MrCat

Two way video with data gauges (Paralog & Dashware)

I've been playing round with Paralog and Dashware to get the export/import routines working nicely.

Paralog was as normal very easy to use but Dashware wouldn't import the glide rate/airspeed etc in. After a discussion with Dashware they explained that Dashware in it's current form will only import the lat/long and elevation but the import facility has maths features allowing you to calculate other information such as glide rate, airspeed etc etc.

Once the data import was sorted it worked like a charm allowing me to add a nice little glide rate bar and calculate the Speed. Dashware will be adding a paralog import sometime in the future (but if anyone wants it I can email you the files)

There are still some rough edges in the vid that I'm not that happy with (the PIP resize isn't quite square into the middle of the frame) but I've got better things to do with my time than re-key them!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhF0NR-xAQ

The original import took a while to sort the maths etc out but once that was done it became a matter of a few mins work to do it with another video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJxybWGx8jQ

Any suggestions on gauges would be nice - I've tried out a 'rev counter' for the glide rate and also a segmented non linear display. But this one does the job :)
Jump more, post less.

Thanks for the questions and feedback :)

I know the glide rate is low but I'm pretty sure it's right.

I used paralog as the reference point for the data. I picked a point that was easy to spot on the paralog jump profile, I then looked at the figures (on the background data table) for that data point and checked the calculated figures matched up to within a couple of percent.

The data comes from my flysight - and I'm usually in the small screen so if you are watching Peter close in from his perspective and expect the figures to change they don't.

Does that make a bit more sense??

The video has to be manually synced in with the data so there is a little bit of guess work on where the exit point is.

The speed shown is the 3d speed. I picked that as last time I showed the ground speed I was asked to show the airspeed! When I then called it 3d speed I was asked to explain it and when I did it was suggested that I call it the airspeed (I know it's not as there is no correction for wind etc...)

It's easy enough though to add another figure in though if you wanted to include it. There are 'tapes' similar to a HUD which could be put on the edges (or middle) of the display etc to show pretty much whatever data you can calculate. There are some funky calculated 'g' meters etc etc and if you wanted you could go totally over the top with gauges to show just about everything - and it's very tempting!

Do you want to see another version with just about every gauge you can think of??
Jump more, post less.

I was thinking it didn't look right based on it being a bit low and that perhaps the airspeed was ground speed (obviously it's not airspeed because gps doesn't give you that) - that's why I asked if it was 3d speed.

I don't find 3d speed particularly useful so would suggest showing ground speed instead, but it depends on your intended audience. Yu don't have to listen to people on the internet, put what you want to. :)

The video has to be manually synced in with the data so there is a little bit of guess work on where the exit point is.

Isn't the flysight's LED synced with the GPS stream so if you turn it on while filming it, it would be easy to sync it?

Isn't the flysight's LED synced with the GPS stream so if you turn it on while filming it, it would be easy to sync it?

Thanks - good idea :)

One problem with that - my flysight is mounted on the back of my camera box :)

I make it harder for myself as I leave some of the run in on my paralog jump profile (which I export as well) so I get the jump run exported.

There are two easy ways round this.
1. Delete the run in from the jump profile
2. Alter the paralog export to only export the freefall section of the profile.

I prefer the jump run to be there so when I tweaked the paralog export routine I left that data in - it's a matter of a few seconds work to remove it from the export profile.

Simply put - if you don't want to see the run in it's very very easy :)

And it's not that hard to sync the data in - it's just a question of moving a slider in the dashware software until the gauges looks like you've just exited and then ticking the sync box.
Jump more, post less.