flydive

V2 PC reach technique?

I have always flown my V2 with the included BASE pouch for my PC but am considering skydiving with a normal BOC rig. Is the attached pic (obviously not a V2) the correct way to reach for the BOC... specifically with the hand reaching ABOVE the gripper when in flight. I would think that when you let go of the gripper, it would tend to elevate due to aero loads and not allow a grip as in the pic. Am I wrong? Reaching for the BASE pouch is so natural that I never really took into account what the gripper would be doing after I let go of it, but I swear it goes up and I reach under it for the BASE pouch. This pic reaching for the BOC goes OVER the gripper... is this correct?

First, I can't believe you're flying a V2 without knowing how to reach for the BOC. Second, yes, you go over the gripper ...

PS: I know someone that was flying a V3 and was trying to reach for the BOC by going under the wing instead of over the gripper. :S

"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Ha, thanks for the beta.

And thanks for the sticking to the dz.com stereotype of a cutdown reply... I actually wondered how many responses it would take to get a negative remark. Turns out it took the standard... just one!

Just sharing the love that comes my way :)

And thanks for the sticking to the dz.com stereotype of a cutdown reply... I actually wondered how many responses it would take to get a negative remark. Turns out it took the standard... just one!

Thanks for sticking to the www.dropzone.com stereotype of a mad skills with basic knowledge question ...

Better to ask a question as opposed to figuring it out airborne, right? Even folks with 'mad skills' don't have all the answers.
Maybe there should be a way to ask questions of people with more experience than myself. I know, we could call it a FORUM... for constructive dialogue. What a concept!

Still, thanks for your answer. It's just that the unasked for attitudes made me stop paying much attention to this forum 10 years. I came back for a quick question... yep, same ol' response styles.

Where is DorkZoneHero when you need him?

Maybe there should be a way to ask questions of people with more experience than myself. I know, we could call it a FORUM... for constructive dialogue. What a concept!

Constructive dialogue ... if you don't know how to reach the BOC you shouldn't be jumping an advanced wingsuit. Or is it only constructive dialogue if it's what you want to hear?

Reach for the hackey by rolling your thumbs towards the bottom of the BOC. "Roll"/rotate your wrist so the palm goes from facing upwards to touching the bottom of your rig (more or less as pictured).
This puts the grippers beneath your hands and allows you to slide your hands along the BOC to grasp the hackey/pud/PVC and deploy.
This method is essentially the same whether it's a small suit or a big one.

Actually I think you've asked a very good question since you can't see the position of the gripper when you reach back. And you don't deserve a smartass response for asking.

I used to throw very low on every jump. Jumping my V-2 BOC and throwing at 1500' (my max pull alt) one day I stuck my hand in the wing. Twice. On the same jump. Since that time I have always used the BASE pouch with the V-2 and V-3, I go BOC on my Raptor though with no problem. Using the BOC requires me to concentrate on technique while the BASE pouch, especially the V-2, is automatic.

I'm sure that the "no BASE pouch when flocking" concept has some merit even though I've never personally seen a problem, I have also never had someone want me to go BOC when I've asked if anyone on a flock had a problem with the BASE pouch.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I'm sure that the "no BASE pouch when flocking" concept has some merit even though I've never personally seen a problem, I have also never had someone want me to go BOC when I've asked if anyone on a flock had a problem with the BASE pouch.

I have seen it, although it was three older suits, all well-worn, and all at least second (or more) hand. People are probably more aware of the problems now that they're being discussed more, and it's probably less of an issue... but its still prudent to have a general rule, IMO, so that there aren't discussions while engines are running on a busy DZ.

[edit] They're not permitted at many large DZ's, including ours. However...if you're planning on BASE, and jumping a large wing, it's entirely a good thing to practice with a pouch from a balloon.

I'm sure that the "no BASE pouch when flocking" concept has some merit even though I've never personally seen a problem

Too bad skydivingmovies.com is no longer around. There is a good video, one that I show in my wingsuit presentation, that shows a cluster flock falling off the ramp at rantoul where purple Mike had a premie deployment with his base pouch along with one other right out the door. The thread is still out there in the forum but the link is no doubt dead. BASE pouches are for BASE jumping, not skydiving, its that old saying, use the right tool for the job.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

...I would think that when you let go of the gripper, it would tend to elevate due to aero loads and not allow a grip as in the pic. Am I wrong?...

I noticed in my V4 when I let go of the grippers surprisingly they don't move very much. They do elevate a bit like you said but not so much that you can't get around them easily. When I let go to take docks it's always right there to grab again.
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.