mhjelset

Recommendations please: T-Bird or R-Bird (or Phantom 3)?

Hi all,
After trying wingsuiting for the first time a little while ago I'm finally going to be buying my own suit this summer and really get into it as my main discipline.

So far I have about 15 PF tracking suit jumps, and 10 jumps on a Tonysuit I-bird (intro suit).

Size-wise I'm 190cm & 82kgs (6'3", 180lbs).

Which of the T-bird or R-bird would you recommend I go to? I quite liked the I-bird even when the demo suit wasn't fitting me too well (a bit small), so feel I'd like to stick with Tonysuits (but feel free to convince me otherwise). I'm worried that the T-bird will get boring a bit too quickly. My goal in wingsuiting is time and distance as this interests me much more than flocking, and my aim is to start do BASE with the suit in the future as well.

Would the R-bird be suitable for my skill or is it too big a step for someone with only 10 wingsuit jumps?

You can see my first couple of jumps on the I-bird here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Norseflyer/videos

My goal in wingsuiting is time and distance as this interests me much more than flocking, and my aim is to start do BASE with the suit in the future as well.

P3. I don't think I've ever seen a T or R-bird on the cliffs (though I'm sure some are out there) but I've regularly seen guys in Phantoms going faaar. Further than me in my (semi ego driven:P) V3.

Seriously, the Phantom series is stupid good. Probably the best suit per unit surface area ever made. And I don't think I needed to write 'probably'.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I picked my R bird up at around 25 jumps after 20 jumps on a P2. The P2 is far easier to fly and a really nice suit. The R bird was a bit twitchy but ok at that point and I wouldn't suggest having less than 25 or 30 jumps before getting one. Wouldn't buy a T bird. Now I am use to the R bird it is great - 3:20 is pretty straight forward (dumping at 3,300) but much past that you rapidly lose forward drive and it gets twitchy and wants to stall (3:40 is the longest I have in it dumping at 3,300 and the suit wasn't happy). That said I can fly it with firebirds, p2s, V4, X birds and everything inbetween and take docks and whatever else so it has a lot of range (i'd say more than the P2) but the P2 flys on its back better. So it depends on what you want to do.

Thanks for the feedback on the R-bird, good to hear from someone that flies one.

For some reason I really seem to be stuck on the T-bird as an option instead of the P2, maybe it's cause it still looks like it can impress off big walls - check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRmEEPv__EA

... and it's gotta be said, I just like the wing shape alot better than the standard triangle under your arms :P (I'm vain, what can I say)

Depends on what you want out of the suit. In my experience with swapping back and forth with my buddy is the p2 is faster and much more nimble while the r bird is much more floaty and not so nimble...I prefer the p2. And dirtbox I wouldn't say the r bird flies with v4's, x birds etc more like they are flocking with the smaller suits...equal pilots those suits are gonna be long gone

Can we get a sticky at the top of this forum that says "try before you buy!"? It would really save a lot of posts.

All good suits, but what works for one might (or might not) work for others.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I'm worried that the T-bird will get boring a bit too quickly.

I have a couple of years and a couple hundred flights on my Phantom 2 (which is smaller than a T-Bird) and I'm not bored yet. If you get bored quickly, it's probably not the suit, it's probably you ... :|
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Thanks for all your input, and yes I know 'try before you buy' is what people recommend, but it's not always going to be the case.

I'll let you guys know what I went for when I order the suit in a few months:), and will post some first jump vids too:)

Where abouts are you in the UK? I have a demo Phantom 2 that should fit you, which you'd be more than welcome to jump. :)

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies