adamtheturtle

I'm making a Wing suit video game, tips?

Hi, I'm part of a team making a Wing suit racing video game. We have watched a lot of videos to see what gliding in a wing suit is like, but we would really like to hear what tips you have about the experience we are trying to capture but have never experienced.

Our main concerns have been to make it feel like you are going very fast, and proximate enough to the ground or mountains that it is scary. If you were making a wing suit video game, what would you focus on?

With all due respect, there's quite a few games already doing the same thing on a number of different platforms.

What will yours offer that will be different?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

If you want it to be realistic, you need:

- a forum in which participants will be required to bitch and trash talk, as well as create new records with shifting (and bitched about) rules;

- a rule that says if you haven't played the demo version at least 200 times, you get sent back to the beginning of the game and bitched at by everyone in the forum.

- a feature if you play the game for the first time without an experienced player telling you what to do, you automatically die. Unless you don't.

- factions - you need groups of people who have pathological hatred toward some of their fellow players, mostly driven by ego and petty differences. (Think of clans in some other multiplayer games.) Basically, you will have two or three groups of players; the groups will be basically indistinguishable from each other except for some minute detail that doesn't make much difference to flight performance. Each group will insist that their clan is better.

- some sub-factions within those factions. Those sub-factions hate each other for vague and shifting reasons (usually egos). (Like if you play on some other guy's server and don't get treated like a king, your player is supposed to bitch, sulk and go back to his or her own server.)

Ultimately, it should involve a bunch of egos that often suck the fun out of it.

Am I doing it right?
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

With all due respect, there's quite a few games already doing the same thing on a number of different platforms.

And there are about 1000 different baseball games in existence. Not really a problem. :)

What will yours offer that will be different?

I think he's asking us to help him answer that. My answer: puffies! Sure proximity flight is cool, but whuffos and wingies alike both love clouds! I have not even played the other games, so I don't know if they have this feature, but I'm sure if they do have it, it's not perfect!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

- a rule that says if you haven't played the demo version at least 200 times, you get sent back to the beginning of the game and bitched at by everyone in the forum.

I lolled
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Jeff, you missed a few.

If the WSer is wearing purple, he needs to be geeking back at the perspective of the camera.

If the WSer is wearing all black, he has to be wearing 9 GoPros.

If the WSer is wearing all red, he is wearing a rented suit.

If the WSer is wearing blue/yellow, that is a mistake. I don't proxy fly.:)

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Jeff, you missed a few.

If the WSer is wearing purple, he needs to be geeking back at the perspective of the camera.

If the WSer is wearing all black, he has to be wearing 9 GoPros.

If the WSer is wearing all red, he is wearing a rented suit.

If the WSer is wearing blue/yellow, that is a mistake. I don't proxy fly.:)

And if the wingsuiter is wearing white, he gets all the hot chicks B|
Brian