ifell

Wingsuit landing next month?

He should just come to FL and do it. It's been nothing but a blazer here!

I don't think he can fit all that cardboard in a TSA approved carry on.

Yeah if only there was cardboard in the united states this could totally happen :(

Well maybe in the future when you guys play nice the rest of the world will allow you to develop cardboard but until then we shall have to keep inspecting your buildings to make sure you have no cardboard capabilities ;)
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Well maybe in the future when you guys play nice the rest of the world will allow you to develop cardboard but until then we shall have to keep inspecting your buildings to make sure you have no cardboard capabilities ;)

Lmao

Really, though. They could make a large brittle floating plateform with boxes on top that they could put on the Z-hills swoop pond.

This way if the boxes fail, then at least the water will be of some cushioning...

...some...

Lmao

Really, though. They could make a large brittle floating plateform with boxes on top that they could put on the Z-hills swoop pond.

This way if the boxes fail, then at least the water will be of some cushioning...

...some...

That is actually an excellent plan....a back-up soft spot, so to speak....at least on a first attempt. Maybe the WS Pilot will read this section, and consider your idea...:|

Life is short ... jump often.

Lmao

...some...

Unless the boxes float away :D

But seriously I think it's a very bad idea.
He will have both arm and legwings zipped and landing in water, with a packed rig and a helmet.

The plan on it's own is in my opinion pretty crazy, but landing in water too.
Hats of to you :P

But seriously I think it's a very bad idea.
He will have both arm and legwings zipped and landing in water, with a packed rig and a helmet.

The plan on it's own is in my opinion pretty crazy, but landing in water too.
Hats of to you :P

Landing in water zipped up, wearing rig and helmet isn't a downside, it's an upside.

-suit will stay inflated for at least 5 mins.
-Packed rig will act as a flotation device.
-any water landing would involve crew close enough to quickly retrieve if things went south.

All that said, i'm entirely confident Gary has considered these possibilities and dismissed them for one or another reason.

Looks like wednesday might be the day, according to his FB page.

"The Wingsuit Landing is ON! Looking like Wednesday, confirmation email this evening. The calm, professional and level headed english chap in this very wingsuit will soon to flying it, deliberately, into a big pile of cardboard boxes, being the first person to intentionally jump out of a helicopter and land WITHOUT using a parachute."
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

Good luck... "We stand on the shoulders of giants."

I personally think his attitude alone shows the changing times of this sport, successful or not, I like this guy's will to break a barrier. We can debate all day long on what is a 'true' landing and what is not, but the fact is that this guy is doing something different and a bunch of different will eventually bring new boundaries.

the fact is that this guy is doing something different and a bunch of different will eventually bring new boundaries.

I don't see this as 'bringing new boundaries'. This is a stunt being pulled off by a stuntman in perfect conditions with some specialized equipment and a specialized setup.

This is a cool stunt, but not something that will change the face of the sport IMO.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The first fixed object jumps (before Carl) were stunts also. Look at the activity now, it is a reliably repeatable activity (there are folks with over 3,000 jumps).

You cannot argue that this will enter into humanity's collective consciousness and change us (our conceptual framework). How much is debatable but this will provide girded framework within our imagination of what is possible*.

*whether he lives or not

Here is the point: "The first fixed object jumps (before Carl) were stunts also. Look at the activity now, it is a reliably repeatable activity"

Landing a WS like this will never be a "reliably repeatable activity".

And then looking at all the jumps made without a chute and putting it on in freefall... Those are a "reliably repeatable activity" and they really didn't change the sport at all either. Yes, it showed what was possible but it still remains a stunt.

This will be a cool stunt and if he survives it may get others to try something similar, but I don't see it becoming anything like BASE and being a "reliably repeatable activity".
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

This will be a cool stunt and if he survives it may get others to try something similar, but I don't see it becoming anything like BASE and being a "reliably repeatable activity".

Don't kid yourself. Of course it will. Will it become mainstream? Probably not, but you can bet your ass that once Gary (or someone else) successfully pulls this off, someone will follow very quickly. And then someone else, and so on.
Will everyone be doing it? Likely not, but will everyone want to? Everyone has been wanting to since the days of Icarus/Daedalus. Man wants to fly. I predict we'll see BASE into water, snow, wet grass, whatever in the coming months.There are many that could pull it off now, they just need the first person to cross the threshold, and someone who actually has the discipline to do it vs fluffing for sponsorship $$.
It's a new era. Florez set a bar for time, distance...Pecnik recently set the bar for proximity... lots of huge barriers being broken by wingsuiters on a somewhat regular basis.
It's our time.B|

Don't kid yourself. Of course it will. Will it become mainstream? Probably not, but you can bet your ass that once Gary (or someone else) successfully pulls this off, someone will follow very quickly.

Then please explain why chuteless jumps are not much more common?
They have been done, they have been done by a few people, they are repeatable.

Fact is only time will tell, but I don't see this being anything more than a stunt and I very much doubt it will become a "reliably repeatable activity" like the other poster mentioned BASE.

Time will only tell, but my money is on no.

Don't kid yourself. Of course it will. Will it become mainstream? Probably not, but you can bet your ass that once Gary (or someone else) successfully pulls this off, someone will follow very quickly.

Then please explain why chuteless jumps are not much more common?
They have been done, they have been done by a few people, they are repeatable.

Fact is only time will tell, but I don't see this being anything more than a stunt and I very much doubt it will become a "reliably repeatable activity" like the other poster mentioned BASE.

Time will only tell, but my money is on no.

Chuteless jumps are a show of balls and bravado, having very little to do with flight.
Flying includes landing.
We don't see people hitting up RedBull or other companies for big $$ to do a chuteless flight. It's been done, blah blah.
Landing a wingsuit and walking away from it fits the human dream.

Sure, it's a stunt. Like early BASE was. Re-read my previous post; I don't think *everyone* will be doing it, but a helluva lot more than are doing it now.

Everyone used to think "surfing" (swooping) would never be commonplace either. Everyone thought XRW was only a stunt, too. People are pushing the envelope in wingsuits and flying because they can. Jumping out without a parachute isn't really pushing any limits, and there certainly is little skill involved outside of the trust factor. Comparing landing a wingsuit to chuteless jumps are apples/oranges.