mchamp

Human self powered flight....literally!

Is this for real done by "THE JARNO"? Or just another bloke named Jarno? Is this fake or some sort of hoax? If not.....my jaw just dropped and cracked itself on the floor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYW5G2kbrKk&feature=player_embedded
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Must be the name...

Though call me a sceptic, I'm waiting for his big announcement of a public flight on April 1st:P;)

*edit*
Browsed a few news reports.

His 'self made' wings seem to just be a normal kite with a piece cut out the center. image and most of his communications are linked to Red Bull. I'm sticking with my april fools theory, though gladly hope to be proven wrongB|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Saw a predecessor to this by another group of the same guys about a month ago, its a hoax but a very good one. Being broing think of the forces you need to overcome from self powered flight on a level surface with only arm power and running, at the moment they dont add up.

A nice video though, notice the landing is blocked and the take off and flight are very blurry. ;)
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

A nice video though, notice the landing is blocked and the take off and flight are very blurry. ;)

Brief recap of what I said in bonfire thread: close ups are too close, flight video is too far away, 'helpers' are obviously acting, wing motion and trailing edge behaviour are unnatural.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Brief recap of what I said in bonfire thread: close ups are too close, flight video is too far away, 'helpers' are obviously acting, wing motion and trailing edge behaviour are unnatural.

So can we call you "Septic"?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

They've gone to a lot of trouble with their website... http://www.humanbirdwings.net/about/flying-like-a-bird/
They're not claiming to go on human power, so I'm leaving a little hope that it's not a hoax. Just a little.

If its a hoax, they sure did a good enough job to fool Wired and the Financial Times.

Even the Mythbusters guy is giving it serious thought.

I have to say though, even if this is real, I'll bet it doesn't feel much like "human" flying (any more than being in a hang glider), since you don't have any feedback on your arms from the air resistance. I guess you could design that into a feedback control system, but in my eyes even that would be phony (and would just result in your arms getting tired faster... which admittedly would match a real flying situation if it were possible). Like many other discussions on here about "soaring" with a winged apparatus... it might be possible and it might be cool, but it's certainly a world of difference from a wingsuit. A wingsuit isn't quite human flight since we're still falling... but this other thing, if real, isn't quite human flight since there are motors.

So you have to choose:
Human falling
OR
Motorized flight

But you don't get to have human flight, not counting how we skydivers nickname falling as flying.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

At 0.18 - 24 there is a black mark across the top of the left hand wing. Does anyone else think that is evidence of digital matting?
Is more obvious if you play it full screen.

With the second shot of him lifting into the air I reckon they got a real model, smaller, to fly somehow. See the leg lift at 0.38 - 41 seems quite robotic - the legs seem frozen in place.

I just got contacted by German TV if I want to talk about 'my' wing project haha

Bawhahahaha

I watched a series of the videos on Youtube today and you can tell their videos are edited. In fact, on one of the videos was so poorly edited that you can see the guy running in mid hair before he gained flight. Busted!!!
~Migs~

On Facebook