americanmarriot

Triathlon Hybrid, OK for Wing Suit Flying?

I'm a newer skydiver searching for a canopy. I would like to get a canopy that I can eventually use for wing suiting and occasional light CRW. I have read on Aerodyne’s website that their Triathlon Hybrid version is the same airfoil as their standard Triathlon, with the exception of ¾” of reinforcement tape on the leading edge and non-cascaded Center A & B lines. Also, it has the option to jump with either the standard Kill Line Pilot Chute or a retractable CRW pilot chute depending on what type of jump you’re doing. My question is: Is a Triathlon Hybrid with the standard kill line pilot chute safe for wingsuiting? Thank you very much for your feedback.
Drake

I should add that you'd be better off with a longer bridle but unless you jump a big suit a standard bridle will serve. I was thinking mostly of the canopy which is a fine choice for wingsuit.

Edited to add that the retractable is OK for w/s also, I don't see a need to change back and forth.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Edited to add that the retractable is OK for w/s also, I don't see a need to change back and forth.

I did normal freefall jumps with my hybrid tri 120 and its retractable bridle. However the retractable bridle can knot up or damage the top skin if not packed properly. Not reason enough for me to not jump the retractable for freefall, but best bear them in mind. OTOH, you don't need to cock the pilotchute on a retractable, so that's one less malfunction to worry about :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

My first wingsuit jump was on a borrowed Tri with a retractable PC (thanks Tyson!) Perfect opening, excellent beginning wing. Retractable is easy to deal with but, as you say, must be attended to. Personally I don't like Triathlons much even though I once said I'd never sell the one I owned, but they do generally open nicely and are very tame.

I recommend that you take that up with people you trust at your DZ, also there have been numerous discussions of what might be considered appropriate wingsuit canopies on this forum. The Tri is a good safe choice, I don't like it because it's a slug. Which is exactly what it was designed to be. My personal choice is a Sabre, the old original Sabre. I like mine on the small side, your wingloading is not my business.