vitriol

Flysight and cookie G2 mount

I'm trying to figure out which mount I need to fit a flysight to a cookie G2.

Anyone has this setup?

With the template I printed it seems the best would be "90" horizontal and "141" vertical. Doesn't seem to be a model that is currently made.

Before I email flysight to see if they plan to make one, I'd like to hear how you installed your flysight. I don't wear a camera box, and would prefer a real mount to duct tape, bungees or velcro :)

Thanks a lot!

I'm trying to figure out which mount I need to fit a flysight to a cookie G2.

Anyone has this setup?

With the template I printed it seems the best would be "90" horizontal and "141" vertical. Doesn't seem to be a model that is currently made.

Before I email flysight to see if they plan to make one, I'd like to hear how you installed your flysight. I don't wear a camera box, and would prefer a real mount to duct tape, bungees or velcro :)

Thanks a lot!

I'm curious about this as well. I don't own a printer so I can't print the template. :D

I just velcro that sucker onto my helmet right now.
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.

That does seem to be just a bit too asymmetric for any of the current mounts. There's a bit of leeway in the sizing--I've found that if the measurements are off by one "step" on one of the numbers, the match will still be within 0.5 mm or so. However, the 110-110 mount--probably the best fit to your measurements--is off by a bit more than that, and checking it with the models, I don't think I'd recommend it.

The downside of the current mount design is that we need to stock so many different sizes, and machining costs dictate a minimum order volume for any new size. I'll add your measurement to the "to build" list, but I think it'll be at least a couple of months before we can get the next build going.

Michael

Thank you everyone for your help. For now, I guess I will go with the velcro and duct tape method.

Michael, thanks for taking the time to try the mounts you have on the models.

Please let me know whenever you have the mounts made in my measurements, even if it is only in a few months.

Let's just do a flysight v2 and maybe it dytter-sized with an internal speaker ;)

This is something I've thought about, but there is one major issue as I see it... The human head contains a whole lot of water, which absorbs GPS frequencies quite well. Regardless of the type of antenna used, by mounting it on the side of the head, you're losing about half your available satellites. Such a system can work--some people are using FlySight on the side of the helmet--but the data is not as robust as it would be if the device were mounted on the back of the helmet.

Add to that the fact that helmets containing, e.g., carbon fiber will reduce the signal further, and it just feels to me like the back of the helmet isn't such a bad mounting spot.

...like this ?

I am very interested to see how the pictured prototype manages given the above limitations. It's exciting to see something else coming to market!

Michael

It's exciting to see something else coming to market!

I'm sorry to disappoint you, Michael, but the device won't hit the market.

There are three main reasons:

1. Because of the lack of an perfectly dimensioned case (to fit into a dytter pocket), I modelled it myself and rapid prototyped it at work. I believe, the market is (currently) not big enough to cost effectively produce a custom casing.
2. I have two little kids, a full-time job and an expensive and time-consuming hobby (skydiving). It would have to be a killer device to make the effort worth it...
3. There's already a good device on the market, it's called FlySight, you might have heard of it ;)

The device was made as a thesis for an engineering diploma. I have designed, realized, programmed and documented it in just 4 months (while still working full-time). Therefore, there is is still a lot to improve (especially FW), but it already works and is designed to easily be added with more functions.

I am very interested to see how the pictured prototype manages given the above limitations.

Well, I'm kind of cheating, since my device does not have an onboard GPS receiver. It connects to an externally mounted GPS logger via BT. I use the HOLUX M-1200E, which is wrist-mounted next to my Neptune. It is small, has the MTKII chipset and a very good reception, even inside the plane. The ClassII BT signals have no problems getting through my CF helmet (and the water in my head). Sure, the NMEA-sentences have limitations (compared to your product), but the accuracy has so far been good enough for me.

Some, in the HW already implemented options are:
- Sub1GHz connectivity to the TI EZ430 Chronos Watch, to be used as external UI.
- Barometric pressure sensor (MEAS MS5611) for dytter functionality.
- Additional connectors for wired options (i.e. LED's, camera control,...).

Link to the presentation poster (not updated and in german).

PM me if you're intrested in more detailed info.

And sorry for getting off-topic...

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

Hi All--

I'm going to have more mounts cut soon, and would appreciate any feedback you can offer.

I'm thinking of adjusting the models we offer to cover a bit more ground, and to give preference to symmetric models where possible (so you can mount with the jack facing sideways or downward). What I have in mind is to stock the following mounts:

• 90/90
  • 110/110
  • 141/141
  • 90/141 (jack on bottom)

This eliminates two mounts we've offered previously: the 141/110 and 141/200. What I've found is that a difference of one "step" in one of the measurements gives about a 0.5 mm gap. It's better to be on the small side, since that means the corners are flush (less chance of line snag). In place of the discontinued mounts, you could use the following:

• 141/110: 110/110 or 90/141
  • 114/200: 141/141

The 141/110 has been a very popular model, so I'm hesitant to kill it, but I do think the above substitutions are solid. It's tricky to keep stock if there are too many models, so I'd like to keep the list as short as possible.

What do you think?

Michael

Any reason you can't just mount the FlySight into the Audible pockets on the helmet? Is it a signal problem?

That's the heart of it. Ideally, the FlySight should be mounted with the "top" facing the sky, since that leaves the antenna facing upward. If you turn it sideways, at best it will only see about half the available satellites. If you're standing still on the ground, this may not be an issue, but in a dynamic situation like skydiving, you might find the data quality suffers.

Michael