in full flight, flocking, docking, and acro( backflying, barrel rolls, front flips, ect). When it comes to wing size, it is the "Indian not the arrow". I know many wingsuit pilots that can fly with ws pilots flying the biggest wings because the skill set is in place to do so. The bigger the wing does not mean that the suit will allow you to do more. It mean that the suit will require you to fall back on a skill set that was created by flying smaller wings first. Good luck and safe flights.

You're just sayin' that because my Phantom rocks your Ghost :)

Seriously, everything Stuu (and others) have said is what I'll echo. Learn to fly a smaller suit and the bigger suits are much, much easier. Learn on a bigger suit and you'll find you are missing out on a lot of skills that are best learned on a smaller suit.
when you see tall, somewhat heavier guys like Joel Hindman kikkin' butt in his old, worn P2 against guys in much larger Sbirds, Rbirds, Ghosts, Stealth's....it is sweet to see. When he puts on the bigger suits, it translates very well.

Butters hit the nail on the head.

Dismissing a Phantom as a "beginner" suit really makes me laugh. I've got ten suits and I can promise you that my Phantom 2 is hooked to my wingsuit rig 95 percent of the time. BTW: I've got ~2700 wingsuit jumps. I've got much bigger suits for flying farther or going faster, but the GREAT majority of the wingsuit flocks or instructional jumps I do NEVER require me to jump a suit larger than my P2. Sloppy flyers in big-ass suits have a much harder time mastering the basics of wingsuiting and definitely have a hard time learning aerobatics and efficient backflying.

Chuck

I agree. The Phantom (2,3) is probably the best wingsuit on the market. When I had a hundred or so wingsuit jumps, I wanted something bigger. I never did, and with hundreds more jumps on my phantom I don't want anything else. Been flying a vampire a lot lately and I still like my phantom more ...
Brian